Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified? (Read 676 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified?
02/03/17 at 05:52:53

Has anyone gotten verification on the ZDDP level of the three new Rotella formulations, T4, T5, and T6.

Thanks,

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified?
Reply #1 - 02/03/17 at 06:47:24

Since I first posted my question above, I actually called Shell and talked to an engineer.  Here were her suggestions:

T4, T5 and T6 all have the same levels of ZDDP as the earlier Rotella, however, she also added the comments about their wet clutch compatibilities.

She said that the T4 full petroleum based multi-grade oil is perfectly OK.  Also, the T6, full synthetic is OK, but the T5, semi synthetic is NOT OK for the wet clutches!  It does not meet the JASMO (sp?) specs, but the T4 and the T6 do.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/03/17 at 08:49:41

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 02/03/17 at 06:47:24:
Since I first posted my question above, I actually called Shell and talked to an engineer.  Here were her suggestions:

T4, T5 and T6 all have the same levels of ZDDP as the earlier Rotella, however, she also added the comments about their wet clutch compatibilities.

She said that the T4 full petroleum based multi-grade oil is perfectly OK.  Also, the T6, full synthetic is OK, but the T5, semi synthetic is NOT OK for the wet clutches!  It does not meet the JASMO (sp?) specs, but the T4 and the T6 do.

Well okie dokie, thank you sir. 😉

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/03/17 at 11:34:29

The world is still flooded with oil that was produced last year under the "interim period specs" and no one has done any VOA analysis on T-4 Rotella for this reason.    There are no bottles out there with this year's date codes on them yet, although this is expected to change shortly.

Rotella product engineers responding to different board members on various questions over the last few months have said that Rotella is basically the same as before, with changes to make it more "heat resistant".

T6 synthetic as always been extremely heat proof, so all info points towards T6 as being the same stuff as in years previous.

T4 however is a different oil in a new package containing a different additive formulation set however.   AS SUCH the Petroleum Institute of America and BITOG will eventually perform VOAs on the new T4 formulation and post the information.  

Shell isn't talking any specifics yet at all on any of their "repackaged" oils.

BITOG members won't bite on doing any VOAs until there are production gallon jugs marked as being done AFTER the changeover interim period is completely over.

There is now a clear split in car diesel oils and over the road 18 wheeler diesel oils and in the oils called out for earth moving equipment.   Ford and Cummings and the other diesel engine makers are still testing these new oils and have not certified all of them yet.   Until the tests are all done (and any adjustments made) Rotella does not really have a finalized product spec.

When we buy we must watch the weight of the oils we buy AND the jug markings to keep from getting the wrong stuff.   Rotella brand has a 30 weight oil out for diesel cars now, and that is NOT what we want to be buying for our bikes.   We want the stuff made for TRUCKS.  

This is 15w-40 for Rotella dino oil and 5w-40 for the Rotella synthetic oil.

The Bumper Tables in the Tech Section will get modified as needed just as soon as good reliable information is available.

Lastly, politics -- the new Congress and President are NOT fans of the EPA, nor EPA forced Green Mandate changes that are being made to American Industry.  

When the EPA Green Mandate is crushed, look to see oil makers tend to reformulate back to older, proven "known to be better formulations" as this will be instantly driven by competitive forces.  

This will be countered by the demands of sensor makers, with sensors going into everything now-a-days -- sensors that cannot live with the higher levels of ZDDP.   SAE specs will responsibly balance these competing needs without all the Green Mandate nonsense being shoved into it.

« Last Edit: 02/03/17 at 19:15:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 02/03/17 at 14:39:18

just bought a bottle of Redline ZDDP. I'll know what's in my T4! Cool

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 02/03/17 at 14:51:37

zipidachimp wrote on 02/03/17 at 14:39:18:
just bought a bottle of Redline ZDDP. I'll know what's in my T4! Cool

How do you calculate how much additive to use if you don't know what is in the base oil?  Too much ZDDP can be as detrimental as too little.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 02/03/17 at 17:35:00

Best guess is good enough. The zinc levels haven't changed too much. If you're off by 100 ppm your bike won't care. I use 1 tsp per gallon of dino Rotella.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 02/03/17 at 18:31:40

Best guess is follow the existing bump table until more facts are known.

I find it odd that the latest EPA mandated oil reformulation is being held as "top secret", don't you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/03/17 at 19:31:15

Bob Olree is Bob the Oil Guy

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049812

I'm in no position to argue,,I'm not even sure I get it..
And I don't see how it really applies to the question at hand.

Could We team up and send a sample to be tested?

http://m.blackstone-labs.com
IDK if they can check ZDDP  or ZDP, whatever,, but they have a phone number..
It's $28.00.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 02/03/17 at 19:46:49

Just hold your breath for a bit, the murk will clear out when new production labeled as produced this year hits the shelves.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/03/17 at 20:42:23

I've sought clarification of many various forms of murk all my life. The idea that one murk may soon be cleared up is almost enough to excite me to the point of peeing blue.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 02/04/17 at 06:47:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/03/17 at 19:31:15:
Bob Olree is Bob the Oil Guy

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049812

Could We team up and send a sample to be tested?

http://m.blackstone-labs.com
IDK if they can check ZDDP  or ZDP, whatever,, but they have a phone number..  It's $28.00.

If you will do it, I will donate some $$ to help the cause.  Hopefully I am known on here enough now to be trusted to keep my word!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 02/04/17 at 07:38:10

Not sure if this is pertinent to our requirement RE: wet clutch performance, and how the EPA has caused headaches by requiring emissions to a point of motor damage, etc...
But I run Suzuki's on my boats.
When you get to the bigger 4 strokes, there has been damage caused to these big units caused by available oils and fuels, to meet EPA standards.

I am in way too deep here, but I think class actions lawsuits are pending against Suzuki for not honoring warranties because of these EPA mandates.

Yes, it seems a tangled mess, I hope some real science can help us deplorables to a normal pursuit of happiness, soon  Grin  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/04/17 at 07:53:59

I have come to the conclusion that the EPA is not concerned about the damage caused to your "non-compliant" outboard, mower, chainsaw or farm tractor.  The EPA would prefer that you stop using these old pieces of equipment, and go buy the new stuff that is EPA compliant.  Struggling farmers and people struggling to keep their old equipment are expected to find some way to stop using the old 8N Ford that their granddad bought....and buy a new piece of equipment.

It is my belief that the folks writing these "laws" are not in touch with the reality of what it takes to run a farm or eek out an existence on the fringe of bankruptcy and starvation.  They want to force you to use their low ZDDP oils and E15 fuel in your equipment.....even if it means the equipment will be damaged. (Sorry for the Tall Table rant here in the Cafe').

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 02/04/17 at 08:14:24

Dave wrote on 02/04/17 at 07:53:59:
I have come to the conclusion that the EPA is not concerned about the damage caused to your "non-compliant" outboard, mower, chainsaw or farm tractor.  The EPA would prefer that you stop using these old pieces of equipment, and go buy the new stuff that is EPA compliant.  Struggling farmers and people struggling to keep their old equipment are expected to find some way to stop using the old 8N Ford that their granddad bought....and buy a new piece of equipment.

It is my belief that the folks writing these "laws" are not in touch with the reality of what it takes to run a farm or eek out an existence on the fringe of bankruptcy and starvation.  They want to force you to use their low ZDDP oils and E15 fuel in your equipment.....even if it means the equipment will be damaged. (Sorry for the Tall Table rant here in the Cafe').

The ISIS of the enviroment, eh?  Grin

PS: we better be careful, someone might complain, politically speaking....  Wink

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 17:35:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › The new Rotella's - Zddp been verified?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.