Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedback (Read 861 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedbac
Reply #60 - 01/10/17 at 03:47:46

@IR thanks again for the shots.

Okie dokie, I feel fully prepared. Nothing like being forewarned. I'll post back again next week when hopefully I'll have the dyna and k&n air filter in too.

@Lancer, if you are reading this, do you have any thoughts about how the initial idle rpm seems to affect whether or not the pilot screw will make the engine die when fully turned in? At 900rpm it dies when fully in but at 1200rpm you can turn it fully in and it's still idling just a tad slower.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 01/10/17 at 04:20:55

The reason I suggest dropping the idle speed down to adjust the idle speed mixture screw - is that when the idle speed is up over 1,000 - the slide is beginning to lift and some fuel will begin to flow out of the jet needle at the top of the main jet.  That makes it nearly impossible to get the engine to react to the adjustment of the mixture screw.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #62 - 01/10/17 at 18:00:42

Plus the lower idle makes it easier to hear when you find the "sweet spot" with the adjustment screw.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #63 - 01/10/17 at 21:25:31

@Eau, here's another picture for you, for when you take the top of the carb. That long spring on the left pushes up against the top of the carb. It's not a big deal because you'll be sliding the top off to get it past the frame of the bike, but it can give you a surprise if you don't expect it and a 'slinky' comes up at ya when your're tentatively trying to get the lid off  Wink.

Oh, and be careful when you lift the rubber diaphragm out (the thing on the right) the top bit is soft. I believe it expands and contracts as part of the vacuum operation of the carb, so don't puncture it or tear it ( you probably won't, but best to be careful)  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #64 - 01/10/17 at 21:27:17

Cheers "Sensei"  Cool

LANCER wrote on 01/10/17 at 03:21:27:
You are doing well "Grasshopper". 🏍😎

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #65 - 01/13/17 at 01:36:52

Hey guys, just updating this thread with today's progress.

I had some time to do the needle spacer mod. I gotta tell ya it's basically impossible to get washers at the right size around here. I could get stainless or brass with 1/8 ID but they all have 5/16 OD. The spacer is 1/4 OD so the washers will go over the needle but not down the hole.

I did some research on here and found a handy chart by Verslagen1 which confirmed the metal spacers have a larger OD than the nylon ones. Anyway I tried four different hardware stores and none could supply washers with the correct OD, and none could supply nylon washers at all.

So I decided to modify the washers I had. The stainless ones were too thin. The brass ones were 1/4 the thickness of the original spacer. I put a bunch of them on a bolt, tightened them on and filed em.

This is what they looked like originally:

Washers_Original.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #66 - 01/13/17 at 01:40:36

I clamped the bolt to the bench then filed 'em - rotating occasionally. Large flat file first, then a small "jeweler's file" I got in a set of small files for two bucks, then 400, then 600 grit paper. I turned out that the wide point of the nut on each end was the correct OD, so they acted as a guide.

This is how they look after filing - pretty ain't it?

Washers_Filed.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #67 - 01/13/17 at 01:42:30

After I separated them, I gave them a light run over on the flat with the 400 and 600 grit paper to knock off little burs on the edges.

This is the original washer I bought next to the modified one:

Modified_Washer.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #68 - 01/13/17 at 01:51:15

So, I had moved the original spacer form the middle notch to the lower notch on the needle, but the results weren't satisfactory - still got surging at low throttle. I checked the distance between the notches and it is the equivalent of one washer - so that represents a spacer of 75% thickness.

So this time, I moved the clip back to the middle notch and went with two washers (50% spacer).

Here's a picture showing one washer on the needle. You can see that it sits right between the middle and upper notch:

Washer_Spacing.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #69 - 01/13/17 at 01:58:02

So, after all that, the bike runs better than ever - based on a test ride today. I'm going on a two hour ride to visit my daughter tomorrow. The trip is half open highway, half winding roads through hills, and the weather is going to be perfect. So I'll get a chance to forget about tuning for the day, and just enjoy riding the bike Smiley

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #70 - 01/13/17 at 06:55:21

IslandRoad wrote on 01/13/17 at 01:36:52:

I had some time to do the needle spacer mod. I gotta tell ya it's basically impossible to get washers at the right size around here.
I did some research on here and found a handy chart by Verslagen1 which confirmed the metal spacers have a larger OD than the nylon ones. Anyway I tried four different hardware stores and none could supply washers with the correct OD, and none could supply nylon washers at all.

Try McMaster-Carr (mcarr.com) as they have nearly everything and in the 25+ years I have done business with them (I was a purchasing manager for several large factories) I have never had any bad experience.

They now will sell to private individuals, and their online catalog is extremely easy to use.

Also, anyone living in Ohio, it is worth a trip to Hartville Hardware, Hartville, OH, as this is a HUGE hardware/lumber store that has everything.  It is privately owned by a Mennonite family and has a history of about 70 years.  The store itself is larger than any big-box store you have ever been in.  Wonderful people wonderful service.

I used to live near there, but now I am in SC.  I regularly call them, get the correct department, and get a salesman to find me what I want, and they will send it to me in the mail.  Check it out on the internet at hartvillehardware.com

While you are there, check out Hartville Kitchen. Also owned by the same family, and awesome, family style food!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #71 - 01/13/17 at 07:02:56

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/13/17 at 06:55:21:
Try McMaster-Carr (mcarr.com) as they have nearly everything and in the 25+ years I have done business with them (I was a purchasing manager for several large factories) I have never had any bad experience.

IslandRoad lives on an island in Australia.....he is doing the best he can without getting washers shipped half a world away! Wink

When you remove the white plastic spacer - The brass washers are thicker than the steel #4 washers (and larger diameter) - so if those are the only ones you can find, you should start with using only 2 washers instead of the 3 washers that we normally recommend as a starting point.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #72 - 01/13/17 at 07:49:14

Dave wrote on 01/13/17 at 07:02:56:

IslandRoad lives on an island in Australia.....he is doing the best he can without getting washers shipped half a world away! Wink

But it is nice to know that there is a place that stuff is easy to find on their web site, and that can be purchased - stuff that, sometimes, the average person can get mail order that has been only available to professionals!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #73 - 01/13/17 at 12:33:21

Thanks for the tip. It's good to have another internet resource ☺

IslandRoad wrote on 01/13/17 at 01:36:52:

I had some time to do the needle spacer mod. I gotta tell ya it's basically impossible to get washers at the right size around here.

They now will sell to private individuals, and their online catalog is extremely easy to use.

Also, anyone living in Ohio, it is worth a trip to Hartville Hardware, Hartville, OH, as this is a HUGE hardware/lumber store that has everything.  It is privately owned by a Mennonite family and has a history of about 70 years.  The store itself is larger than any big-box store you have ever been in.  Wonderful people wonderful service.

I used to live near there, but now I am in SC.  I regularly call them, get the correct department, and get a salesman to find me what I want, and they will send it to me in the mail.  Check it out on the internet at hartvillehardware.com

While you are there, check out Hartville Kitchen. Also owned by the same family, and awesome, family style food!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #74 - 01/13/17 at 12:36:33

The cost of shipping is a big factor on large items, on small things it's ok. But time is also a factor. I'd prefer to be doing something instead of waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail ☺

Dave wrote on 01/13/17 at 07:02:56:

When you remove the white plastic spacer - The brass washers are thicker than the steel #4 washers (and larger diameter) - so if those are the only ones you can find, you should start with using only 2 washers instead of the 3 washers that we normally recommend as a starting point.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:31:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedback

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.