Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mid Range Failure - timing or ?? (Read 262 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Mid Range Failure - timing or ??
Reply #15 - 03/01/17 at 17:41:31

What sort and size Raptor did you use?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/01/17 at 19:00:34

jcstokes wrote on 03/01/17 at 17:41:31:
What sort and size Raptor did you use?

The question is
Did you put a $12.00 Chinese turd on it or a Gin U Wine Yammyhammer petcock on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 03/02/17 at 08:38:30

Not only did the 86 have a side stand safety switch,this switch had a warning light ,it's to the right of the neutral light in the speedometer.That being said I don't think it has much to due with your problem, I would be suspect of the spark coil/plug wire ,it may well be weak due to age. the coil to work well must build a strong field in the primary loop ,in a matter of milliseconds ,the faster the RPM the less time it has,so at idle speeds it could be producing a good spark ,but at higher speeds the spark could be falling off an not high enough to jump the gap at the plug.(the plug wire core is carbon impregnated fiberglass ,and can fail in as little as 5 years)I'd try swapping the coil off the bike they have that's running.You have fuel ,compression,that only leaves spark. If the CDI was toast the bike wouldn't run,the CDI retards timeing to help the bike start, and only advances the timing about 5 degrees @ about 5000 rpm ,that leaves the coil (has it ever been changed?). It's the number one suspect in my book.Did you replace the coil with a after market coil? or a used coil? either could be a problem. An aftermarket coil could have less resistance and cause flyback , that hurts proper operation of the coil and could damage the TDI.You could have a bad or loose connection, or a bad stock coil , which you could test, 1-7 ohms for the primary , 10,000 to 25,000 ohms for the secondary.

« Last Edit: 03/05/17 at 11:25:20 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/20/17 at 15:07:44

It was the cdi box!  Went through everything else and finally swapped it out, runs great again!  Ha, what a ride, thank you everyone for your suggestions Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 04/20/17 at 17:26:44

If you have issues in the future, stop by here first...it may save you some time.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/21/17 at 05:03:07

James Lynch wrote on 04/20/17 at 15:07:44:
It was the cdi box!  Went through everything else and finally swapped it out, runs great again!  Ha, what a ride, thank you everyone for your suggestions Smiley
----------------------------

Good news!  Glad it worked out for you.  I guess you'll have some carbs for sale soon.   Someone was looking for one the other day.

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/24/17 at 10:42:58

Absolutely, thank you for the package!  I'll list them here for anyone and pass the savings on, so happy to be back on the road Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mid Range Failure - timing or ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.