Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedback (Read 861 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedbac
Reply #45 - 01/08/17 at 20:24:42

IR,wide open throttle employs all your jets ,you have fuel coming in from your idle jet +jet needle +needle jet+ main jet.A 150 main is usually ok ,but if you live at sea level to 1000 ft . you may be still running to lean at WOT .and may have to go to a152.5 main. the way to test your main is to get the bike pulling hard with wot,then back the throttle off about 1/8,if the bike speeds up the main is to small(it's going lean) if the motor bogs the main is to large(it's going rich)if neither you have the correct size.you should use the smallest jet possible to get your bike to run well ,as larger jets decrease your mpg.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #46 - 01/08/17 at 21:05:02

Thanks Batman,

I'll give it another test run tomorrow morning and see if I can tell if the main jet needs another step up

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #47 - 01/08/17 at 22:41:11

OK I don't have the Dyna in yet, but with the same weather, I'm running a 145 main and a 55 pilot and I've done the WOT then back off thing and it's pulling like a maniac with no surging upon 1/8 closure. Before I went to the 55 pilot from the stock 52.5 there was surging at low rpm. Now it's as smooth as silk pulls all the way from fully shut to wot with no surging or backfiring or pooting upon shutdown, plus the engine is running cooler. I'd seriously consider going back to the 55 pilot for another look.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #48 - 01/08/17 at 23:57:05

That's really interesting given that we are at the same elevation, and similar weather.

I've been holding off on more changes for the last few days just to get a feel for the bike without tuning in too much. It's running pretty well. And the carb fuel mix screw is about 1 1/4 out for max rpm - that seems about right. I've also lifted the carb needle. I get a little bit of afterfiring, but only as much as seems normal for this type of bike. I'm not too concerned if I can't eliminate that.

Having said that, I'm using this as a learning experience, as well as trying to get the best from the bike. And changing the jets takes about 5 minutes now, so I'm not opposed to testing a little more, even if it just means changing them back if it doesn't improve it. I just learn more along the way ☺

eau de sauvage wrote on 01/08/17 at 22:41:11:
OK I don't have the Dyna in yet, but with the same weather, I'm running a 145 main and a 55 pilot and I've done the WOT then back off thing and it's pulling like a maniac with no surging upon 1/8 closure. Before I went to the 55 pilot from the stock 52.5 there was surging at low rpm. Now it's as smooth as silk pulls all the way from fully shut to wot with no surging or backfiring or pooting upon shutdown, plus the engine is running cooler. I'd seriously consider going back to the 55 pilot for another look.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #49 - 01/09/17 at 17:33:58

@IslandRoad, I believe that the Dyna breathes better!?, so I'll probably end up with a bigger main and move the needle position, but most local riding at the 60km speed limit is done at under 1/4 throttle and mostly 1/8 throttle, in fact 1/4 will give me 80kph no problems, and this is virtually exclusively the pilot jet from what I'm given to understand and you have the Dyna which at best would not affect the pilot, but more likely would need to go up a size and as I don't have the Dyna and am running with the pilot perfectly at 1 3/4 turns out, I find it peculiar that your stock 52.5 would be fine. And as noted further upthread, the pilot will still come into the mix even at higher openings anyway.

This is what the sound graph looks like after taking it for a five minute ride, it is as even and perfect as it's possible to be at 1100rpm.

P.S, I've decided against the welding as the muffler guy is confident that I'll be happy with his work. This will be happening next week so I'll be able to compare like with like. Although I have ordered a K&N as well got one on eBay with postage included from the U.K for $80 AUD which is barely more than the OEM filter. And $80 is cheaper than you can buy in in America!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 01/09/17 at 17:55:46

It has been my experience that the needle position is far more responsible for the 1/8th and up throttle setting than the Pilot jet.  If you feel a slight surge at low throttle settings, try one less washer on the needle before you go up on the pilot jet.  You want a pilot jet that is sized to work best when the screw is set between 1.5 - 2 turns.....if you can turn the fuel screw all the way in and the bike is still running well - the pilot jet is too big (idle speed set about 800 rpm for the idle fuel screw adjustment - then back up to 1,000 - 1,100 when the adjustment is completed).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #51 - 01/09/17 at 19:30:42

Thanks for the advice Dave ☺

I had a feeling the needle spacer could come down a little bit more. I had moved it to the lowest notch on the needle and was hoping to get away with that. Still has a little surging at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle but I've been trying to ignore it. Probably need to reduce the spacer a little as well (I'm having trouble finding washers in the local shops that)

I put the 55 pilot in last night and took it for a good run to warm up the bike and test it, just to see what effect it had. I wouldn't say it ran any better, however it did virtually eliminate the afterfiring (that was nice, but not critical for me). I'm probably at the stage of fine-tuning now.

With the 55 pilot jet the fuel mix screw gives max rpm at about 3/4 turn CCW out from fully in. At fully in,  the idle slows just a little. At 3 turns CCW the bike almost stops.

Whereas, with the 52.5 pilot jet (stock), max rpm is at 1 1/2 turns CCW. The bike almost stops at fully in. And slows down considerably toward 3 turns out.

That seems to me to say the 52.5 is the right pilot jet.

Looks like I'll be reducing the spacer a little.

And I have a 152.5 main jet on order.

Dave wrote on 01/09/17 at 17:55:46:
It has been my experience that the needle position is far more responsible for the 1/8th and up throttle setting than the Pilot jet.  If you feel a slight surge at low throttle settings, try one less washer on the needle before you go up on the pilot jet.  You want a pilot jet that is sized to work best when the screw is set between 1.5 - 2 turns.....if you can turn the fuel screw all the way in and the bike is still running well - the pilot jet is too big (idle speed set about 800 rpm for the idle fuel screw adjustment - then back up to 1,000 - 1,100 when the adjustment is completed).

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #52 - 01/09/17 at 22:31:04

@IslandRoad, how come you are doing a spacer mod, I was under the impression that you have the jet with the clip? Which is what I was hoping to find when I open her up next week. Maybe I should get some no. 4 washers just in case.

@Dave,
This is amazingly weird. I had only recently upped the idle speed when hot to 1200 and when I turned the screw all the way in it did not stall as it did when I set it up initially with the 55 pilot. Right now the gf thinks I'm a bit mad because I'm analysing the engine beats in Audacity. So I turned the idle back down to 1000 and the engine stalled when the screw was still 1/2 out from fully shut. So it seems the idle speed also has a big bearing on this!? This is all with the 55 pilot. Just thought I'd let you know. I'm going to leave it as it is at the moment and try it all again next weeks when I put the Dyna muffler on. Just wanted to confirm with you that the initial idle speed has a big bearing on it.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #53 - 01/10/17 at 00:13:31

@Eau, my needle does have three notches for the clip that holds the spacer. Basically, middle is stock, and then one notch each way for leaner or richer. Dave's suggestion is based on using 4 washers to replace the spacer instead of moving the clip. By removing one washer at a time you  reduce the spacer by 1/4 height at a time, so you can adjust in smaller increments.

I was hoping the move to the richer notch would do the job but I think it need a little more. I've  read on these forums of guys experimenting with everything from 3 washers down to no spacer at all.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #54 - 01/10/17 at 01:02:19

@Island, OK so let me get this straight (because I haven't had the needle out yet) The washers can be used *as well as or instead of* moving the clip position?

@Dave, if I understood your post correctly are you saying that for the purposes of setting the pilot screw to set the idle rpm knob so that it's idling at 800? Because elsewhere Lancer suggested turning the idle higher than normal. His reasoning was that it's easier to hear the change in speed as you adjust the screw. But as I have just discovered having it at 1000 the engine would completely cut out before the idle mix screw was fully seated, but with the engine running at 1200 the engine did not cut out at all when the screw was fully turned in, in fact it didn't slow down that much at all!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #55 - 01/10/17 at 01:22:41

@Eau, all that matters is how far the needle gets lifted. There's a spring that pushes the needle upward against a plate. The plate has a hole in the top; small enough the catch the spacer, but big enough to let the top of the needle through. The white spacer sets the limit for how high it lifts.

Reduce the size of the spacer - the needle will push up higher.
Move the spacer down a notch - the needle will push up higher.

I assume any combination of the two would also work.

I'll post some pictures.

This is the needle, the spring, the clip, and a little washer that sits below the clip.

20170110_201620.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #56 - 01/10/17 at 01:25:06

This is the diaphragm from the top of the carb. You can see the needle poking through the bottom:

20170110_202541.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #57 - 01/10/17 at 01:28:59

This is looking down into the diaphragm. The two small screws hold the plate in place.  In order to get the plate on, you have to put pressure on it because the spring is pushing upward against the spacer from underneath. You can see the spacer down the centre, and the needle in the centre of that.

20170110_202829.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #58 - 01/10/17 at 01:39:03

BTW, I only get a tiny bit of surging with the spacer on the bottom notch. It probably wouldn't even bother some people. It may not even be worth doing any more adjustments to the spacer. But, being a noob, I don't know what I don't know. I'm happy to tinker with it - 'cause then I'll know!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #59 - 01/10/17 at 03:21:27

You are doing well "Grasshopper". 🏍😎

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:37:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedback

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.