Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Phase 2 Mod Plan for Thumpy (Read 335 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Phase 2 Mod Plan for Thumpy
02/02/17 at 11:24:40

To recap, phase 1 consisted of the following mod work to my LS650

Replaced and relocated rear turn signal and brake light.
Added Dyna muff
added one size up on main jet
replaced stock shocks with progressive 412
Added Stage 2 cam
Added 666cc big bore kit
Replaced stock headlight with brighter flashy looking aftermarket unit.

Assessment after 1 month riding the bike with these improvements. I'm happy with the extra power and the spread of the powerband the engine gives now. The ride has improved hugely both in overall handling and dealing with rough or wet surfaces. I no longer have to ride around with my high-beam on after dark. The low beam is plenty bright now. conversely my new high beam is somewhat weaker and more limited in width compared to the original. This has much to do with the box like shape of the new headlight and proves to be of little bother as I rarely need the high beam anyways.

So I'm on to planning the next phase of upgrades for Thumpy. With so many complaints rectified I find fewer things are required to make the bike more to my liking. One exception is brakes - which was an original complaint. I need to address this.
So the 1st item on this list is the Ryca big brake kit.
Folks here have mentioned long-term reliability improvements concerning the cam chain. This was gone over thoroughly and found to be in spec with Suzuki's recommendations. However, with all of the money invested so far (roughly $900) I can't help but think some more peace of mind won't hurt at all.
So a versy is going on this list.

The stiffer shocks make the low speed riding a bit rougher so I am considering some improvement with the seat. Suggestions welcomed here. I notice the cost of new seats OEM or aftermarket is alot to swallow so homemade remedies would be great.

Out of idle speculation and because I'm not one to leave things well enough alone, what gains can I expect from exhaust port massaging, a 2" header and a high flow air filter?
I've currently got the stock header, carb, airbox and filter.
Or should I just leave the engine alone now that I'm happier with it?

Any other ideas for making the bike an all around better bike to ride?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Phase 2 Mod Plan for Thumpy
Reply #1 - 02/02/17 at 14:43:46

The front suspension mod is a great companion to the front break upgrade.  The cost is about $300 if I remember right; $110 for the Race Tech Gold Emulators and another $125 for a new set of Race Tech linear rate springs, plus a few odds and ends.
"Gary in NJ" is the member who came up with the design and posted detailed instructions of what is needed and how to proceed.

Suspension and braking are life saving systems! 😉

A Performance Carburetor Kit will add more fun ! 😎

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 02/02/17 at 15:12:23

2" header sounds a bit large,1 1/2" is what's generally used,to large a pipe will allow the exhaust gas and revision waves to slow down and hurt your power at higher rpm(the gases cool to quickly) ......I'd look at Oldfellow's air filter in the Tech Section if you still have your stock air box as a cheap,and easy course to a very good Hi-pro filter.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/02/17 at 15:36:23

I agree about the header, 2" is just too big.
I run a 1.75" OD, which has a 1.65" ID, and that is with a fully modified engine.  I would strongly suggest a 1 5/8" OD/ 1.5" ID header for a stock to mildly modified engine.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 02/02/17 at 19:01:32

Hey batman thanks for the tip with Oldfellows filter. It's easy and inexpensive.

Lancer, with the carb change I'm worried about losing the street ability of the bike. For example, when I raced hare scrambles on trikes I got a race carb for my ATC200X and regretted it every time I hit the woods because it was too jumpy + grabby for that kind of riding. It would have been great on a dirt track but I never rode those. It was an expensive lesson for me at the time working a summer job to pay for it too. My worry is a racing carb is going to make my bike a pain to negotiate city traffic with. I realize my stock carb is a bit sluggish but this helps with city drivability.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Performance carbs just improve throttle response and not overall horsepower?
I ask because that was what i noticed back with the 200x. It snapped and grabbed like mad but really didn't seem to have any more power...

Ok so 2" bad, 1.5" good. So why does Mac Performance sell this item?
http://shop.macperformance.com/Suzuki-Savage-Boulevard-650-1986-2016-2-Headpi...
If 2" is too big shouldn't they know that?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 02/03/17 at 04:26:16

Here's why, a large pipe has more surface area ,and so the exhaust flow and the sonic waves slow down . the waves reverse at a point 1/2 the dia. of the pipe and move back up it as a negative wave,if they arrive at the exhaust valve before it closes they help pull the remaining exhaust gases from the cylinder as well as pulling a fresh charge of fuel and air in ,due to valve overlap.This increases VE (volumetric efficiency)=HP.With a header that is to large the wave tends to arrive at the exhaust valve to find it closed,because the gases cooling slow the flow of the wave in both directions ,so the 1.5 " header would be ideal for you ,but the stock header ,would still make the bike run better than one oversized,the wave might arrive a bit early,but it's still better than to late! Just because a 2" header is offered doesn't mean that's it's right for your setup.It is possible that the mac header is shorter for it being oversize ,and/ or their muffler designed to compensate......PS I just looked at the Mac site and the 2" header pipe is double walled,but they don't give info on the inside dia. (I'm betting on 1.5")

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/03/17 at 05:17:59

I ran the stock carb for a year with my modified engine, and then installed one of Lancers VM36 carb kits.  The engine did not become jumpy or jerky - but the throttle response was quicker and a bit different.  When I first put it on I was trying to hold 60mph exactly so I could calibrate the Vapor Trail Tech speedometer while using the GPS to hold a steady 60 mph.  It was very hard to hold the speed at exactly 60, and the speed would drop to 59 or jump up to 61......but I never tried that with the stock carb and it might also be difficult to hold the speed at exactly 60 on the GPS....it could be that the GPS was jumpy and the bike speed wasn't?

The VM36 doesn't turn the bike into a race bike - but it does require that you become a bit better rider to use it smoothly.  The stock carb has a vacuum operated slide, and if you suddenly "wack open" the throttle the vacuum in the venturi will drop suddenly, and the CV carb drops the slide and allows the vacuum to build and the engine will accelerate smoothly....and this is what causes the small delay in the movement of your wrist vs. the response from the engine.  With the VM carb you should "roll open" the throttle at a bit slower rate and allow the vacuum to remain consistent as you accelerate......it may only take a second to go from idle to full throttle, and after riding it for a while it will become instinct.  The other place that you need to learn to use your wrist is when you are decelerating or accelerating and shifting - you don't want to snap the throttle all the way closed.....or you will get a backfire (or a lot of them).  Just roll the throttle toward the closed position part way, and there will be little or no backfire.  When you allow the throttle to close completely the only fuel to the engine is coming from the idle circuit, and the mixture goes very lean....and the exhaust gets noisy.  You can easily control this by just opening the throttle up a tiny bit.......that is what the TEV valve on the stock CV carb is supposed to do - you just have to do it manually by rolling on a tiny bit of throttle.  If you want noisy while you are decelerating you just close the throttle....if you want to be more peaceful you just open up a bit of throttle until the noise goes away......after a bit of riding with your new VM carb this all becomes instinct and is part of the fun of riding this big, primitive single.

I like my VM carb, and it is a worthwhile upgrade - but I made so many changes at the same time I really can't say for sure that it makes the bike quicker or give a higher top speed....but it does make the engine more responsive and it gives you more control over the way the engine is running.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 02/03/17 at 12:29:41

@batman - thanks for the explanation. That clears things up for me. It's a wonder that suppliers of performance parts don't put more thorough specs for their products online. seems to me that doing so might reduce returned orders.

@Dave When you installed the VM36 did you find that your powerband had taken yet another curve than with the stock carb?
If so can you please describe the difference?

One concern of mine is to not make the powerband too toppy. This was another issue I had with my old 200X after I added all the mods to it. suddenly all of my two stroke riding friends liked it but I found it less tractible for trails and such.

I'm fairly happy with Thumpy's powerband now. It's a good even spread with a ton of torque up top and middle that almost pulls my arms out of their sockets when I lay on it. It isn't perfect everywhere I ride but it's almost optimal for city and suburban riding as well as backroads.

the head porting would noticably change the powerband too from what I've read. Having never done this to an engine before I'm curious what the effect of it is.
Anybody care to relate the changes they discovered after cleaning up the exhaust port on their bike?

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 02/03/17 at 12:44:47

LANCER wrote on 02/02/17 at 14:43:46:
The front suspension mod is a great companion to the front break upgrade.  The cost is about $300 if I remember right; $110 for the Race Tech Gold Emulators and another $125 for a new set of Race Tech linear rate springs, plus a few odds and ends.
"Gary in NJ" is the member who came up with the design and posted detailed instructions of what is needed and how to proceed.

Suspension and braking are life saving systems! 😉

A Performance Carburetor Kit will add more fun ! 😎

Lancer I looked at Gary in NJ's thread about this and it looks as though he's focused on a Ryca conversion type deal. Those have lowered front ends don't they?
Are his mods even applicable to a normal LS650?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 02/03/17 at 17:57:41

Gary's mods are for full travel forks.  He just raised the tubes in the (not stock) triple clamps.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 02/04/17 at 16:03:28

[quote author=495150554D51405450525C390 link=1486063480/0#8 date=1486154687]LANCER wrote on 02/02/17 at 14:43:46:
Lancer I looked at Gary in NJ's thread about this and it looks as though he's focused on a Ryca conversion type deal. Those have lowered front ends don't they?
Are his mods even applicable to a normal LS650?

As it says in the thread, the mod is for all LS650's. Just disregard the instructions for modifying/making a new upper t-clamp. Given the rake of a stock LS, I would still drill the low speed compression holes in the GVE as described in the thread.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 02/08/17 at 07:55:26

Thanks Gary in NJ. There's alot of useful detail in your thread, I will read it more closely.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 02/09/17 at 05:11:02

One thing that has been nagging me is now confirmed to not be my imagination. I paid close attention to it riding to work and back yesterday.
When cruising along in 3rd and then rolling the throttle all the way open the engine revs up as expected but for a full one, one thousand there is no increase in speed. In the following second the bike starts to accelerate but not at a rate that corresponds to revs - lagging. By the 3rd second it begins to pull like a 2 stroke dirt bike and I have to hang on tight.
Is this from clutch slippage?

If so what are my options here?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/09/17 at 05:32:25

That sure sounds like the clutch is slipping.  What kind of oil are you using?  Do you let the clutch out fully before applying throttle?

When I first got my bike I noticed a similar slippage.....I have no idea what oil the previous owner used.  I took the clutch apart and cleaned the plates in solvent, then put a piece of 360 grit sandpaper on a glass plate, and scuffed the fiber plates to remove the glaze, then cleaned them in solvent and let them dry.  For the metal places I cleaned them and used a Scotchbrite pad to lightly scuff the surface, and then washed them and let them dry.  I then lightly oiled everything and put it back together.  Before you put the cover back on check how far the clutch rod extends out of the clutch basket....Verslagen can tell you how far the rod should extend for best clutch operations (I believe it is 12mm but I am not sure).  After I did this and started using Rotella T oil I never had any more slippage.

« Last Edit: 02/09/17 at 09:29:11 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/09/17 at 07:08:16

Between 12 and 12.5mm works for me.

WWW   IP Logged