Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
What else causes surging? (Read 510 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
What else causes surging?
02/01/17 at 23:33:42

Hi guys,

I've hit a bit of a dead-end with troubleshooting a surging issue with my S40. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light or point me in the right direction. I'm working through the basic mods on the site but just can't nail this surging thing. The bike is a couple of years old and has done 4800 km (2990 miles)

I installed a Dyna muffler and experimented with the jets until I settled on 52.5/152.5 and spacer at 50% (2 brass washers). I had a spell of about a week where it ran really well - smooth and strong all the way through the throttle, and impressive top speed. It was a joy to ride.

Then one day I ran the fuel too low and had to switch to reserve (on the stock petcock). I had a raptor on order at the time because my vac line was leaking fuel. When I filled her up and took off, the surging started again. I have since installed the raptor. The bike no longer smells like fuel when stationary but the surging continues at low speeds in low gears.

In desperation, I upped the pilot jet to 55 and reduced the spacer to 25% in an attempt to resolve the problem. The surging continued and the performance dropped at the wide end of the throttle, and I couldn't hit the same top speed. It also felt like it was running rich, especially at open throttle. So I think I've hit the limit of the jets and will return to 52.5/152.5 and 50% spacer.

A couple of things that might be relevant:

1: I am running the stock air filter

2: Whenever I take the bottom of the carb off there is a tiny amount of black "dust" settled in the lowest point of the float bowl.

3: The washers I used for the spacers where originally too big on the outside diameter. I filed them down to fit. They now actually have a smaller OD than the original spacer.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What else causes surging?
Reply #1 - 02/02/17 at 04:02:20

You could have an air leak somewhere.  At the bottom of your page it shows the bike is a 2014, and that is a bit too new for the intake boot to be cracked and brittle - but an air leak in that area can cause the mixture to go lean and cause surging. Is the rubber plug you put on the vacuum cap in good shape?

Have you checked your float level?

Black goo could be an indication your fuel line is decomposing.....and that can plug a pilot jet up really quickly.  Or the place you buy gasoline is selling you contaminated fuel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/02/17 at 04:17:44

Lean mixture or a vaccuum leak

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 02/02/17 at 04:19:32

The tiny little o-ring is still on the needle?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/02/17 at 04:58:08

Steve H wrote on 02/02/17 at 04:19:32:
The tiny little o-ring is still on the needle?

Idle fuel mixture screw............

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 02/02/17 at 05:10:41

If you suspect a vac leak, with the engine running you can spray the carb and carb boot a listen for a change in rpm. if the rpm increases you have found the source of the leak.

You mention some black crud at the bottom of the fuel bowl. You may have a clogged jet or passage in the carb. Also, if you are running a fuel filter, have a look at it to ensure that it hasn't become a restriction. When you swap out the fuel valve for the Rapter unit, pour the fuel into a clear container our pour it through a coffee filter to see if there is something floating in your tank that could be causing a restriction.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 02/02/17 at 06:36:29

Also, if you fiddled with the plunger that holds the needle (and you had to in order to adjust the needle) you need to make sure that:

a) you put the metal tab back in there properly with the holes lined up and if I recall correctly, the little dimple down. You should be able to see directly through the bottom through the two little holes once it is screwed in.

b) you didn't damage the plunger. If you cleaned it with anything caustic it could be the little debris that you see floating in the bowl, but I doubt it as I am not sure how that kid of debris could get down in the bowl.

c) make sure your plunger didn't get marred on the sides. If you put it in a vise or something like that to hold it wile you worked on it, that is a  bad idea as any little marring will create a catch point and not allow the slide to "slide" smoothly. If it can't slide up properly when you nail the throttle, it isn't letting enough fuel in.

d) as others noted, make sure you don't have crap in your tank or failing fuel line, etc.  If you never get to reserve you may never be getting down to the bottom of the tank and getting any of the debris that may be settled down there and when you hit reserve recently you picked some of it up.

Good luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/02/17 at 08:58:54

installed a Dyna muffler and experimented with the jets until I settled on 52.5/152.5 and spacer at 50% (2 brass washers). I had a spell of about a week where it ran really well - smooth and strong all the way through the throttle, and impressive top speed. It was a joy to ride.

How does running out of gas, hitting a tree, dropping the bike, Change your air/fuel ratio?
If it Ran Good with the Wrong Jets in it for a week, can you explain Why?
If it's Running Right for a week, and something happens, and now the jetting is wrong, only something that changed how much gas per unit of air passes through could have done that.

I'd put the jets in that gave you good performance. As stated, the fuel line may be disintegrating,
Surging Is a subjective word. What speed, what throttle setting, what gear, so the carb geniuses will know what circuits in the carb are agrieving you.

The petcock can shad rubber, fuel line, too.
The Raptor and a new fuel line, put the jets back that gave you good results.
The washers are a smaller diameter.
How much smaller?
Did it run good with them in the carb?
If so, why would that change?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 02/02/17 at 12:53:08

Thanks heaps for the responses guys. There are a couple of avenues in there that sound promising.

Dave, I'll check the air intake. The vac cap is brand new and fits very snug. The fuel line idea is really interesting. The dust in the carb is definitely black. I reckon it could be little bits of black rubber from the fuel line.

Ruttly, I'm pretty sure about the fuel mix in terms of the jets. So that does lean it toward an issue with air.

Dave, I didn't know there was an o-ring on the idle mix screw. I've never had it all the way out before. I'll keep that in mind.

Gary, I've already changed to the raptor. I didn't inspect the fuel thoroughly, but it was fresh fuel and I have a pretty fine filter on the funnel I use when filling the bike. However I'll check the fuel as part of the torubleshooting. When you say "spray the carb", what do you mean? What do I spray it with?

Stew, that's a really good point about the diaphragm tube. I didn't damage it, but due to my inexperience, I didn't clean particularly carefully. I didn't even realise unti now that that tube slides up and down. I'll take care of that. As for the diaphragm itself, I wass very careful in getting that out (and in putting it back in). I also made sure the rubber was seated properly between the top of the carb and the carb body. That piece goes in and out very easily.

Justin, Yeah, I was thinking the same as you. The jets were working well for a week. It went off again after I ran on reserve. I figured it probably wasn't the jets but just wanted to try something (I had been meaning to test higher jets anyway, as part of my learning). As I mentioned I hit the upper level and started to drop the performance. So at least I know where the limit of the jets is now  Smiley

Yes, 'surging' is subjective. It comes on in second and third gear in the 1/8 - 1/4 throttle range. Everything else runs great. It feels they way it feels when I'm riding into a moderate swirling headwind. The bike feels like it's being held up ever so slightly in short irregular bursts. Based on all my reading on here, that points to the spacer mod (which I have done, and had working). I think you're correct - it's something else.

As for the washer OD size, I haven't measured them but they are definitely smaller than the spacer, and slightly irregular circumference. I thought maybe that was creating some sideways play in the needle.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 02/02/17 at 13:02:04

One more question, There's a plastic tube with a lip on it that guides the large spring in the carb diaphragm. I'm almost certain when I first opened the carb, the plastic tube was in the bottom of the diaphragm tube, with the lip at the bottom. However when I'm reassembling it, it looks to me as though it should be at the top so that the lip on the plastic tube is pressing up onto the lid of the carb, and the spring is seated in the bottom of the diaphragm.

In short, which way does this white tube go in the carb? Lip down, into the tube with spring over it, or spring in first then the tube down the middle with the lip on top?

IMG_20170111_161856.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 02/02/17 at 13:33:19

IslandRoad wrote on 02/02/17 at 12:53:08:
Gary When you say "spray the carb", what do you mean? What do I spray it with?

Use a standard carb cleaner. In the US we have a product called Gum-Out

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 02/02/17 at 13:35:54

Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/02/17 at 13:36:24

I don't know what "white tube" you are talking about?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 02/02/17 at 13:51:15

Hi Dave, The photo I posted is cut off at the bottom. If you scroll it up you can see the spring and the tube. Or click the link to see the full sized version.

I had previously checked the image you posted and couldn't find the tube either.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 02/02/17 at 14:02:45

I have never seen that tube in any carb I have worked on....must be a non-US thingy.

I would most likely mount it at the top of the spring so that it is stationary - if you mounted it at the bottom it would move up/down with the slide.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:47:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What else causes surging?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.