Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What else causes surging? (Read 510 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: What else causes surging?
Reply #15 - 02/02/17 at 14:11:15

Yeah, that white tube is odd.  One would think that it the white tube is inside the slide that it is extra weight trying to raise up, and I would also say that it should be up top.  

Now since it is all under spring pressure you might think that where it is will have no effect on the slide being able to raise up, but it doesn't take much of a vacuum to raise the slide and IMHO every little once counts.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #16 - 02/02/17 at 14:11:32

That's what I was thinking. Also, when placed at the bottom it wobbles on the heads of the screws. It seats nicely into the underside of the cap.

Interesting that you've never seen one. Maybe it is an Aus thing. If all else fails, I'll try leaving it out and see if it changes anything.

I've never seen one in any videos of carb cleaning/rebuilding etc.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #17 - 02/02/17 at 14:14:55

Hi Stew,

I was just replying to Dave when I saw your reply. I thought the same thing. It just looks like weight to me.

I don't know enough about how the vac carb works to make an educated guess, but intuitively, it seems to me that if it's adding a little bit of weight then that might affect the slide at low throttle, if that requires a very small lift in the slide - I'm just guessing though.

stewmills wrote on 02/02/17 at 14:11:15:
Yeah, that white tube is odd.  One would think that it the white tube is inside the slide that it is extra weight trying to raise up, and I would also say that it should be up top.  

Now since it is all under spring pressure you might think that where it is will have no effect on the slide being able to raise up, but it doesn't take much of a vacuum to raise the slide and IMHO every little once counts.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #18 - 02/02/17 at 14:16:13

I think I'm gonna do that first - spray the carb, leave out the plastic tube and see what I get.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #19 - 02/02/17 at 14:27:20

I bet you will be doing this by tomorrow  ; Cool

hqdefault.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #20 - 02/02/17 at 14:49:40

Haha ... never!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 02/02/17 at 16:42:38

I'll 2nd that. I've never seen that tube either.

Would the bike surge with a bad petcock? Maybe the float can't keep up or the petcock is slightly plugged? Just throwing out ideas.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #22 - 02/02/17 at 16:52:12

I thought the same and, on inspection, the stock petcock was leaking fuel into the vac line. I swapped it out for a Raptor the other day. Bike still surges, but at least I know the Petcock is stable.

Kris01 wrote on 02/02/17 at 16:42:38:
I'll 2nd that. I've never seen that tube either.

Would the bike surge with a bad petcock? Maybe the float can't keep up or the petcock is slightly plugged? Just throwing out ideas.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 02/02/17 at 17:57:35

stewmills wrote on 02/02/17 at 14:27:20:
I bet you will be doing this by tomorrow  ; Cool

I bet I won't be doing that tomorrow.....or any other day! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 02/02/17 at 18:09:42

I'm wondering if this isn't an attempt to limit the slide from opening fully,(a governor ?) I'd reassemble the carb with and without the tube an check the travel on the slide if it is shorter with the tube I'd toss it! believe us we've never seen anything inside the spring in our carbs,this is a first!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #25 - 02/02/17 at 18:28:23

If it works without the tube in the northern hemisphere then I'd assume it would work the same way south of the equator.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #26 - 02/03/17 at 05:42:11

ive seen those tubes before on scooters which have similar carbs.  They are used as a way to limit how much the slide can move and sort of a hp/throttle/speed limiter.  first thing we did was remove them.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 02/03/17 at 05:55:31

twhitus wrote on 02/03/17 at 05:42:11:
ive seen those tubes before on scooters which have similar carbs.  They are used as a way to limit how much the slide can move and sort of a hp/throttle/speed limiter.  first thing we did was remove them.

Some countries have controls on size/HP for certain tax classes....I wonder if this tube restricts how far the slide can open in order to limit  the HP or top speed of the bike?

Put the spacer in the carb, then use your finger to open the slide and see how far it will rise in the venturi.  If it won't go all the way up.....get rid of it!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #28 - 02/03/17 at 08:46:50

I'll 3rd, or 4th that.  I'd say scrap the tube (it tests go well) as it does sound like just a HP limiter that would restrict the slide.  Maybe you can use it to make a kaleidoscope for your kids or something Grin?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 02/03/17 at 12:26:43

Are you Hunting for a throttle setting that you can feel a surge in or, in the Normal course of riding, you're bothered by a noticeable surging?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What else causes surging?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.