Send Topic Print
Help with carb (Read 176 times)
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Help with carb
02/09/17 at 12:18:30

Hi all,

some ape who owned my bike at some point of its history has made a mess of the carb. Nothing huge and the bike runs fine...however after fitting a Jardine muffler it definitely needs a rejet.

Got in touch with Lancer and got the Jetset but when it came to removing the float bowl was when I realized the mess. The ape has completely stripped one of the 4 bolts that fits the float bowl to the carb...infact on further inspection i think he has actually used the wrong bolt (possibly a little too big).

Unless advised otherwise I am guessing I need to replace the whole unit in order to do the necessary jetting. If so....

1. does anyone have a carb in good condition for sale

or

2. what carb (upgrade) should be bought new? Aside from the muffler everything is pretty stock so not looking for a particularly performance upgrade but if there is something that is worth the money I am always happy to level up.

« Last Edit: 02/10/17 at 05:42:09 by JDNewYork »  
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Help with carb
Reply #1 - 02/09/17 at 12:34:08

JD,

Take a small vice grip pliers and lock it on the questionable bolt and remove it. Use the same procedure to remove the other 3 bolts. Replacing the carburetor is quite expensive. You can find good stainless steel, Allen Head replacement machine screws at ACE Hardware and may other sources.

Quite possibly Dave on the forum still has a complete set of Allen head screws that he can sell you.

Good Luck!,

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 02/09/17 at 13:06:59

You could live with it if you can remove the bolt or you could PM Wordet 11  He has  a stock carb for sale in the market place for $150 with cable ,extra jets an hoses,off a 2002 .I just got some parts from him that arrived today ,he was a pleasure to deal with!(new carb from Suzuki is over $500 )

« Last Edit: 02/09/17 at 22:21:16 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #3 - 02/09/17 at 13:11:06

Kenny G wrote on 02/09/17 at 12:34:08:
JD,

Take a small vice grip pliers and lock it on the questionable bolt and remove it. Use the same procedure to remove the other 3 bolts. Replacing the carburetor is quite expensive. You can find good stainless steel, Allen Head replacement machine screws at ACE Hardware and may other sources.

Quite possibly Dave on the forum still has a complete set of Allen head screws that he can sell you.

Good Luck!,

Kenny G

The other 3 bolts came off without issue actually (annoyingly it was this one which was the last I attempted to loosen.

I actually have a new set of the 4 bolts as I have already tried using regular pliers to grip the bolt (and I was expecting that after my 'success' I would simply replace all with fresh OEM bolts.

I dont have any really small vice grip pliers but maybe its worth investing in some to give this a try.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/09/17 at 13:28:31

JD,

The mini vice grips only cost a couple of bucks.

What ever screws that you use, anything is better than the OEM screws, put some Never Seize on the threads before reassembling the carb. If you don't have a set of Japanese Industrial Standard screwdrivers (aka as JIS screwdrivers) it would pay to by a set if you are going to tinker with motorcycles.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=16...

Kenny G

IP Logged
JDNewYork

1999 Suzuki Savage

NYC, NY
Reply #5 - 02/09/17 at 13:41:31

Kenny G wrote on 02/09/17 at 13:28:31:
JD,

The mini vice grips only cost a couple of bucks.

What ever screws that you use, anything is better than the OEM screws, put some Never Seize on the threads before reassembling the carb. If you don't have a set of Japanese Industrial Standard screwdrivers (aka as JIS screwdrivers) it would pay to by a set if you are going to tinker with motorcycles.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=16...

Kenny G

A good point Kenny, and I do have a set of JIS screwdrivers (I am guessing a prior ownder did not!)

Wasnt aware of the hatred of OEM bolts etc!! but thats interesting and good to know...I just went the OEM route as I wanted to make sure I was using the exact match bolts....I am always a little scared I will make the wrong choice of 'aftermarket' bolts/screws especially when working with Japanese motors but I can definitely see the advantage of using hex bolts as you recommended.

I will get a small pair of vice grip pliers and report back!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/09/17 at 13:47:02

Goto the tech section index, look up carb specs, skip all the way to the bottom.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 02/09/17 at 13:47:53

Drill the head off the bolt. Then with the bowl removed you'll have plenty of room to remove the shank and threaded portion.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/09/17 at 16:58:27

I have sets of all of the 4 top, 4 bottom & the 3 side cover screws on the stock CV carb; stainless steel, allen head.
PM or email me if you are interested.

I also have a CV carb if you need one.

(Or a Mikuni VM Performance Carburetor if that strikes your fancy)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/09/17 at 17:03:18

After the other three are out , twist the bowl, loosening the last one. AFTER you've tried everything else, because that's probably gonna wreck the gasket.
Getting the other three loose often relieves some tension on the last one.

If all else fails, a Dremel to slot the head for a screwdriver,
If that's a bust, take the head off , flatten two sides of what's poking up, and get the vise grips after it.
Don't forget about penetrating oil,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/09/17 at 18:17:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/09/17 at 17:03:18:
After the other three are out , twist the bowl, loosening the last one.

Don't try to twist the float bowl.

The bowl sits into a recess in the carb body.....and you can't twist the bowl as it has a brass tube for the fuel enrichment that extends down into a hole at the front of the float bowl.....and you have floats and the arms holding the pivot point all sticking down into the float bowl.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/09/17 at 18:22:30

Sorry,, forgot about that..works for other things..
Thanks Dave.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 02/09/17 at 18:49:41

Left hand drill bits.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 02/09/17 at 20:25:53

I vote to cut or file a straight slot that will fit the largest flat blade screw driver you have, then try to unscrew it.
If that does not work then cut the head off, remove the float bowl, and then work the stub you have left.  
Be sure to soak it good in penetrating oil first, several times throughout the day and maybe the next day.  Keep it wet with the oil.  Then try it again.
Don't forget to tap it with a hammer which MAY loosen it.
Actually, use the oil and hammer to start with.
If all that still does not work...send the carb to me and I will give you some credit toward another CV or VM.  Just a thought.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/09/17 at 20:47:11

I actually have two carbs for sale.  

That said, you'll get that bolt.  You'll have no problems with the carb as long as it's only the head that's stripped and not the actual threads.  Plenty of good suggestions here.  

I've always been able to get them with vice grips over the years.  (Lot's of jetting when I use to race motocross and plenty of stuck bolts.)  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:29:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.