Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stalling at idle problem (Read 293 times)
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Stalling at idle problem
01/30/17 at 10:58:21

Hi! New S40 rider here. Also largely mechanical newb.

Bike is a 2012 model, 7400 miles (bought at 7100 or so 2 months back). No modifications. In the Piedmont of North Carolina (400ft), so currently a few degrees above freezing most mornings.

Since getting the bike, I've had an on-and-off issue of it stalling when I dethrottle to idle. Always starts just fine with the choke in the morning, warms up and idles fine.

Some days, that's it - runs beautifully. Some rides, too - even after a bad day - runs beautifully.
Most days and most rides, though, I'll get anywhere from one to three stops down the road and when I dethrottle to stop, the engine idles down too far, stumbles and stalls. Sometimes, but not always, there will be a smell of unburned gas while riding, and it will always stall at the next idle when this is the case (too rich mixture?)

When this happens, gas will leak out the carb overflow for a minute or two afterwards. The engine will start again without choke if I roll the throttle on about 1/4 OR run the starter for 6-7 seconds, then will usually idle high for a minute then be ok. But then, two stops down the road, it's stalled again and dribbling gas. At present, will start without choke or throttle, but will begin leaking gas from the carb overflow as long as the engine is idling.

Given the carb overflow gas leak, presumably the carb is getting flooded. However, turning the petcock to PRIME either before, during or after a stall does not cause any change in the behavior - a stuck float valve would be the obvious culprit, except I'd expect a stuck valve to leak with the petcock on prime...

I have also tried adjusting the idle speed, which seems to make no difference. Tapping the carb with a rubber hammer doesn't help.

The dealership it was bought from have taken it back in twice. First time they stripped, cleaned and reassembled the carb, and the bike ran fine for them for 3-4 miles, but stalled within 200 feet of my house when they brought it back. Second time, they put 15 miles on it without being able to replicate the problem, so I think they just gave it back to me without doing anything (annoying, of course, that one of it's "running like a dream" journeys would be when the tech was riding it...). It's going in a third time for 7500-mile service in a few days, and I'd love to give them some clear pointers on specific things to check, or things I can try in the meantime.  

Any ideas?

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Stalling at idle problem
Reply #1 - 01/30/17 at 12:28:18

So......do you still have the stock vacuum petcock?

When the diaphragm goes bad....it can allow fuel to flow down the vacuum line and flood the engine with fuel.

Read this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #2 - 01/30/17 at 12:37:04

I do still have the original petcock (I plan to pop a raptor on there, but given that I've now owned my first bike for, what, two months? I'm hesitant...) - would that cause gas to flow out of the carb overflow line?

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/30/17 at 12:41:07

I'd clean the carb and put in a new float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 01/30/17 at 19:41:54

Alex , your saying carb overflow line ,there are two lines that are tucked up into the backbone of the frame .they should both leak fuel if the bike is upright .are these the lines your talking about?......I think you have a small hole in the rubber diaphragm in the petcock,yes you've only 7000 miles on the bike ,but it's 5 years old which means it sat around a long time with old gas in the petcock . buy a raptor ,change it yourself! buy an adjustable wrench! skip the dealer! they no very little about the care and feeding of the S-40!

« Last Edit: 01/30/17 at 22:13:01 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #5 - 01/31/17 at 05:36:40

First - Raptor petcock on order. Service manual arrived yesterday. I suspect I'll still have the dealership do the first few services - I won't feel confident diving into the middle of the engine right away - but the definite medium-term goal is to learn to do it myself.

What I'm calling the "carb overflow" is a hose on the very bottom of the bike - which I think is meant to return overflowed fuel to the fuel tank? I was advised to leave it unconnected so that it leaked instead, on the grounds that you'd rather see an overflow than save a few cents on gas. If that's not what I think it is then please correct me!

For my own learning: the problem with the vacuum petcock is that if the diaphragm leaks, then it will pull gas from the petcock directly into the intake manifold, yes? And this in turn will make the mixture far too rich, since you're adding extra fuel to the air via the faulty vacuum hose?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/31/17 at 05:42:54

Can you take a photo of the tube you are talking about....does it terminate just behind the engine/front of the swing arm?  It could be that the tube is the drain for the air box.....and your fuel is flowing into the air box when the petcock vacuum line runs fuel into the carb....or the float bowl overflows.

If that is the air box drain....it is not supposed to be a vent or overflow tube - it is the place where un-burned oil from the crankcase vent collects.....and you are supposed to remove the cap and drain the "spooge" when you do an oil change.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/31/17 at 06:46:09

One of the 2 tubes hanging down from under the engine will be the battery vent if you still have a wet cell battery.

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 01/31/17 at 09:31:14

Dave and Kenny ,are right on! but if you have gas running out this tube it could also be running into your cylinder and down into your oil,I would hold off riding the bike until you change the petcock (drain tht gas from the tank by using "pri" then unbolt the petcock,replace with raptor,it has the same base) then plug the opening on the carb where the vacuum line was,(you can buy rubber caps at any parts store) then check your oil, open the fill cap and if you smell fuel in your oil you need to change it and filter ,you might want to change your air filter as well. If it was suggested to leave the cap off that drain hose by someone at the dealership ,that is a perfect example of them not knowing $hit about your S-40 ! If after you change this you still have the problem ,you have a problem with the carb float or float valve it can't be anything else.

IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #9 - 01/31/17 at 09:50:12

Thank you guys!

I'll take a photo of the hose I'm talking about when I get home to work out what it actually is. Having now found out where the carb overflows are meant to be, I now know it's not that...

(given that it's gas that leaks out, I certainly hope it's not the battery breather  Wink )

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/31/17 at 10:27:59

You should also replace the plug on the air box drain tube,it should not be open all the time,if it is open when the motor is running the carb will pull in air through it and it enters the air box between the filter and carb(dirty) and ruin your motor over time.

IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #11 - 01/31/17 at 14:43:09

Ok. Light wasn't too good to get a photo, but I followed the leaking hose up, and it goes into a black plastic box behind the battery (which has two hoses coming out of it).
A look in my brand-spanking-new copy of the Clymer's service manual leaves me 99% certain that this black plastic box is the air box (the huge tube coming out if it into the top of the carb might be what gives it away), and that thus gas is indeed leaking into the air box, presumably via the petcock vacuum hose.

Raptor petcock should arrive Friday, and of course I won't ride her until then. Oil smells of oil, not gas, and is still amber-colored in the gauge, so I think the oil's fine.  Thanks, everyone!

Batman - thanks for the heads-up on needing to plug this hose back up again. I'm fairly certain it was open when I bought it, but there is a wire ring around it that looks like it held a plug in place, so I was never 100% sure that it should be open...

One last thing though:
having now learned where the carb overflow lines actually are, I noticed that one of them curves back over the top of the carb, but the other runs backwards and is tucked under the seat. This second line doesn't seem correct, but I wouldn't really know. What's the best place for these hoses to go?!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 01/31/17 at 14:51:25

A gasoline soaked air filter really messes with how it runs.
If you're getting that much gas coming from the carb going into the airbox that it's showing up on the floor,, you REALLY need to fix that and you probably have gas in your oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/31/17 at 15:14:48

AlexW wrote on 01/31/17 at 14:43:09:
One last thing though:
having now learned where the carb overflow lines actually are, I noticed that one of them curves back over the top of the carb, but the other runs backwards and is tucked under the seat. This second line doesn't seem correct, but I wouldn't really know. What's the best place for these hoses to go?!

both get tucked into the frame above the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 01/31/17 at 20:35:25

That "ring" on the drain hose is a clamp used to hold a plastic plug ,but a small bolt would work as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling at idle problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.