Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Street Tracker Project finished (sort of) (Read 319 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Street Tracker Project finished (sort of)
Reply #30 - 12/14/16 at 20:03:17

Thought it looked familiar.  I almost bought one on eBay, but realized it might be too much work for my taste.  Looks like it proved to be quite a challenge!

IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #31 - 12/14/16 at 20:06:43

New mount for rear of tank.

As you can imagine, this was a LOT of work. I filled in the sides where the emblems were located. Many dents also showed up during the process of filling and sanding. Mucho work with the angle grinder, too.

I get tired just thinking of all the work involved.  If you look at the bike from the side, you can see where the bottoms of the tank and seat "flow" together. This is in my opinion a much more aesthetic finished look than the Ryca tank/seat combo, which is rather disjointed.

The downside, of course is no access to the spark plug. I had to make a custom manual decompression lever also, to clear the tank. All in all

tank_rear.jpg
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #32 - 12/15/16 at 13:49:25

Nice work!  what size rear tire and wheel? Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #33 - 12/15/16 at 15:16:54

A lot of slack in that chain , is your life insurance paid up ?
Helmet law in your state ?
Still very nice build !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #34 - 12/15/16 at 21:26:05

The chain looks loose because there is no weight on the bike. I weigh about 250 so it sags quite a bit when I'm on it. Chain slack was set with the shocks compressed.

Wheels are H2.15 x 18 36 hole shouldered aluminum rims from Mike’s XS.  I paid 85 dollars each back in 2012. The stainless spokes for the rear were 65 dollars. The prices for the same stuff from Ryca were more than double. Quality may have been better, I had no complaints.

The rear hub of the Suzuki was close to the same diameter as that of the Yamaha XS 650 so I used the spoke set for the Yammy.

I went to Buchanan’s in Irwindale for the front spokes. I took my hub and the rim to the shop and they made up spokes while I waited. They also had to redrill and realign the spoke holes, as the angles were not quite right.

Lacing the wheels was no big deal, just took patience.  I made my own truing stand, really just a dial indicator and a piece of rod for the axle. Trick was to use oil on the spoke threads so they wouldn’t bind up. That helped get a good torque value, too.

wheel_align.jpg
  IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #35 - 12/15/16 at 21:26:58

When I got the spokes aligned with minimal run out I used a fish scale and a quality spoke wrench to set the tension.

wheel_spoke.jpg
  IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #36 - 12/15/16 at 21:28:34

Tires are Duro HF308 Pirelli Universal clones. I had the Pirellis on a bike in the 60’s and think the pattern looks neat. This is the tire used on the Ural sidecar rig. Sizes are 3.50x18 front and 4.00 x18 rear.

Note that the swingarm had to be cut for tire clearance and then rewelded with a reinforcing plate.

wheel_swingarm.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:35:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Street Tracker Project finished (sort of)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.