Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins (Read 1426 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins
02/22/17 at 20:46:58

Look here for directions, maps, rough overview of the facilities which include toilet and a shower.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/cheoah-point-cabin-2/r/campgroundDetails.d...

HEAR YE, HEAR YE !!!

We got us a FREE LIST TRIP on April 23-25 with a paid for FREE six man cabin for you to stay in (got four theoretical slots still open with floor room for more).

Santeetlah Lake Cabin #2 is the spot and we can show up starting at 11:00 AM on Sunday April 23.   First arrival can simply go enter the cabin as it will not be locked (the door has a latch that can only be locked once we are inside for the night).

You will need to bring a sleeping bag, pillow and whatever you like for a mat or mattress.   Food will come from wherever we stop at night, so don't bring a lot of stuff to cook and eat, although we have a fire ring and wood that is provided for some rough cooking.

To indicate interest, just post in the thread below.   Anticipated temps will be circa 50o to 65o but them unexpected mountain temperature dips do happen so pack a fuzzy blanket and some thermal undies along with your sleeping bag so you are covered "just in case".
« Last Edit: 02/23/17 at 14:34:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

540x360.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabi
Reply #1 - 02/22/17 at 23:13:20

Here is what the outside of the cabin looks like, complete with gravel picnic pad and fire ring.

Purpose of this trip is to spot potential new places for group stays and this one looks to be good for 4-6 people trips (and by using cots, etc. this number can likely be expanded some in our standard fashions).

All open questions can either be resolved by a call to the Ranger Station, or else be discovered experiential by doing it.   Being a Federal park, they got various rules and stuff, so we will learn by doing .....
« Last Edit: 03/06/17 at 10:38:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

13.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 02/24/17 at 17:50:05

No interest?   Somebody speak up ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/24/17 at 19:01:53

Does the FREE trip include free shipping and handling from/ to Oklahoma ?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 02/24/17 at 21:42:18

Does the FREE trip include free shipping and handling from/ to Oklahoma ?

Ya could have company on the part from middle Tn. to NC.    Tongue

The last of April is a long ways off ,   The invite is open till we get 6 total then bring a tent and your still welcome .  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 02/25/17 at 00:30:18

too far from Colorado

did I see plans for a trip to my colorful state posted here some where??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 02/25/17 at 01:42:25

Yes, Verslagen proposed one,  it's in the trip listing that is up in the stickies.  

We have some new members that are less than two and a half hours away from this trip if they wanted to come.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 02/25/17 at 21:34:50

So ,

By the last of April  we will have had almost two months of Sunshine , Warm , Beautiful days ....  DogWood winter will be over , and Blackberry winter will have just ended  .  
The "  itch    to "Take a Ride "  will be all-over all of us !  

By then we might have some-body trailer-ing  to the area and bring enough charcoal to cook BBQ-Chicken for everybody .    Kinda a "Spring-Ride" to be remembered for a long time !    

Come to think of it :   I can haul a bag of Charcoal and a Big Pack of Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast in the trunk on my bike !!!  Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/03/17 at 09:12:42

Santeetlah Lake Exploratory Trip   April 23, 24, 26   Oldfeller and MM

This is a free trip.    Cabin has been reserved and paid for.   What is missing are Savage.com people interested in the ride.   We still have 3 bed slots open.  Trip is now opened to MM's CMA rider friends and any other friends that you can vouch for.   Speaky speaky, don't be squeaky.   Fill them beds on up .....

I'm kinda interested in the whole lake complex -- for a federal facility they seem to have their heads on straight as far as having 3 managed campgrounds, five (5) Ranger Stations and still having all those dozens of free "open to the first taker" camping places that we have been spotting on already.

I am curious as to if it is "by the person" or "by the tent space" at the three full service campgrounds?   We could make us some cost advantage using a big tent if it is by the tent space.   I also want to know if there is a shower at one of the payme campgrounds in the complex.   Yes, see below.

So, we are proposing April 23, 24, 26 ???  

I found another free site with a toilet facility.   It is actually on the Cherohola Skyway side of Santeetlah Lake.  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/...

I also see mention of 2 cabins that you can put up to six people into each at a cost of $35 per cabin a night.  That is dirt cheap compared to where we have been staying.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/cheoah-point-cabin-2/r/campgroundDetails.d...     YES, there is an open to all campers shower facility 150 feet from Cabin #1 (and Cabin #2, but slightly further away).   You can book this place on line, makes it easy to do.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/...     Here is another map that shows the town with a satellite shot.

Costs     FREE PRIMITIVE campsites, Campground based tent sites $15 per night first come first serve; $20 per night for RV sites; $35 per night for cabins that hold six (plus a tent on the gravel fire pad if you need overflow).

Next, there is a tiny little town actually out in the lake that is named Santeetlah, apparently it was a town in the area before the lake was filled in and wound up with water on three sides out on a peninsula.   It is still a tiny incorporated town made up mostly of rich people's lake homes that is showing up on the map above.

Yes, we can spend some time poking around and find a range from free to cheap and we may actually maybe find someplace worth calling "home base" for a group run.

(Dave is going to want to go now, as he is deeply suspicious of "free to nearly free", but he won't turn down a decent place with a shower and a roof over his head -- just no barking dogs, please)

I bet these two cabin places gets booked up a year in advance on the summer weekends.   Weekdays, not so likely.    Roll Eyes

Cabin #2 - there is room for an additional small tent if you want but it can not be set up on the grass (only within the gravel pad). So it does make the eating area a bit cramped. Nice view of the lake but a longer walk to your car and the bathroom.    I also see a fire pit and firewood .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/03/17 at 09:54:24

Would I like to? Ohhh yeah, but a Google search tells me it's over twelve hours in a car, so,the bike and all the stops would greatly increase that. I'd be crapped out when I got there. Boy, that looks like a Gorgeous place to ride. Fella might even get some fishing in.. The spring camping/fishing trip to Galveston with Reelthing is still looking like a go. I'm gonna stick Daves front sprocket on and see how it acts.
I hope everyone who makes that trip has as good of a time as I Think I would. Hopefully the lake road doesn't have a twenty m.p.h. limit. It's thirty around Lake Hawkins. Everything inside the road is leased from the city, and public. I can walk out on a boat dock or pier and fish and nobody says a thing. Just a forty five minute ride through the country away. AND it's only a few miles outta the way to hit the lake and fish, then head on to the doctor, hit it again on the way home.. Probably not as pretty as up there, but Boy does it beat Odessa...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 03/03/17 at 10:22:36

Justin, all you have to do is get to Oklahoma and then you can get Lancer to go with you the rest of the way.   PM the man and work out the details ....  

I think you can pick up MM in line on the way too, which gives you another night's free snooze spot.

Plan it right and you are there, at a minimal cost as gas, etc is shared between the two of you.   Simple, easy chunks of distance, not too body tiring or bike beating.

So actually, you could ride up to Lancer's place on the first day, pick him up and then ride on the next day to MM's place (either in a truck or still on bikes if you are bold enough).  

If you are tuckered out, plan a layover at MM's for recovery if you need it.   MM has cots, so you don't need to haul the world, just a sleeping bag and air mattress.

Think of this one as the Adventure you were planning when you bought your new Savage .....

Guys,     Justin has never been to the Dragon area with us, ever ......     He doesn't know how wonderful those mountains really are.

« Last Edit: 03/03/17 at 16:06:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/03/17 at 13:05:52

Lancer , where in Oklahoma are you?
The dates just might work out. I have a tent and a very packable cot. My diet is limited. I can't eat just anything. Any MSG and I'm down. Of course, non organic stuff with pesticides mess me up. I'll be shaking like a Parkinson's patient.
Time to get the grandson from school. Bye.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 03/03/17 at 15:32:25

Guys , I think it would be good to offer  Safe , Low/No-Cost over night spots to each other .  "We" are so many that if only 20% of us can offer a yard-spot or couch to our fellow Savage-s , then one of the biggest cost of going to places/events would disappear .  

So , in that Sprit  , I have an overnight spot (in the Garage) that is easy ,dry , 40" TV (antenna 20+channels) , not to good internet (but works), one couch , one big chair , and a few cots.      

Moderators ...
Would it be nice to have a "sticky"  titled  ... ???  "... The Savage Travelers Spots ... "

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/03/17 at 16:15:51

Wink

Somebody who has Lancer's phone number give him a ring and tell him he has PMs stacking up on him .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 03/03/17 at 16:54:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/03/17 at 13:05:52:
Lancer , where in Oklahoma are you?
The dates just might work out. I have a tent and a very packable cot. My diet is limited. I can't eat just anything. Any MSG and I'm down. Of course, non organic stuff with pesticides mess me up. I'll be shaking like a Parkinson's patient.
Time to get the grandson from school. Bye.

Unfortunately I will not be able to go on this trip, the dates of the ride overlap with the dates of our statewide CMA Rally and Paula and I have been slated for that for months.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:30:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Free Trip -- Dragon Area, Santeetlah Lake Cabins

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.