Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cargo/Backpack rails/rack suggestions. (Read 430 times)
JIbber Jabber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cargo/Backpack rails/rack suggestions.
02/26/17 at 19:29:04

Two weeks ago I dislocated my shoulder as a result of my bike slipping in wet conditions. At the time I was only going 5 mph, and was wearing a 20lb backpack, and I believe it was the weight of my backpack that caused me to dislocate my shoulder. Are there any rails or racks out there that can support the weight of a 20-25 backpack ? All suggestions welcome (besides for the Suzuki backseat/sissybar/rack combo).

Thx

IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Re: Cargo/Backpack rails/rack suggestions.
Reply #1 - 02/26/17 at 20:01:29

Jibber Jabber, I have the Suzuki Back rest and I modified a luggage carrier from a Yamaha Riva scooter to fit. The rack is twice as long as the stock rack and it has tie down lugs to secure your cargo. However the height of the sissy bar is not high enough to secure a tall back pack to. Your best bet would be to get a taller (14-16 inch tall) back rest and place your pack in front of the back rest on the passenger seat and use a small cargo net to secure it. I had a similar accident a couple of years ago and I broke 2 ribs. It is a good thing you weren't going much faster as the severity of the injuries goes up dramatically with speed. Hope you heal quickly. Jeff

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 02/26/17 at 20:24:48

The trouble with backpacks is the tend to carry the weight to high, even a small pair of saddlebags would bring the load lower,carry as much,and might help protect your bike and you in a fall.If you need to you could roll up an empty backpack against the back rest to carry things away from the bike if that suits your needs.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 02/27/17 at 01:18:13

FWIW, I installed a pair of small saddlebags to carry basics on day rides, like a hat, sunscreen etc. When I need to carry more I put the heavy stuff in the bags and light bulky stuff in a backpack.

But I guess it depends what you need to carry. I couldn't go camping with my setup.

batman wrote on 02/26/17 at 20:24:48:
The trouble with backpacks is the tend to carry the weight to high, even a small pair of saddlebags would bring the load lower,carry as much,and might help protect your bike and you in a fall.If you need to you could roll up an empty backpack against the back rest to carry things away from the bike if that suits your needs.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
JIbber Jabber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/27/17 at 10:10:35

Thanx for your responses  

Rob: can you post pictures and links of your setup.  

Batman/Islandroad: I use my pack back to carry papers and therapy supplies and I commute to  a few different locations daily, so saddle bags wouldn't be convenient or be big enough.

The closest thing that I found was Ventura bike racks that supposedly has one for the s40, but I just wanted to know if anybody had or was using something else.

IP Logged
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
Reply #5 - 03/01/17 at 14:29:00

The Ventura racks are excellent

IMGP6519.JPG

Red 2015 S40, Boulevard screen, Ventura rack
  IP Logged
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
Reply #6 - 03/01/17 at 14:30:15

And here's another shot

Jasbee

IMGP6510.JPG

IP Logged
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
Reply #7 - 03/01/17 at 14:54:14

Finally found a picture where the Ventura is without bag so you can see it better

Jasbee

KS1W2684.JPG

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 03/01/17 at 20:08:59

It's just my opinion,but the Ventura places the weight of anything you carry ,beyond the rear axle ,even more so if put it on the rear of the rack to make way for riding two up.This takes weight off the front tire and may hamper handling ,and breaking,and the weight is even higher than the fuel tank.On a small and light bike such as ours ,this could be bad.If you move the rear turn signals back near the taillight, as many have,there is room for saddlebags that would easily handle as much or more,you could find bags that have quick releases and they could be carried inside much like a briefcase.

« Last Edit: 03/02/17 at 08:30:30 by batman »  

IP Logged
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
Reply #9 - 03/02/17 at 14:44:13

I travel with a double Ventura bag pack and don't find any handling or braking problems caused by excess rear weight, but I ensure I don't put heavy stuff in the rearmost bag. You can carry a lot of gear with this setup! The bags come on and off easily. By comparison I find panniers fiddly.

Jasbee

KS1W2822.JPG

IP Logged
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
Reply #10 - 03/02/17 at 14:51:37

And here's another picture. I think it looks neat, a small bike punching above its weight. I include a 5 litre plastic jerry can in my luggage, so range is vastly improved, theoretically up to 375 kms, but certainly safe to go over 300 kms

KS1B3952.JPG

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 03/03/17 at 02:20:12

I am glad to see you wear a full face helmet ,that way if someone ever rear ends you and those packs drive you through the windshield you'll have some protection,I'm not to thrilled by the 5 liter bomb being in the mix, you may have to change your name from Jasbee to Fireball.but to each his own.

IP Logged
pam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Mitchell, KY
Reply #12 - 03/03/17 at 05:46:07

Jasbee ... do you have a link for that backrest rack??? or can you give me more info...as is it ..made for the s 40 or is this and universal rack ....?? i do like that alot...just dont know if i can find it in USA

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/03/17 at 06:09:35

pam wrote on 03/03/17 at 05:46:07:
Jasbee ... do you have a link for that backrest rack??? or can you give me more info...as is it ..made for the s 40 or is this and universal rack ....?? i do like that alot...just dont know if i can find it in USA

http://www.ventura-mca.com/fitments

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jasbee
YaBB Newbies

One pot does it

Canberra, Australia
Reply #14 - 03/03/17 at 22:03:22

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:21:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cargo/Backpack rails/rack suggestions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.