Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bigger shocks help please (Read 135 times)
Hankjrfan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigger shocks help please
01/03/17 at 21:12:15

Ok, so ive seen this asked but no answer.. I installed intruder shocks but this has caused the passenger peg to hit the factory exhaust and the exhaust to b against the brake line that leads to the rear rim.. Was this mod maybe not a good idea for a stock bike? I hate to pull em back off so if simply shimming out the exhaust is all i need to do can anyone tell me if they have done so? Im fine with the factory exhaust and dont really want to bother replacing it unless that is the only way.. Thanks for all the great tips i have learned from this site.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Bigger shocks help please
Reply #1 - 01/03/17 at 21:47:35

If you don't ever carry a passenger remove the pegs ,or you could swap to a dyna muffler .or if you don't want to due either you could move the pegs forward on the swing arm ,but this would involve welding and some fabrcatoin,but can be done.( it has the advantage of a foot forward position ,much like the driver,and less movement of their feet when hitting a bump due to being closer to were the swing arm pivots.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hankjrfan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/04/17 at 07:03:29

Thanks for the tip.. Removing peg is a given but my other problem is the exhaust is now so tight to the frame that the rear brake line (where it connects to the frame and has a rubber style housing at the pleat) is touching the exhaust.. It would seem to me heat would melt this.. I thought maybe i did something incorrect during the install as i have not heard of this before. As im in upstate ny ive got a lil time to figure it out but at this point im wondering if this mod will b worth my trouble.. Maybe 12.5" was a lil much to go with. Im considering the exhaust mod if i can find something direct bolt on, i dont wanna weld. Thanks again for all the help on this site (as well as the gz250 site). Thumpers are great!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/04/17 at 12:08:42

You might  try placing a few washers on the bolts holding the muffler to the mounting bracket and allowing the entire exhaust to swing out away from the brake line.There are mufflers that are made to be direct bolt ups for the bike ,Ryca  for example now has two.

IP Logged
Hankjrfan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/04/17 at 14:28:53

Thats what i was thinking as well batman.. I just wasnt sure how much play i had before it would overly stress the upper area of the pipe. I have also read to look for clearance issues around the belt guard, but im not seeing anything thus far. I am ready to try some washers to gain clearance just as soon as it freakn gets above 20 degrees outside ( no heat in the building). Thanks for the input, sounds like i may not have installed wrong, just need to spend more time with it. I also cant help but wonder if i will need to adjust the belt since the swing arm has shifted..

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 01/05/17 at 09:27:41

You should loosen the belt some as the belt is at it's tightest when the swingarm is parallel to the ground(You could jack up the bike and remove the shocks ,then lower the jack until he arm is level to adjust the slack, than replace the shocks and adjust for straightness on the pulleys).........as for the exhaust ,Just loosen the bolts a the head ,and unbolt the muffler, the entire exhaust should just swing out,place your spacers on the muffler bolts to get the clearance you need but don't tighten them until last, tighten the head bolts evenly first.

IP Logged
Hankjrfan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/06/17 at 17:03:38

Thank you batman.. That is exactly what i am going to do next free day. If i dont like the feel of the ride after these adjustments, i found a deal on some 11" progressive 412 series shocks i may try next (birthday is coming so wifey says i can get em). Is 200 bucks a fair price for new ones? (they are not the heavy duty model).

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/06/17 at 22:10:45

yes I think that's what I paid for mine ,they should come with a bushing kit that allows them to be mounted to any bike ,be sure to ask at buying time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:57:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bigger shocks help please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.