Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Street Tracker Project finished (sort of) (Read 319 times)
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Street Tracker Project finished (sort of)
12/12/16 at 12:37:08

Hey Guys,

Thought I would show youse my Street Tracker project. I finished it enough to take it to the Chopperfest bike show in Ventura yesterday. Didn't really fit in with the Harleys but got a lot of positive comments.

I have only driven it around the block a couple of times. It isn't too loud, which surprised me,  as it has a big 2 inch pipe and a Supertrapp muffler. Not much power and terrible backfire. Lancer sent me some jets; soon as I find them can start tuning.

What do you think?

John in Kalifornia

bike-2.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Street Tracker Project finished (sort of)
Reply #1 - 12/12/16 at 12:53:55

Looks very good! but a 2" pipe ? even the raask is only 1.5" ,your problem may be not enough back pressure no matter how you jet,but you have a long straight run in the pipe maybe you could run a pipe inside your pipe to reduce the size without even changing the look.or even a small slide in baffle before the muffler ,you'll figure it out .great job so far !I'd ride it!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/12/16 at 13:11:02

Guyz,

I like your tracker.

Love the flame paint on the tank.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/12/16 at 13:20:06

The supertrapp is tunable.
Take out a couple of disks out of the super to increase back pressure and richen it up a bit.

What jets do you currently have?

What you removed the idle mixture plug and adjusted?

WWW   IP Logged
Mr.T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tega Cay, SC
Reply #4 - 12/12/16 at 15:43:28

Sweet looking scoot. Simple, clean build, I like it.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
  IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/12/16 at 16:24:18

Like the bike but I agree a 2 inch exhaust could be most of the problem!

IP Logged
carguyz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kalifornia
Reply #6 - 12/12/16 at 17:59:35

I don't know how much backpressure there is, probably not much. The Supertrapp has 12 discs in it now, that's a lot. The muffler itself has only about a 1 1/4  inch inlet; found it in my stash of old dirt bike parts.  Therefore, I do have a way to reduce the backpressure, as was suggested.

I checked just now and there is no way to get to the spark plug. I cut out the "tunnel" and welded in a new one that let the tank set lower down.  I also had to make a custom compression release lever to clear the tank.

Therefore, for tuning purposes plug reading is out. S'pose I should make up a temporary small bungee on gas tank and use that while carb tuning. That way I can get at the spark plug and the top of the carb (for adjusting the "white spacer".)

The bike just doesn't rev up. I don't know the history of the motor. The cam chain tensioner is not overly extended, it doesn't smoke and compression seems good.  I ordered a cheapy inductive tach from Amazon to help with the tuning. There is no speedometer, of course. How high is the Suzuki supposed to rev in each gear?

John in Kalifornia

So, for tuning purposes plug reading is out. S'pose I should make up a temporary small bungge on gas tank and use that while carb tuning. That way I can get at the spark plug and also the top of the carb (for adjusting the "white spacer".)

The bike just doesn't rev up. I don't know the history of the motor. The cam chain tensioner is not overly extended, it doesn't smoke and compression seems good.  I ordered a cheapy inductive tach from Amazon to help with the tuning. There  is no speedometer, of course. How high is the Suzuki supposed to rev in each gear?

John in Kalifornia

comp_release.jpg
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 12/12/16 at 18:01:11

Looks great,I'm a street tracker guy too !
Try reducing amount of discs in the supertrapp try 8 discs , wouldn't go any lower than 5 or 6.
Good job get it tuned and ride it!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 12/12/16 at 19:16:33

The torque peaks at about 3500rpm after that power drops off ,so that is probably the area for a normal shift point .The motor redline is 6500rpm but I believe a stock motor won't reach that in 4th or 5th gear due to lack of horsepower.If you measure the stock header pipe I think you'll find it to be in the 30-34inch length ,and this is a tuned length for 650cc motors .your pipe looks much longer and might be a problem in getting it to run right.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/13/16 at 03:40:33

Plug reading is most likely not going to tell you anything about how a bike is tuned....when it doesn't run.

Plug reading cannot be done on a cold engine, and to get accurate results you need to be running the bike at a steady state speed or throttle setting - then turn the ignition off and get it stopped as quickly as possible.  If you slow down and take your time getting the engine turned off - the only thing a plug reading is going to tell you is what the idle mixture is.  However....a horribly black sooty plug will tell you the engine is running rich most of the time, and a black oily plug will tell you that you have a problem with your valve seals or rings.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20Folder/Reading%20Spark%2...

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-spark-plugs.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #10 - 12/13/16 at 04:54:14

John it is cool that you finish it looks good. Hope its gonna get beater after re jet ))

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 12/13/16 at 05:25:53

Looks good.  What tank did you use? Do you have any details/pictures on your mid controls?

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 12/13/16 at 06:23:59

That bike looks awesome! Good job!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/13/16 at 07:54:50

Dave's advise is sound about plug reading. I always use a higher gear such as 4th and drop the rpm's to the lower end of useful and then open up the throttle and let the engine pull into a good strong rpm range and turn off the ignition and pull in the clutch and bring the bike to a stop and then pull the plug for the read. It is best IMO to read the plug in a full load condition but not nessasarily in it's highest rpm mode unless that is where you intend to run it most of the time which I doubt with this bike. It does need to be under a load and not in one of the lower gears. It is a little unhandy to read plugs along side the road but this is the condition that needs to be checked IMO,,,,, good luck

IP Logged
nerdsports
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/13/16 at 10:03:21

We need more pictures!!!! I like the mid control position and tires.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 16:01:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Street Tracker Project finished (sort of)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.