Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified? (Read 676 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified?
Reply #30 - 03/30/17 at 03:31:00

pg wrote on 02/04/17 at 17:43:15:
I recently read the new ZDDP level dropped from 1250 to 1050.

Unless your source is reliable and qualified...I wouldn't trust it.

The Shell sources I have seen state the ZDDP has gone up a little.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 03/30/17 at 03:33:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/29/17 at 19:40:18:
I just wanna know how much RedLine to add to a gallon. Gotta protect the backhoe..too.

You likely don't have to add any to the backhoe.....the stock Rotella T is a good oil for use in your diesel - right out of the bottle.  And it most likely doesn't need any bumping to use in the Savage - but some of us do bump a bit.....just because we can!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #32 - 03/31/17 at 05:49:06

Just an FYI but not verified by me is what I heard lately, that the ZDDP additives are detrimental to wet clutches and not to be used.  Maybe this does not apply to redline products.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #33 - 03/31/17 at 06:01:19

Dave wrote on 03/30/17 at 03:31:00:
pg wrote on 02/04/17 at 17:43:15:
I recently read the new ZDDP level dropped from 1250 to 1050.

Unless your source is reliable and qualified...I wouldn't trust it.

The Shell sources I have seen state the ZDDP has gone up a little.

That is some good news, what level is the new formula?  Is it the same for synthetic as well?  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 03/31/17 at 06:11:41

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 03/31/17 at 05:49:06:
Just an FYI but not verified by me is what I heard lately, that the ZDDP additives are detrimental to wet clutches and not to be used.  Maybe this does not apply to redline products.

The ZDDP level is not an issue with the wet clutch.....the clutch issues are caused by Moly or other friction modifiers.  We have confirmed that Redline is an acceptable ZDDP booster - some of the other ZDDP booster are not.

Lucas ZDDP booster which is stocked locally is not recommended by Lucas for use in wet clutch motorcycle engines.  Ditto for Rislone ZDDP booster, Rislone won't recommend it for use in wet clutch motorcycle engines.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 03/31/17 at 12:24:07

Piedmontbuckeye, now you begin to understand the "Oil War Rule" that you always post the link to your source material so folks can see where the info came from and can read it and interpret it for themselves.

It saves Dave from having to debunk wrong statements from "somewhere" and it forces the casual poster to think about (and to grasp the 4 aspects of it) about the appropriate oil for a Savage.   Not that this thought process is bad for us to go do occasionally, we get a constant stream of new people in here and we need to RESTATE this general knowledge every once and a while anyway just so new folks can see it.

1)   The Savage has an antique SPLIT flat tappet valve train, the type of flat tappet system that runs two valves off of one lobe and that has the very highest tappet contact pressure of those old type of valve actuation systems.   This type of valve system needs ZDDP in the oil, and it needs appreciable amounts of it.   1,200 to 1,350 PPM is the best range, based on past experience.   We bump our oils to get up to this level as it doesn't come from the jug with enough ZDDP any more (not even Rotella).

2)   The Savage has a clutch system that has arguably too few steels and fibers for a modified engine's peak torque / HP levels.   This situation shows worst on a cold engine, first accelerations past 2nd and third gears where we tend to use full throttle.  We tend to mod our bikes for higher engine torque and HP output, so our clutch system becomes in turn more sensitive to energy star modifiers (friction reducers) and mechanical adjustment issues.

3)    Oil in a Savage breaks down and tends to leave the engine faster as it gets older.   I  used to use Rotella T6 to combat this breakdown issue, but then Rotella began to put more and more Moly Oil into their full synthetic formulations,  the amount went from 0 to 40ppm then up to 70ppm which aggravated slippage in my engine and I found that dino Rotella didn't have this moly issue (still at 0 PPM for Moly additive).  

Changing back to Dino Rotella stopped the peak torque slippage issue immediately after the first oil change back to Rotella dino 15w40.    HOWEVER,  when the dino oil gets old and tired, slip issues tend to come back and become noticeable again.

So, oil is an important part of the Savage and we treat it as such.    Does everyone have slippage ???   Heck no they do not.   (blessed, they are)   However, slippage is understood and the fixes are understood as well.   Old heavily modded bikes are worse compared to low mileage stock output scoots ....

The last item isn't oil, it is MECHANICAL in nature.

4)    Clutch push rods and clutch engagement.   Versy states that ideal clutch push rod protrusion is circa 12-13mm of protrusion from the clutch pack.   This translates to the correct placement of the clutch actuation lever to the marks on the gear case.  

Suzuki supplies 3 different lengths of push rods so users can tune this engagement zone because you will need all 3 push rod lengths as the clutch pack itself wears and gets "shorter" over time.   The push rods themselves will also wear in use due to rotational rubbing, but the rods wear in a direction that is functionally assbackwards from the clutch fiber plate wear effects, which makes it difficult for the casual reader to grasp what is going on.  Rod wear effects tend to be larger and faster occurring than the fiber plate wear effects.

Does our clutch "wear out" ???   Not really, as using a different clutch push rod length puts it back into the sweet zone for proper function.   We generally check this when checking cam chain wear / hole placement on our modded cam chain tensioners.

Can our clutch plates get accidentally contaminated with Energy Star crap ???    Oh yes, just use the wrong oil for a while.   Fibers and steels can be cleaned, see the Tech Sections for the how to information.

Folks with limited understanding tend to post as if all HDEO oils are OK for the Savage --- this is not completely true as moly additives are now in MANY HDEO oils now and at levels that are suspiciously high for a slip free Savage clutch.

=======================================

Dave, next time you have a clutch apart look at the basket and see if there is enough meat at the bottom for a lathe cut that will create some room for another steel and another fiber plate.   This meat could come from the basket bottom or from the top pusher plate, or from both or by mebbe leaving out a  "wasted"  flat or beveled steel part that are in the stock stack up.

(Dave has a big lathe and he has broken down engines laying about and the knowledge skills for this sort of quick look at it type stuff.   Plus, a modified clutch basket and/or top plate could be a Market Place item that some folks might want).  

Ditto for Versy or Lancer,  both have parts and baskets lying around their shops.

« Last Edit: 04/04/17 at 07:01:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 03/31/17 at 14:03:29

Poppa Bear, please post the VOA analysis link for the EXACT Schaeffer oil you are recommending.  

I read what links you posted and it seems to be written in generalized ad-speak which says it honors the current standards, not what is actually in it or how it actually tested out.    Remember, "the current standards" are what CAUSED our issues, so meeting them really isn't helpful in supplying our various Savage engine needs.

TYPICAL PROPERTIES
SAE Grade 15W-40
Specific Gravity @ 60ºF/15ºC 0.872 – 0.88
Viscosity @ 40C cSt (ASTM D-445) 102 – 108
Viscosity @ 100C cSt (ASTM D-445) 14.00-16.00
CCS Viscosity @ -20C cP (ASTM D-5293) 5,700
High Temperature High Shear Viscosity 302F/150C cP 4.3
High Temperature High Shear Viscosity 302F/150C cP after 90 cycles
shear (ASTM D-7109) 4.0
Mini-rotary Viscosity-TP.1 @ -25C cP (ASTM D-4684) 20,500
Mini-Rotary Viscosity @ -20°C, cP -180hr sooted oil sample (Mack T-
11A ASTM D-6896 15,236
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 154
Flash Point F/C (ASTM D-92) 440/221
Fire Point F/C (ASTM D-92) 490/254
Pour Point F/C (ASTM D-97/D-5950) -38/<-39
Sulfated Ash Content % Wt. (ASTM D-874) 0.951
Total Base Number (ASTM D-2896) 10
NOACK Volatility (ASTM D-5800)
% Evaporation Loss @ 250C 9.5%
Shear Stability % Viscosity Loss – 90 Passes (ASTM D-7109) 9.96%
Foam Test (ASTM D-892 Option A)
Sequence I 0/0
Sequence II 0/0
Sequence III 0/0
High Temperature Foam Test (ASTM D6082 Option A) 0/0
Sequence IIIG
% Viscosity Increase @ 40°C EOT 75%

This seems to be just a listing of some of the tests required, not the results of any specific oil samples actually being tested.    What the heck does Typical Properties mean at the top of this listing, anyway?    ZDDP and moly amounts are not listed either, ever.

Generally we find the real data comes from Virgin Oil Analysis done by Blackstone Labs or other certified testing labs as Blackstone tells you exactly what what was tested, what is in it and gives you viscosity range results for the specific oil type in question.

People will post this in BITOG generally speaking.

Also, a good rep making CAR oils really isn't relevant here, folks really struggle to get this concept when talking about good Savage oils -- NO CAR OIL meets our needs, none of them .....  oil weights are generally different now too.

....  (except maybe Redline and Royal Purple racing car oils which are really sorta pricey sorta things).

« Last Edit: 04/03/17 at 13:46:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #37 - 04/04/17 at 04:38:14

Here is some good info on mobil 1 products.  It would be beneficial if more groups provided information like this.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-gu
ide.pdf

Best regards,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 04/04/17 at 06:45:47

Mobil 1 was a good oil until they began "local market formulation and bottling" which meant the oil was bottled by regional bottlers according to some Mobil spec sheets which differed by nation, and by geography (and politics).    This led to the "use the red cap, don't use the white cap" type controversies.

Unfortunately, this became common for most oils as a consistent product became something you had to search for.   There were a few oils that were consistent over a large area of the world, with Rotella being one of them.

We quickly discovered you couldn't know what was in a Mobil 1 bottle, really, as the VOA data was so different over the course of locations and just a few months of production time.   When it settled out it was obvious that Mobil 1 was just SN car oil, expensive, but just a SN car oil.   Unless you bought V-Twin or Racing or Diesel ......    

I see this problem with Mobil 1 still remains, huh ??      Simply just regionally spec'd SN car oil .... not suitable at all for a Savage.   The Hurley VTwin and Diesel stuff is better, but at $8 a quart again for the V-Twin.

To use this link, copy it to your browser address bar directly then retype the part of "guide.pdf" that is missing (link is too long for a "click to paste").

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-gu
ide.pdf

« Last Edit: 04/04/17 at 08:17:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 04/04/17 at 07:28:16

Yep, oil changes year by year, region by region, especially EPA spec change by spec change (and sometimes those EPA changes come out more than once a year)

http://pqiamerica.com/HDEO_Sample_Summary_Dec_2016.html

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE on the test and run down and check the sheer amount of CHANGES done to Rotella T triple protection in just the last few years that each got a requested retest (yes, people do watch Rotella like a hawk and that is a good thing).   Also note that PQIA tests East Coast vs Midwest also as they can see differences in formulations between the two that are mostly due to bottling companies and storage methods.

Petroleum Quality Institute of America came into being because oils were getting completely out of control.   Not to pick on Lucas, but Lucas would sell some 10w40 car oil as 15w40 diesel oil and they got caught at doing it .....  bottling error, they said at the time.

When Warren Oil and its bottling distributor brothers bottle everybody's oil for them regionally to cut down on shipping costs per case, well then them ugly accidental boo-boo style mistakes can happen .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #40 - 04/04/17 at 13:17:12

Interesting Oldfeller, you brought up a couple angles which I never considered.

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 04/04/17 at 18:53:35

When Warren Oil and its bottling distributor brothers bottle everybody's oil for them regionally to cut down on shipping costs per case, well then them ugly accidental boo-boo style mistakes can happen .....

Hmmm, boy,, wouldn't it just suck to accidentally dump some high dollar, next to zer viscosity crap in there with all the worlds bet friction modifiers in it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 04/08/17 at 19:55:50

Ford Motor Company has finally stated THEY WILL NOT APPROVE CK-4 rated oils for use in their new diesel engines unless it also carries (and contains the add packages) full, current CJ-4 ratings from the old CJ-4 requirements.

This has caused oil makers to HAVE TO EXCLUDE GASOLINE ENGINES from bottle approvals on the few new CK-4 oils that are CJ-4 rated as well.

Rotella T-6 meets both gas and diesel specs, for both CJ-4 and CK-4 and as such it really hasn't changed much.   It really is that good.  

Dino Rotella T-4 is a mystery still, one that hasn't been answered totally yet.

BEWARE POSTERS SAYING "Shell told me ...." as Shell's phone people are likely talking only T-6 answers at the moment as Ford has approved T-6 and all is well with that product.  

Dino Rotella comes in 15w40 and 10w30 grades now, both are unknowns internally and FORD WILL NOT APPROVE the 10w30 version ever, with the 15w40 still being "unknown" at this time.

Expect Trump to get involved soon as "over-regulating" motor oil to the point Ford won't use it is exactly what gross over-regulation means to Trump.

We also get the drift that these standards really aren't finalized yet and that Ford doesn't accept them.

« Last Edit: 04/09/17 at 06:40:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 04/08/17 at 21:27:23

Ford may be concerned about the catalytic converter more than anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 04/09/17 at 06:37:01

No, Justin, this is the result of full motor life test showing excessive wear on the BIG Ford diesel engines (not much cat converter action involved here).

CK-4 rated 10w30 diesel has wimped down on the good additives too far and FORD has called them on it.

What happens now is anybody's guess.

We are running blind, but I would certainly follow the bump table for Dino or Synthetic Rotella products to make sure you get at least close to a good mix.  

Once again, we cannot adjust the bump table until we have data to do it with.

We do know TO STAY AWAY FROM CK-4 RATED 10w30 ROTELLA T-4 DINO OIL firstly because it is simply the wrong weight for our bike and second Ford testing showed CK-4 10w30 to be sub-optimal in engine testing.  

Such failed oils should lose their HDEO rating as they are no longer generic "do anything oils" any more.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 17:36:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.