Air box: parts question (Read 77 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Air box: parts question
02/21/17 at 13:11:13

Hey guys, I discovered last night that my air box has a part missing. I think a previous owner must have ditched it. It's part #10 on the attached diagram.

I can't find any photos online that show the inside of the part so I don't know if it regulates the airflow to the air box. I also can't find anywhere that sells the part by itself.

Does this part have much effect on the airflow to the carb?
Does it affect the vacuum condition or tuning of the carb?
Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks

Air_Box_Parts.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Air box: parts question
Reply #1 - 02/21/17 at 13:22:50

That's weird....Suzuki shows it on the parts diagram and numbers it, then doesn't provide a way for you to buy it.

The part is there to help reduce the sound that can come out of the air box when you have the throttle open.....and it may also help to direct water away from the paper element.

I am sure there are plenty of us on this forum that will have an old air box laying around....and we can send you the part.  I will look and see what I have at home.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/21/17 at 13:35:21

I think that disappeared the first time I saw it.
Never missed it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #3 - 02/21/17 at 13:35:54

That's great. Thanks Dave  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 02/21/17 at 13:37:37

Thanks JOG, I'll probably replace it anyway, but good to know it doesn't change the airflow significantly Smiley

IslandRoad wrote on 02/21/17 at 13:35:54:
That's great. Thanks Dave  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/21/17 at 13:50:23

The real answer is
The longer and harder you beat on it, the more parts you get.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 02/21/17 at 14:20:31

Do two halves make a 'hole' ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/21/17 at 14:29:22

It does increase the backpressure when installed.
Putting it back will make the a/f mixture richer.

And yes I have a couple lying on the floor.

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 02/21/17 at 14:41:46

Ah, I suspected it might do something like that.

My carb tuning has just not quite been going how it seems it should, based off what I've read on the forum. I'm a newbie so I don't yet know what I don't know.

I've been going richer, to a point, it still doesn't  feel quite right, but I decided to leave the tuning and check out other possible sources of air that might be affecting the mix. I was starting to think I was just being too pedantic.

However, I found I had a faulty petcock, so the Raptor helped things along a lot, and I reckon this might just tighten things up that little bit more.

I would really appreciate it if you could send me one. I'll PM you so you can let me know how much, and how to get the payment to you.

Cheers Smiley

verslagen1 wrote on 02/21/17 at 14:29:22:
It does increase the backpressure when installed.
Putting it back will make the a/f mixture richer.

And yes I have a couple lying on the floor.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/22/17 at 03:18:46

I had to go pick up a new motorcycle last night......so I didn't have time to root through the pile.  I am pretty sure I got one somewhere.

And our jetting advice might also need a bit of adjustment for your use in Australia.....the fuel that they sell you may be completely different than what we use in the US.  Most of our fuel has 10% ethanol blended in, and that requires jets that are just a little bit larger than it would for pure gasoline.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 02/22/17 at 11:18:26

Thanks Dave, funny you should mention the fuel. I was just looking into the fuel differences. The guy who sells Mikuni carbs here in Australia also mentioned it when I was inquiring about jets. I'm gonna hold off on any more tuning until I get the snorkel onto the airbox ,then I'll go through the jetting again a step at a time ☺.

Don't stress about finding the part, Verslagen1 told me he has a couple of them handy and offered to send me one ☺

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 02/24/17 at 02:19:08

Dave, I was talking to a good friend of mine yesterday about fuel differences between the States and Australia. He's a small engine mechanic (power tools and bikes) with 30 years experience - including dealing with imported products from the USA.

He told me that the fuel here is different from the States in that our fuel tends to be "fatter". That is, "there's more in there that burns" as well as more complex (larger) molecules.

Anyway, the point he was making is that the effect is actually counter-intuitive. He has found, with imported small engines from the States, that they tend to arrive here set too lean for our fuel (we don't really have emission control laws here for power tools so these are stock from the supplier) - and they can run very hot. He speculates that our fuel generates a slower burn, and possibly is more viscous (slowing the flow through the jets).

Whatever the reason behind it, he finds he has to tune engines from the States the same way he would to make an engine run richer, to compensate for the difference in the fuel.

At the end of the day, I'll be tuning for my specific engine, but I found the conversation fascinating - and relevant to this discussion  Smiley

Dave wrote on 02/22/17 at 03:18:46:
I had to go pick up a new motorcycle last night......so I didn't have time to root through the pile.  I am pretty sure I got one somewhere.

And our jetting advice might also need a bit of adjustment for your use in Australia.....the fuel that they sell you may be completely different than what we use in the US.  Most of our fuel has 10% ethanol blended in, and that requires jets that are just a little bit larger than it would for pure gasoline.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:42:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air box: parts question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.