Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throttle Restricter in Boulevard S40 (Australia) (Read 557 times)
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Throttle Restricter in Boulevard S40 (Australi
Reply #15 - 10/19/18 at 19:53:30

There are engine size restrictions and power/weight restrictions for learners.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/motorcycles/licence-types

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #16 - 10/20/18 at 01:06:22

bobert_FSO wrote on 10/19/18 at 19:45:28:
IslandRoad, does AU have motorcycle horsepower restrictions for learners or for young drivers? It seems that somewhere I have heard of such restrictions, maybe in Europe. Possibly the throttle restrictor is there to limit horsepower (as low as it is already) to allow young riders to legally operate a Savage/S40.

I really can't see how it would be part of an emissions system.

Yes we have restrictions. For the first three years of riding we cannot ride a bike larger than 660cc. The bike must also comply with a certain weight to power ratio. Bikes in this category are labelled as Learner Approved Motorcycles (LAMS).

Another Australian member on the forum (who rides a Savage) did the math, and the S40 is well within the ratio - even with the restrictor removed.

All I can think of is that it has something to do with noise control - given that our bikes do sport a noise compliance sticker.

Incidentally, I believe it's actually illegal here to adjust the carb or play with the air intake and exhaust ... It's 'technically' illegal, but common. I know of at least one insurance company that will accept re-jetting and a slip-on exhaust without affecting premiums etc.

I can't think of any other reason for it apart from the noise issue.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #17 - 10/20/18 at 01:07:47

chrischrischris wrote on 10/16/18 at 03:39:00:
got mine out and did spacer mod and rejetted, massive improvement!

Glad to hear you got her tuned up nice. I was stoked with the results when I tuned mine properly. For me, it was also a great introduction to working on my bike.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MotoSamoa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/03/19 at 12:32:17

What jets were required after removing the restrictor?  I live in Samoa, where it is always about 30C and quite humid.  I feel that it may be a bit lean standard, as it tends to pop and backfire like when it is running out of fuel.

I ask, as I will have to order them online and wat a month or so for them to get here, so I need to be prepared before doing anything

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #19 - 01/05/19 at 00:56:21

It is helpful to know where you are at before you can figure out where to go
My bike was stock and was fitted with 145 main jet 52.5 pilot jet the pilot screw was 3/4 turn open  I am at sea level in New Zealand and the bike backfired on closing the throttle  and surged on opening the throttle .
I fitted a 150 main jet kept the 52.5 pilot jet, opened the pilot screw to 2 turns open and trimmed the white spacer down to 2.2mm from 2.8mm original
[ Not all at once that is what I finished up with]
Very happy with results Bike runs much better thanks to advice from the guys on this forum
There was no restrictor in my carburettor
Good instructions on how to do all this on this forum

Hiko   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #20 - 01/07/19 at 12:33:11

MotoSamoa wrote on 01/03/19 at 12:32:17:
What jets were required after removing the restrictor?  I live in Samoa, where it is always about 30C and quite humid.  I feel that it may be a bit lean standard, as it tends to pop and backfire like when it is running out of fuel.

I ask, as I will have to order them online and wat a month or so for them to get here, so I need to be prepared before doing anything

Hi MotoSamoa,

If you have a restrictor, removing it will not really affect which jets are right for the bike. I'm running a Dyna muffler (which apparently has very similar airflow to the stock muffler). I'm also running the stock air-box and filter.

You are correct, the bike is set up very 'lean' from the factory.

My adjustments are similar to Hiko's except I went a bit richer on the main jet, and if I recall correctly, a bit richer on the spacer mod. My spacer is between 0.3 and 0.4 of the original thickness (I used washers so I could tweak the thickness). My bike is probably just a touch on the rich side. I tried it a bit leaner. This gave slightly snappier performance but the engine ran a bit hotter and it introduced a slight 'lean surge' at low throttle. So I opted to tune out the surge and accept a slightly rich running condition. I get the occasional small backfire from the muffler when I change gears in the low range. However the weather (temperature, air pressure, humidity etc) affects the tuning, so the ride varies with the weather (we're talking tiny differences at this stage).

As for ordering jets - I ordered two steps below stock, and two steps above, for the pilot and main jets, so I could experiment with the setup. I ordered them here in Australia from these guys https://www.mikunioz.com. They were only a few dollars each. The guy there was really helpful on the phone, after he told me the best way to get the most out of the stock carb was to tie it to a fishing line and use it as a sinker! hahaha

As for idle-speed, I have mine set to about 1400 rpm. I found that if I go any lower, the engine will cut out if I rev the bike and suddenly drop the throttle back (as in an emergency stop).

If you haven't already, I highly recommend this excellent thread on carb tuning - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

Good luck, and let us know how you go.

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 01/17/20 at 03:23:58

Islandroad, I have a 2016 s40 and I'm looking to up the main jet to a 150. I contacted Mikunioz and guy knows his stuff. So much so I'm confused as. Are you able to advise me what was the exact main jet you purchased as per their website?...

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #22 - 01/17/20 at 11:32:50

Psydton3,

Main jet (choose the size from the drop down list on the page):

https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/n100-604-main-jet-large-round/?v=6cc98ba2045f

Pilot jet (choose the size from the drop down list on the page):

https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/n151-067-pilot-jet-non-bleed-type/?v=6cc98ba2045f

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/26/20 at 17:24:16

Rejetted mine this weekend to a 152.5 main. Opened up the top to do the spacer mod Sure enough the nylon throttle restrictor was present and yep an aussie 2016 s40. I've removed this. I got the bike started and it idles... now to tune the thing. I'm a noob to the carby tuning game so any hints would be awesome Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #24 - 01/26/20 at 19:54:19

I think the best thing to know is that the jets overlap. So, start with the pilot jet. Get that right, then go to the spacer on the needle jet (that affects acceleration through the mid range). Then focus on the main jet (WOT).

I reckon everything you need to know is in the tutorial I linked to a couple of posts back in this thread.

IP Logged
DanJa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/17/21 at 02:26:08

Awesome! this info is all great, I have a 2017 S40, and about to get ready to tune things up a little Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #26 - 06/17/21 at 23:43:45

DanJa wrote on 06/17/21 at 02:26:08:
Awesome! this info is all great, I have a 2017 S40, and about to get ready to tune things up a little Smiley

That's awesome! Good luck with it. let us know how you go.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:32:30

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Throttle Restricter in Boulevard S40 (Australia)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.