Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to wire up Euro Parking Lamp in Headlight. (Read 108 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
How to wire up Euro Parking Lamp in Headlight.
12/10/16 at 20:31:12

I just got a new headlight and it's a European design. It has the tiny parking lamp bulb in it. How does it get wired in normally?
Seeing as there is no requirement for this lamp in the States should I not even bother with it?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: How to wire up Euro Parking Lamp in Headlight.
Reply #1 - 12/10/16 at 20:54:11

Mike,

You can probably wire it into the parking light circuit if you want it.

Some of us have disconnected the parking light circuit because of turning the switch the wrong direction when parking and killing the battery with the parking lights.

Kenny G

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #2 - 12/10/16 at 22:16:50

kenny g,just how do you disconnect it? i can see a easy add on per the op request but there is NO way to disable  the stock rear lite at least on a 2009 up .i have tried .would love to know your secret

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #3 - 12/10/16 at 23:10:28

Props,

I think Verslagen told me how to do it.

At the ignition switch you can remove the wiring going to the terminal marked " P* ". I think it is marked P*, anyway when you disconnect the wire you disable the parking light feature. From here on out regardless of which way you turn the key from the "ON" position the ignition and lights are off and you can remove the key......

Kenny G

Ignition_Switch_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #4 - 12/10/16 at 23:11:43

Back side of Ignition Switch

Ignition_Switch_3.jpg
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #5 - 12/11/16 at 06:03:55

Worked on a lot of Euro bikes. Many have that little light. For us, the light is worthless, and wastes a few watts of juice. I wouldn't bother to connect it. Doesn't make the headlight any brighter, only wastes juice.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/11/16 at 07:07:55

The little light in the headlight was required for Euro counties where you needed to have marker lights on when you parked.  The front running lights on the Savage do the same thing.  And since your headlight is always on - you will never see that the small light is operational anyhow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/11/16 at 07:15:41

he little light in the headlight was required for Euro counties where you needed to have marker lights on when you parked.

Someone had a brother in law who sold batteries.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 12/11/16 at 07:17:17

Power wise it wouldn't be a waste since I don't have the OEM license plate lamp anymore - my new brake light has that built-in.
But if it isn't going to be seen anyway then it's redundant.

I see that the new headlight appears to not have room inside to stuff all of the wiring inside the original headlight so I'll focus on that problem instead of worrying about the parking lamp. This should prove an interesting challenge.  Tongue

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 12/11/16 at 10:54:17

Can't you just remove the bulb? Problem solved?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #10 - 12/11/16 at 11:53:59

versa was kind enough to work through the wiring on a older post after i destroyed a new battery .it cant be done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/11/16 at 12:06:29

But if it isn't going to be seen anyway then it's redundant.

I'm not a plumber and I wear my pants up, so, nobody's gonna be seeing underwear, but I don't consider them redundant..
They Might BE redundant, IDK..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 12/11/16 at 17:28:06

I appreciate all the help! thanks! I figure I have a few watts left now that license plate lamp is gone to play around with. Maybe I'll come up with a creative use. After all I hate to waste anything I paid money for. FYI former navy electriciansmate with a former career in electronics. I design and build my own music synthesizers for a hobby. Give me a fews watts and I'll run with it if I can and have the time.

Thanks to my other half's Vstar 650 refusing to start today and an unplanned trip to the auto parts store for a charge I ran out of daylight for the headlight install.  Sad

I'll return back in a few days to update this. Weather permitting and assuming some time to kill while there's daylight I may yet tackle this sucker. It looks cool as heck! It is a Highway Hawk
http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=220524
I managed to order it before the price jumped up $100. Got it for $119!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 12/13/16 at 06:55:32

After a bit of thinking and checking stuff out I have a plan for the parking lamp. I'll need to add a double throw relay into the mix.

I want the headlight off but parking lamp on when the kickstand is down. Kickstand up and parking light extinguishes and headlight lights.

Motivation here is to not shine my headlight through the windows of the neighbors across the alley while warming my bike up at night. I see them frequently having to close their blinds and curtains at those times and I'd like to be a better neighbor in regards to my night rides.

There's a switch actuated by the kickstand that cuts off the ignition. I plan to use that switch to also energize the coil of a relay with SPDT contacts. Parking lamp to one side of the throw and headlight to the other.

Anybody see a potential problem with doing this?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/13/16 at 07:21:05

philthymike wrote on 12/13/16 at 06:55:32:
Anybody see a potential problem with doing this?

The only problem I see - is that you should not be warming up your bike while it is leaned over on the kickstand.  It is far better to sit on the bike, bring it up level, pull up the kickstand, start the bike and let it run for about 30 seconds while you use your throttle hand to keep the idle up about 2,000 rpm - then ride off slowly.  You can use the choke if necessary - then turn off the choke as the bike warms up.

Below is a link that discusses the cam damage that can occur with the low idle speed and the bike leaned over on the side stand.  The low idle speed does not provide good oil flow, and the leaned over bike seems to starve the uphill cam lobe and rocker for oil.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447331708

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:39:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to wire up Euro Parking Lamp in Headlight.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.