Send Topic Print
Engine mods?? (Read 296 times)
Jayhawka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine mods??
02/08/17 at 15:25:26

now I'm happy with the exterior of the bike... it's onto the engine!
Given that I live in Australia in trying to steer clear of a big kit as shipping to and from the US will kill me...
what are my options?
How much power gain would I be looking at with a cam, piston, carby and price?
I already have a Jardine slash cut muffler and pod filter

Thanks heaps in advance guys!

And here's a pic of the bike for those who haven't seen it yet :D

IMG_2707_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Jayhawka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Engine mods??
Reply #1 - 02/08/17 at 15:26:28

Big bore kit **

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/08/17 at 19:51:02

Here in The Marketplace , Lancer has piston , cam , a mikuni carb kit but you will need a custom cable for those ape swingers , Verslagen for  cam chain adjuster , head plug. Everything can be found here , gaskets & seals I like to get from the dealer. Have cylinder bored locally once you have the piston. All the advice is free. How bout some more pics of your bike ! Welcome to the forum.

« Last Edit: 02/08/17 at 22:37:49 by verslagen1 »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Jayhawka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/09/17 at 03:07:20

Ruttly wrote on 02/08/17 at 19:51:02:
Here in The Marketplace , Lancer has piston , cam , a mikuni carb kit but you will need a custom cable for those ape swingers , Verslagen for  cam chain adjuster , head plug. Everything can be found here , gaskets & seals I like to get from the dealer. Have cylinder bored locally once you have the piston. All the advice is free. How bout some more pics of your bike ! Welcome to the forum.

Well that makes life nice and easy! Haha
Takes all guess work out of it!

One question I do have is.... is the power gain really that much different between the normal bore  and the big bore with a 97mm?
Because I've done some reading up on here and some people seem to think for the $$ to do the big bore it's not really justifiable?
I appreciate any advice I can get so don't hold back haha

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/09/17 at 05:14:28

The change to a Wiseco piston results in a compression increase from 8.5 to 10.5.....and it also requires that you use Premium fuel.  It is a labor intensive swap, as the engine has to come out of the frame as the cylinder head and cylinder won't clear the studs before bumping into the top frame tube.  Lancer did have some 94mm pistons that could be installed into the stock cylinder with just a honing - I don't know if he has any of those left as it was a "special" order and Wiseco only made them for Lancer using his approved design.  Those pistons provided the most bang for the buck power increase - the 95 and 96mm pistons are commonly available....the 97mm may not be available as Wiseco doesn't make batches of them regularly.....the last time they were available Lancer bought all they had so they would be available to the members of this forum.

The cheapest thing you can do is to remove your exhaust header and trim away some of the restricting ring in the exhaust port.  Stuff some paper towels that have been lightly oiled into the exhaust port (make sure the valves are closed), and then use a die grinder and burr to cut away some of the ring, then smooth the grinds with a sanding drum.  Don't cut away any of the flat angle in the top of the port, as that supports the valve springs - but you can round off the sharp edge a small amount.

If you are willing to take the head cap off and install a cam, those will provide a significant power increase with the stock piston (but work best when combined with a Wiseco piston).  While you have the head cover off you should install a Verslagen head plug so you don't leak oil all over your pretty bike.

A carb change would be the last thing to do unless your carb is damaged.....the stock carb does an OK job with a mildly modified engine.

Armen is now cutting the flywheels to make them lighter and it provides an increase in acceleration - unfortunately he started making them just as winter arrived......and we haven't had a chance to do much riding with them to know how well they work.  I installed one and I believe it cut about 1/2 second off my 0-60 time - it was 23 degrees and I didn't get a lot of testing done and my bulky clothes and gloves made it hard to get consistent runs in.  Ruttly, Lancer, Verslagen and I am all giving them a try......we will know more when warm weather allows us to go riding again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 02/09/17 at 05:23:32

I added the big bore and cam to my bike in december and this is definitely what I recommend. More HP and a power band that uses it better. I found both the big bore kit and the cam at clearance prices then but they may have changed by now. It's worth the investment if you really want to wake up this engine and put some excitement into your ride. I'm very happy with the results. I have a power band with plenty of torque all over the place and a ton of extra grunt. I used to avoid taking my bike on the highway before because I couldn't overtake other vehicles as quickly as I needed to in the type of traffic seen in my part of the world. Now it's no sweat at all. I go on the highways and overtake without worries at all now...
And the bike is still tractable enough for the stop and crawl downtown too.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 02/10/17 at 18:11:57

Since I did all the engine mods at one time, I can not say what single mod made the most obvious improvement.  I do feel that the head modifications allowed the other mods to reach their maximum potential. Per the dyno meter the stage 3 cam has a the torque peak  at 3500 RPM with 90% of peak torque between 2,500 and 5,500 RPM.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Jayhawka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/15/17 at 11:41:53

Really appreciate all the input guys!
I've decided to go down the big bore route...
I found a 97mm piston on eBay but says it's only good for bikes up until 1995?
I'm going to slowly accumulate the parts I need then in a about 2 months when winter hits I'll pull the bike off the road and get stuck into it

IMG_2862.PNG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/15/17 at 12:25:01

The Savage piston/cylinder is the same for all years (except the color of the paint on the cylinder).

It the piston will work on the 95 model....it will also work on yours!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 02/15/17 at 12:30:47

Those pistons look so nice you just want to put it on shelf to look at it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Jayhawka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/15/17 at 12:54:24

Cheers guys I just ordered it!!
So in a couple of weeks ill order the camshaft from here then I'll be well on my way to a super thumper  Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 02/15/17 at 14:30:58

Do you intend to do exhaust port work ?
Carb swap or going with the stock unit ?
If you need help, info or whatever just ask.

IP Logged
Jayhawka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/15/17 at 14:40:43

From what I can gather the exhaust port work is a must?
As for the carb side of things I'm still not to sure about that...?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 02/15/17 at 15:11:26

Get some new rockers for new cam , Lancer can help

« Last Edit: 02/15/17 at 19:00:41 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 02/15/17 at 19:08:35

I wonder if going to the 97mm piston to start, isn't a mistake  ,the increase in hp is mainly from the increase in compression (higher thermal efficiency)not displacement .A 94mm-96mm may allow you to overbore the cylinder to 97mm later .Ruttly has a good point, rocker arms newer than 2005 have hardened faces where they ride on the cam.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:30:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine mods??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.