Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with carb (Read 176 times)
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Re: Help with carb
Reply #15 - 02/10/17 at 05:41:32

Well its snowing here in NY right now and as some of you may know I have to do all my work out on the New York City streets, fun! As soon as it clears I will be trying once again to get this darn stripped bolt outa here!

I am surprised what soft metal some of the OEM nuts and bolts are made from, I guess it has something to do with their need to be able to expand and contract but it really doesnt surprise me that an issue such as this has been caused....you over torque these things just a little and they are DONE!

Thanks so much for all your responses thus far....I love this community

IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #16 - 02/22/17 at 11:34:12

Just wanted to let you guys know...I did get the bolt off after a lot of effort!!

Ended up using some really good quality needle nose clamping pliers and had to grip the bolt at the widest point and literally gradually turn it....and I am talking...couldn't turn it more than 1/32 of a turn at a time! Once I had got it almost a full revolution i was able to them just grip it with my fingers and finger turn it loose and out.

I have to admit I did just replace all four nuts with brand new OEM bolts....I know a lot of you advised using alan key bolts etc. but I already had these and when using the correct JIS screwdriver for the job they seemed reasonably sturdy....maybe next time I need to work on the carb I will make the change.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/22/17 at 17:31:49

JD,

Make sure you put some Never Sieze on the on the screws or bolts the next time you can get to them.

With the proper JIS screwdriver, and not using thread locker, the screws will last the life of the motorcycle. So you should be OK.

Kenny G

IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #18 - 02/24/17 at 10:06:19

Kenny G wrote on 02/22/17 at 17:31:49:
JD,

Make sure you put some Never Sieze on the on the screws or bolts the next time you can get to them.

With the proper JIS screwdriver, and not using thread locker, the screws will last the life of the motorcycle. So you should be OK.

Kenny G

Thanks for the advice Kenny, I did use a little Never Sieze on the screws/bolts and made sure not to over torque.

Hopefully we should be good from here on out...I even replaced the bowl drain screw as it was also looking like it was on its was on its last legs. Lots of nice shiny new bolts/screws....for now!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:27:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.