Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clutch in wrong. no idea of plate setup (Read 133 times)
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

clutch in wrong. no idea of plate setup
01/22/17 at 16:29:15

been told my savage 650 clutch basket or plates had been put in wrong when owned by the previous owner. i thought he had took care of that. anyway oil dropped cases whipped off and no play in the clutch plates where like they was stuck together. when bike was put in gear when started it would cut off with a locked up back wheel. took the basket off arranged them as they looked to av gone tightened it all back up a turn at a time on each of the four bolts and they where play in the plates then. what is the right way of arranging clutch plates on these bikes/ also attached to the clutch rod arm on the inside of the crankcase the small square plate that pushed onto the pin in the middle of the basket  has cracked what is the mechanical name of this/ thanks.bobbertom

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: clutch in wrong. no idea of plate setup
Reply #1 - 01/22/17 at 16:34:19

clutch push rod, comes in three lengths.
I think the middle length is stock, but they're cheap.  get all three.

oops, you want the other thing.

release cam 23263-24b01

get the o-ring for the case seal too.  09280-07004

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 01/22/17 at 19:14:40

Go to Ron Ayers site pump in make, year, model.then look at exploded view of the clutch ,it should show you proper order of plates .etc. The release cam may be your whole problem. Those four bolts should be torqued to spec!

« Last Edit: 01/29/17 at 19:39:54 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/07/17 at 11:41:51

Right guys IV ended up having to get a new clutch basket for the savage soaked plates in oil over night fitted it. Also fitted new cam release.Borrowed a torque wrench to tighten the four bolts up and all it did was keep tightening. So iv had to result in tightening by hand until nipped with a quarter of a turn.crankcase on connect cable pull clutch in kick in gear back wheel just stays locked up whilst clutch is still pulled in. IV done this process over and over again keep nipping the four bolts up bit by bit each time. It's as if the clutch cable or lever arm isn't pushing the clutch plates in far enough.there is definitely tension on the cam release I'm sure of it. Iv really got to the point now where I wanna boot the nuts out of it. Undecided IV got too much time and money in  this bike now to just let her go as a project. Where am I going wrong Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/07/17 at 11:59:04

Not the easiest thing to put together and have it work right.
1st time I did it, same results as you.
To fix it, all I did was remove the spider, knock it from side to side and put the spider back in.

There's 1 smaller disk, that goes on last.
Look carefully at the flat washer and the beveled (wave) washer, really it's a spring meant to disengage the pack from the center (I'm gonna have to look term's)
The flat washer will sit on the aluminum side, while the bevel will sit between the flat and a clutch plate.  Otherwise you'll get wear.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/07/17 at 12:06:10

Can you get it in neutral?
Will it roll?
If not, pull the plug. If you can't roll it in neutral with the plug out, it's not the clutch, it's the transmission.
Are you saying you never got the nut holding the clutch basket tight?
You might wind up pulling the clutch  and trying to roll it.
Will it roll either way or at all? 1/2"?Any clunking?
How tight is the belt? Is it possible something is jammed under it and stuck against the case? Is the rear brake adjusted tight?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/07/17 at 12:16:04

bobbertom wrote on 02/07/17 at 11:41:51:
1.Borrowed a torque wrench to tighten the four bolts up and all it did was keep tightening.
2.So iv had to result in tightening by hand until nipped with a quarter of a turn.
3.crankcase on connect cable pull clutch in kick in gear back wheel just stays locked up whilst clutch is still pulled in.
4.It's as if the clutch cable or lever arm isn't pushing the clutch plates in far enough.

1.What torque are you using?
2.When I did mine, even with the HD springs, I was able to speed wrench 2 opposing bolts in only, then the other 2 afterwards.
3.See previous post.
4.See previous post.

WWW   IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/11/17 at 04:46:36

I don't no what u mean by remove the spider to knock it from side to side??? Had the the bike hoisted up so back wheels off the floor the back wheel turns fine when in neutral but with the clutch pulled in and kicked in gear the back wheel will only turn a 1/4 turn it's acting as if the clutch isn't pulled in. So IV filled her back up with oil and  going to heat her up with revs on and slam it into gear to c if it releases the plates. I did buy a complete new clutch basket soaked it in oil over nyt so surely that definitely set up right now thanks.

IP Logged
bobbertom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/11/17 at 04:51:32

IV also taken the belt off to c if it solves anything but no was the same when in neutral fine but in gear the front belt pulley wheel just juddered a slight bit each time I turned it over. the rear brake is on a slack setting too  Sad

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/11/17 at 05:16:43

bobbertom wrote on 02/11/17 at 04:46:36:
.So IV filled her back up with oil and  going to heat her up with revs on and slam it into gear to c if it releases the plates..

That is a horrible approach.  If it is assembled correctly, the clutch will release easily.  You must have assembled something wrong.

If you want to try the "muscle" approach....find a big open area with no obstacles or a street with no traffic.  This does require some riding skill and being comfortable riding a bike that will not stop unless you stall the engine, and if you encounter an obstacle you will not be able to stop the bike easily.  Start the bike up and get it warm, then while the bike is running push the bike as fast as you can, and jump on and put the bike in 1st gear.  The bike will be moving at a speed somewhere around 9 - 10 mph at idle....while you are riding give the bike some throttle, pull int the clutch lever, and apply the back brake.  If the clutch won't break free it is time to take it apart and see what you have done wrong. (My trials motorcycle was a bit finicky when the clutch plates got polished....on a trials bike you control traction by slipping the clutch.  After a year of clutch slipping, the clutch didn't want to release if the bike sat for a couple of days without being ridden.  I could start the bike, push off with my right foot and click the bike into first gear with my left foot, and ride in my hay field while pulling in the clutch and applying the rear brake....and it took about 10 seconds for the clutch to release.  About once a year I had to take the clutch apart and scuff the plates to remove the shine....and then the clutch would work normal again.....it was all part of the maintenance required on a trials bike).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:33:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clutch in wrong. no idea of plate setup

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.