Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedback (Read 861 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedbac
Reply #30 - 12/31/16 at 16:07:05

So I've got another question for the experienced guys.

I've been for a couple of longish rides since moving the spacer down a notch on the needle. The bike runs well, but I'm still getting a little bit of unevenness at the low end of the throttle -  just off idle, and probably not even up to about 1/4 turn of the throttle. Like when coasting in 4th gear at about 35 mpr. It's not extreme surging. It feels something like when an uneven headwind holds the bike up in little spurts.

Given that it's right down near idling, is possible the idle jet needs to go up one. Our is it more likely I need to reduce the spacer on the needle?

Thanks for the help.  

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 12/31/16 at 16:42:18

I could probably piddle with my jetting and smooth it out a bit..
But, it's not bad enough to inspire me to go messing around in there.
Are you riding and hunting for a spot where it's just not running perfect? Or, just running across town, normal operation it's irritating, surging and just bugging you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #32 - 12/31/16 at 18:06:44

Hi Justin,

I do look for unevenness when testing just after I change a jet until it feels about right, Then I ride normally for a couple of days and try to forget about it.

The surging was bugging me while riding around town. I do alot of slowish coasting in my general area. I tried to ignore it but it starts to affect the way I 'read' the bike while riding.

I just upped the pilot jet this morning and tested (I was going to wait for a response here but the time difference to the States means I usually get replies next morning). I reckon it's about right now. So I'll leave that setup and see how it goes.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 12/31/16 at 23:47:29

IR at 35mph,your engine is turning 2500rpm in 4th ,I think your lugging it ,why not just down shift to 3rd. You really shouldn't be in 4th below 40-45mph.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 12/31/16 at 23:48:32

I'll try to remember to reply tomorrow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #35 - 01/01/17 at 00:03:44

That's a good point about the rpm. It's a long stretch of road that varies between 60 kph and 80 kph (38-50 mph). It always feels like both those speeds are right between gears.

I did wonder if it was just the lugging causing the issue but I've checked it in different gears. It really feels like it's related to throttle position.

It's not an extreme issue, at this stage, by any means. The tuning has really improved the bike heaps and I could probably just live with the question 'how smooth is smooth?.

But I'm learning heaps by trouble shooting. So I'm just trying to iron out this last little wrinkle  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 01/01/17 at 00:15:09

Lugging isn't limited to speed and gear. Uphill? Into the wind? Accelerating? Luggage in the wind?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #37 - 01/01/17 at 00:43:20

I have lugged it a couple of times when I had slowed down more than I thought, when first getting used to the bike. I shifted down quickly because even I could tell that ain't good!

But taking your advice now, I think I should generally be adjusting my gear change habits. Not having a tach on this bike had perhaps made me a little cautious. Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #38 - 01/04/17 at 00:56:42

@IslandRoad,

I see that I must have the same set up as you regarding the notched slide needle, therefore I have a couple of questions.

I see you did not remove the carb to get to the needle, did you have any difficulty removing the Philips head screws without an impact driver. What notch position was being used when you opened it up, and what notch did you settle on. Also did you end up going back to the 55 pilot.  thx.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #39 - 01/04/17 at 02:06:40

No problem getting the screws out. Took the seat and tank off and could get to the top of the carb. Best tip I learnt on here was to file the tip off a number two phillips head screwdriver until you can feel the driver seat snuggly into the screw (the screws are JIS).

I had to start one stubborn one off with a multi-grip. Luckily I could get them onto it.

File a screwdriver for the screws that hold in the plate that covers the needle and the spacer too. They're down the guts of tube with the diaphragm on it. The tube comes out so you don't have to have a go at them in situ. I can't remember what size screwdriver (maybe #1 phillips). I almost stripped one of them using a standard phillips head! I managed to get it after filing the point of the driver - it makes a huge difference.

The clip was on the middle notch, so I moved it down to the bottom one. That makes the top of the needle poke further through the spacer (same effect as reducing the thickness of the spacer).

I had the 55 pilot in before I did the needle, but realised I had an exhaust leak. So after I did the needle, I returned the pilot to stock 52.5 and sorted out the muffler connection. The bike runs really well now. I'll run at this setup for a while and see how she goes.

I took photos as I worked. If you wanna see anything for reference just let me know.

Keep in mind, I'm an absolute Noob (In fact, there is nobody Noobier). I've been learning from the forum and having a go. Some more experienced guys will have more to offer Smiley

eau de sauvage wrote on 01/04/17 at 00:56:42:
@IslandRoad,

I see that I must have the same set up as you regarding the notched slide needle, therefore I have a couple of questions.

I see you did not remove the carb to get to the needle, did you have any difficulty removing the Philips head screws without an impact driver. What notch position was being used when you opened it up, and what notch did you settle on. Also did you end up going back to the 55 pilot.  thx.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #40 - 01/04/17 at 03:14:34

@IslandRoad,

That's excellent, yeah I get you're a n00b but so am I however as you've just done it you're more likely to be tuned into the inevitable 'gotchas'.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #41 - 01/07/17 at 12:22:13

IslandRoad wrote on 01/01/17 at 00:43:20:
I have lugged it a couple of times when I had slowed down more than I thought, when first getting used to the bike.

Years ago, in the dark ages, when I worked at a Honda dealer, the number one issue we had with riders is that they lugged the engines too much.  Americans weren't used to hearing RPM's and they thought that "slower" was better.  Not so if it means lugging!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #42 - 01/07/17 at 14:00:18

I looked up 'lugging' and did some reading. I had no idea out was so bad for the engine!

I have to admit that after riding dirt bikes, when I was Kid, and then my one little sports bike recently when I got back into riding, i really enjoy the wide range of torque that the S40 has. Probably enjoyed it a bit too much at the lower end when just running around town.

I've started running the bike at higher rpm in general and love it even more now.

I'm going to install a tachometer. Mostly to learn more about the bike ☺

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 01/07/17 at 12:22:13:
IslandRoad wrote on 01/01/17 at 00:43:20:
I have lugged it a couple of times when I had slowed down more than I thought, when first getting used to the bike.

Years ago, in the dark ages, when I worked at a Honda dealer, the number one issue we had with riders is that they lugged the engines too much.  Americans weren't used to hearing RPM's and they thought that "slower" was better.  Not so if it means lugging!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #43 - 01/07/17 at 18:19:36

[quote author=6A504F424D47714C4247230 link=1482904222/0#14 date=1482970791]Hi Lancer,

I adjusted both screws.....

If the bike seems to run ok on the stock jets, what would be the rationale for upping the main jet?

Pardon me for not being clear with my statement.
Sometimes my typing falls behind my thoughts and that leaves gaps
in the thought process that is written down.   That said, you should always go for an engine that runs best using whatever jets and settings you find that yields that.
There are "typical" jets and settings for the LS650 but there are always variants in the herd.  That is just the way it is with this machine.  Some of them are faster, some quicker, some stronger, some more forgiving, and some are just downright testy.   You are learning your machine, listen to it, it will tell you what it wants and when it feels really good.
We are here to support you through the process.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #44 - 01/07/17 at 20:57:32

Thanks Lancer,

You pretty much summed up the point I've come to ☺. And it's great to have this forum to lean on.

I've got the Dyna on and experimented with a few jet settings. Now I'm running it  and getting a feel for it. As I mentioned before, I'm new to all this, but man, this is such a good bike to learn on ... and ride!

Above all, it's a good honest hobby ... at least, that's how I explain it to the missus 😎

[quote author=414C434E485F1F1A2D0 link=1482904222/30#43 date=1483841976]IslandRoad wrote on 12/28/16 at 16:19:51:
Hi Lancer,

I adjusted both screws.....

If the bike seems to run ok on the stock jets, what would be the rationale for upping the main jet?

Pardon me for not being clear with my statement.
Sometimes my typing falls behind my thoughts and that leaves gaps
in the thought process that is written down.   That said, you should always go for an engine that runs best using whatever jets and settings you find that yields that.
There are "typical" jets and settings for the LS650 but there are always variants in the herd.  That is just the way it is with this machine.  Some of them are faster, some quicker, some stronger, some more forgiving, and some are just downright testy.   You are learning your machine, listen to it, it will tell you what it wants and when it feels really good.
We are here to support you through the process.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:30:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I re-jetted for Dyna Muffler - Seeking feedback

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.