Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mid Range Failure - timing or ?? (Read 262 times)
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid Range Failure - timing or ??
02/28/17 at 11:23:20

Hello!  As the new season approaches I am working with my local shop to diagnose and fix a problem that crept up last year, we are all ears and hoping someone can shed a little light on what may be happening and how to address the issue.  Here's the scoop -

86 Savage, had it 4 years, runs beautifully when it runs.  Nothing too major done to it but I have swapped for a Raptor petcock, it uses a K&N filter, and I went up a size on my main jet and did the spacer mod (it was already done I just replaced the washer once) which decreased backfiring and ran a little stronger.  Otherwise I have replaced the iginition coil and starter when they began to falter but no other special work to it.  

Late last year it began to cut out at mid range RPM, whether in gear or not.  It would idle strong, then when gassed it would rev up and begin to 'miss' then backfire, then choke out if you did not let off the accelerator back to idle.  As it would continue to idle it would get worse quickly, eventually failing at lower RPM and not recovering at all.  I would let it sit a while, usually charge the battery or something, and repeat the process.  

I have the bike at Moto Classic Garage in Los Angeles, good guys and familiar actually somewhat with the Savage.  They cleaned and checked the carb, checked the plugs, compression, fuel system, and went through some basic diagnostics.  They have another Savage in the shop and have even gone through swapping pieces between the bikes to try and find the problem but no luck yet.  One mechanic thinks it is related to timing but not sure how to be sure, the other wants to plug into another black box and see if that reveals anything.  

So I am asking for any advice or suggestions, we are all pretty curious at this point what is happening ha, and as it gets warmer every day I am certainly motivated to get it back on the road.  Would the cam chain adjustor play a role in such a problem?  Is there another way to check the timing or a related component we have not tried?  Does this sound like a problem we simply haven't thought to look for?  Or is the black box truly the next thing to swap?  

Thanks so much in advance, this site is a great resource!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mid Range Failure - timing or ??
Reply #1 - 02/28/17 at 11:47:06

There's not much you can do with the timing.  Electronic pickup under the stator cover with the advance controlled electronically by the TDI.  Black boxes for the 86 thru 88 are not compatible with later years due to the connector and timing.

But, 30 yr old electronics are suspect, solder joints just don't last forever.

I suggest you go back to stock jetting and spacer to see the result.  The 86 is already rich and unless you have a straight pipe shouldn't need a larger jet.  If fact my 88 I went down a size.

Regarding the cam chain, have you checked it?  what mileage?  If it has jumped a cog (highly unlikely) it could limit the high end.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/28/17 at 11:50:16

Sounds like a lack of fuel to me.  I would check the float level.  Maybe even swap carbs if they have one.

I guess the ignitor or CDI box could be bad.  

I have a couple of spares (carbs and ignitor boxes) if you end up needing one, but is sounds like the place you are working with has stuff.

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/28/17 at 14:30:03

Thanks for the input here, I will share this with the garage as well.  A couple notes though to further clarify regarding your suggestions -

They swapped carbs on it with a nicely functioning one off another savage and the same issue occurred.  It does feel like a fuel issue however here is the strange part - it doesn't sputter or anything as it approaches it's fail point, and once it hits it there is a total loss of ignition until it catches again, not just a quick misfire.  This led the guys to look electrical issues possibly after checking the fuel system and plug.

I'll point them to this thread and see if they have some more details, thanks!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 02/28/17 at 14:55:54

Did you do anything to the muffler?  Maybe too little or too much back pressure (a plug loose and twisted sideways or either no plug at all?).

Just another thing to consider.  Our bikes need the back pressure to work properly and major increases or decreases ca impede performance.

Good luck.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 02/28/17 at 15:25:07

Your using the raptor petcock ,I'd check to make sure whatever was used to plug the port for the vacuum line isn't leaking, and causing the motor to run lean. I'd also take a look at the carb diaphragm for pinhole leaks and the TEV valve and passages if they weren't cleaned.Make sure the washer is put back in place just above the main jet,it holds the needle jet up in place ,and the carb will run super rich(flood) above idle without it.Let us know how you make out.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 02/28/17 at 17:23:27

Check your side stand safety switch, they have a bad habit of acting up and shutting off the engine.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/28/17 at 18:08:53

This is all great input right off the bat, thanks!  I'm going to stop by tomorrow and talk through them with the guys, I'll report back from there.

Concerning muffler though, I never touched it but it is an aftermarket exhaust, I think close to stock just cut a little shorter and straighter at the end I'll try to grab a pic if interested more on that.

Concerning the petcock, I'll double check good idea, I plugged it with a nice little rubber cap fit snugly and replaced it actually about a year and a half ago because the original one I used began to look weathered and brittle.  I'll double check all the fittings tomorrow though and go over the questions about carb and washer to check all points.

And ed I'm actually unaware of the side stand safety switch?  Is that something the 86 models have?  I just haven't ever seen that mentioned, will check it out though thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/28/17 at 20:27:53

I'd hafta hook an induction timing light on the plug wire and see how the ignition system is acting. It's either gonna be flashing so fast it looks like a steady lite or not. At 3,500 rpm you'll get 7,000 flashes a minute.Will that fry one? IDK..
I've heard of spark plugs breaking down under load,
If I saw steady ignition by the light, I'd swap out the plug. Easy as that is, I'd probably start there. Crud hides next to the plug, blow it clear first, examine, whatever you are comfortable with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/01/17 at 03:57:51

James Lynch wrote on 02/28/17 at 11:23:20:
They cleaned and checked the carb, checked the plugs

Did they replace the plug with a new one?

It is impossible to look at a plug and tell if it is any good...what matters is what it does when the engine is running and under load.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #10 - 03/01/17 at 06:32:16

Good luck. At least you can be comfortable knowing that your bike is in good hands.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/01/17 at 06:56:12

James,

Don't overlook checking that the gas cap is venting properly.

Over the course of riding for 65 years I have had clogged fuel tank vents, and partially clogged fuel tank vents, more often than I like to admit.

I would say this can be one of the most elusive conditions to detect.

Kenny G   Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 03/01/17 at 08:29:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/28/17 at 20:27:53:
I'd hafta hook an induction timing light on the plug wire and see how the ignition system is acting. It's either gonna be flashing so fast it looks like a steady lite or not. At 3,500 rpm you'll get 7,000 flashes a minute.Will that fry one? IDK..
I've heard of spark plugs breaking down under load,
If I saw steady ignition by the light, I'd swap out the plug. Easy as that is, I'd probably start there. Crud hides next to the plug, blow it clear first, examine, whatever you are comfortable with.

Sure,the mechanic can swap out the ignition, If they're compatible. Some year models don't work with the wrong year model engine, or so I have, possibly, wrongly gathered here.
A timing light would seem like such an easy test.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/01/17 at 13:13:50

Kenny G wrote on 03/01/17 at 06:56:12:
James,

Don't overlook checking that the gas cap is venting properly.

Over the course of riding for 65 years I have had clogged fuel tank vents, and partially clogged fuel tank vents, more often than I like to admit.

I would say this can be one of the most elusive conditions to detect.

Kenny G   Undecided

No kidding. I picked up a cobbled-up Honda CT110 last summer. Originally a Cal version with the charcoal canister attached to the fuel tank. Owner had plugged the line to the canister. It ran fine for 5 minutes, then sputtered and conked out. Push home, check everything, find nothing, scratch head. Kick over, starts right up, 5 minutes, conks out. Disconnect canister, problem solved. Solution: The canister line was the tank vent. Order vented gas cap, all is now well. Open the tank and run it to see if that helps.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #14 - 03/01/17 at 13:56:05

Dan,

I have had similar problems to darned often over the years. If anything acts up on the engine the first thing I do is loosen the gas cap and see if the problem goes away.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:31:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mid Range Failure - timing or ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.