Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine beats for S40 vs GS500 (Read 95 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Engine beats for S40 vs GS500
01/06/17 at 00:01:16

I thought I'd check the revs using a recording and timing the beats. I know both bikes are around 1000 rpm but I am surprised to see that the twin and the single are registering the same bpm, which is currently about 4 per half second. So that 8/sec or 480 per minute. I know they aren't loping at 480 rpm so I assume I need to double that to get 960 as I know they also are not idling at 1920. But how come they are both showing the same amount of beats per minute?

This seems a little curious to me I would expect a twin cylinder to be twice as many.

P.S, the S40 was not warmed up yet I just taped it for a few seconds to test this method out.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Engine beats for S40 vs GS500
Reply #1 - 01/06/17 at 07:57:30

Interesting to see the heart beats of the engines.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/06/17 at 10:25:01

I would guess that the BPM program looks for a repeating pattern, and in a twin the 2 cylinders don't create a similar enough pattern to be picked up as a single firing twice as often.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #3 - 01/06/17 at 10:43:55

That would be 960 rpm would be correct.  You are probably only noting on your measurements (sound I assume) the power pulses.  Remember this is a 4 stroke motor so you have 2 full revolutions (720 deg) per complete cycle.  You are not really seeing the intake cycle which is a full revolution just like the exhaust cycle that you hear.  

Now on the GS500E that is a twin cyclinder 4 stroke with a 180 deg crank.  That means when one piston is up the other is down.  you still have one power pulse per 720 deg or crank ration per cyclinder but the two cylinders are 180 deg out of phase so you should hear twice the exhaust pulses but they are close to each other (offset of only 1/4 of the full period between noises). so it is possible they may sound like one noise but actually be two pulses close together.

if you had a 360 deg crank  (like an XS650)  then the pulses are full 1/2 period apart and should be easier to hear.

If you used an accelerometer to measure the revs then you should be able to see the primary vibration as 1 time per rev rather than the 1 time per 2 revs you are seeing with sound.  For the GS500 the 180 phase offset adds complexity to the measurements of sound or accelerometer but you should be able to see the primary and secondary interactions.

NOTE:  you said GS500.  I am assuming this is the GS500E or F which was a twin and not the original GS500 which was a 4 cyclinder.

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 01/06/17 at 18:05:28

@Smokin, thanks for that explanation, I guess the busier pulse must be because it's a combination of the two cylinders as opposed to the simpler pulse on the S40. Yes gs500 twin.

@Dave, this is not a special rpm app, (which I tried to purchase but I couldn't find any cheap ones) it's just a normal recording that I then opened up in Audacity zoomed in till I got enough detail and took a screenshot. After I get my new muffler on I think I'll use a recording to make sure that I have the pilot mix to give the highest rpm.

got the idea off this guy. https://youtu.be/PZby_Y3iuuk

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #5 - 01/06/17 at 18:13:29

Yes that makes much more sense if the first graph is the GS500.  I was assuming the oposite only based on the order you stated them but I felt they should be reversed.  you can see the double hump each wide wave on the first graph.  that is your double pulse.

as far as apps the one I have played with is RPM Gauge by Javier Yanez.  it is free.  I won't say it is perfect because when you get a good muffler on a multi cylinder engine it struggles but it is fun to play with.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 02:49:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine beats for S40 vs GS500

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.