Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified? (Read 676 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified?
Reply #60 - 04/10/17 at 18:48:42

For an air cooled engine, you'll want to use a thicker weight oil for the added protection.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 04/11/17 at 03:56:27

Kris01 wrote on 04/10/17 at 18:48:42:
For an air cooled engine, you'll want to use a thicker weight oil for the added protection.

Up to a point.....then it can get too thick.

Verslagen did some tests......and he found that engine temps went up with 20W-50 oil.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 04/11/17 at 04:13:43

10w30 is too thin, our piston clearances are too large and our required film pressures on our cam lobes are way too high to use this oil at the current wimpy car additive specifications.

20w50 is so thick it doesn't conduct heat way from the head as well as thinner oils do.   It is slow to pick the heat up, and slow to dump it out the casings in the sump area.   It runs the engine 15-20 degrees hotter than a 40 weight oil would do.

The 10w40 class of oils is the best "thermal conductive" fit for our bike's engine, and the Savage curiously was designed around 10w40 oils in all of its early testing.

Because we cannot get oil additive levels like what the bike was designed for any more due to API rules changing, we substitute the nearest available "economically affordable" oils, which are the Xw40 HDEO oils that are used in diesel engines and have much closer amounts of ZDDP to what we need.    We still have to bump, but not as much Redline is needed as if we had started from a car oil.

Do you remember 20w40 motor oil?    You do if you had an older Yamaha, as they were designed to use that somewhat stranger weight of oil.   They too use Rotella now as it is the closest fit for weight and required additives that exists currently.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #63 - 04/11/17 at 19:01:33

Not sure what kind of "bulk" oil the dealer used for my 600 mile service, but I did add a bit of Redline ZDDP booster when I got the bike back home. Just did the 2nd service this past weekend, using Motul 3000 10w40. I plan on doing a UOA eventually, but maybe not on this oil change. If the analysis shows good results, I will probably continue to use Motul oil. Especially since Zinc level is 1400 ppm right out of the bottle.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 04/12/17 at 19:56:07

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4359102/The_new_Rotella_
T5_and_T6_no_l#Post4359102

Here is an 8 page thread of pure angry confusion over what API and EPA has just done to America.  

New News .... The new Trump assigned head of EPA has just requested 24 hour security personnel be assigned to protect his body because he is getting ready to clean house over in the EPA.

We want the first bottle or the last bottle, and NONE of the other bottles .....

« Last Edit: 04/13/17 at 13:41:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 17:51:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.