Paint Matching (Read 159 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Paint Matching
11/29/16 at 21:10:31

I have searched to no avail and I need to match the cream color paint on my 2013 S40.

I found a Kawasaki fender as Dave suggested and I want to paint it to match the cream color on the fuel tank.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Paint Matching
Reply #1 - 11/29/16 at 21:20:14

http://www.colorrite.com/

Motorcycle :: 2013 :: Suzuki :: Boulevard S40
Click on a part number below to select a product to see available options.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Some colors require a base color to create a special color effect. This is called a "TriCoat" which is Base + Top + Clearcoat. If your color is a TriCoat, the base color will be listed below under "ColorRite Base" and you will need to order both the Top and Base listed. We always recommend clearcoat for the proper match and maximum protection.
Code        Paint Name        Comment      Color Chip      ColorRite Top      ColorRite Base
YPA        Pearl Mirage White        White/Silver Model                 4916         1916
YUE        Metallic Veil Silver        White/Silver Model                 4985          
YUK        Metallic Fox Orange        Orange/Black Model                 4967          
YVB        GL. Sparkle Black        Orange/Black Model                 4999        

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #2 - 11/29/16 at 21:48:21

Verslagen,

Thank you very much.

I don't think I can afford ColorRite.

Are the numbers that ColorRite lists something that I can take to a paint and body shop supply store and have them mix?

The Krylon that I used to paint the back side of my fly screen is fairly close, but I was really hoping to do the job right. The cost of a couple of pints of paint from ColorRite is out of this world.

It has been over 10 years since I purchased automotive paint and I cannot remember if they have a chart that I can chose a color from.

Kenny G

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 11/30/16 at 12:36:53

If you take your bike or a painted part to your paint and panel supplier, if they're any good they can do a perfect colour match by eye, on the spot. Mine can, anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/30/16 at 12:52:41

gizzo wrote on 11/30/16 at 12:36:53:
If you take your bike or a painted part to your paint and panel supplier, if they're any good they can do a perfect colour match by eye, on the spot. Mine can, anyway.

The tough part about matching some of the Savage paints by eye or even with a computer color match system....is that some of the colors have a very subtle flake to them.  On the 2002 bike I had that looked black - there was blue colored sparkles when the bike was in direct sunlight.  The white on my 2007 had pearl in it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #5 - 11/30/16 at 13:08:49

My local automotive paint supplier only needed the 3 letter code (YUK) to mix some paint for my bike  (fox orange).

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/30/16 at 14:25:30

Every time I Mix paint I get YUK..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #7 - 11/30/16 at 17:53:57

I took my fender to my buddy A J at The Chop Shop in Keller, TX this morning. He has an Ivory Color Powder for powder coating that is very close to the Pearl Mirage White on my 2013 S40 fuel tank.

He welded the 6 holes shut that were used to mount the fender on a Kawasaki and bead blasted 2 small dents for me. I will use lead to fill the dents, drill new holes for mounting, and return the fender to him for powder coating.

A J will do this for less than half the price of a half pint of ColorRite for the Pearl Mirage White.  I need 2 different ColorRite paints to get a perfect match and clear coat which would cost me $179.80 +freight.

I tried to have the yellow color matched here in North Texas for my Blast, and the body shop paint and supply wholesaler wanted a $100.00 +tax. I sent the fly screen from the Blast back to Pennsylvania to the guy that mixed paint for me when I was painting McMillan Fiberglass Stocks. I got a half pint of paint in the mail and a bill for $30.00, no tax and no freight. The match is perfection.

I cannot easily send my fuel tank back to Pennsylvania for a color match so I did the next best thing, found someone that I know does beautiful work and is reasonably priced.

If the powder coat color does not turn out quite right, we can order additional colors of powder for $10.00 to $18.00 per color and go right over the  powder coating 3 more times before we would have to strip it and start over.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 12/08/16 at 17:45:58 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #8 - 12/03/16 at 09:36:39

Dave or Anyone,

I am trying to fit the front Kawasaki fender to my S40 and cannot find Dave & others post about the Kawasaki front fender.

Before I bend the mounting ears I have a question or 2.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/03/16 at 09:52:04

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/03/16 at 10:14:40

bead blasted 2 small dents for me. I will use lead to fill the dents,

If they're small enough and the metal isnt stretched too much, AND You have a hammer and dolly, with a patient approach, you might work the dents and be abl to file away any work marks.
Dents always have a high spot around somewhere,
A thin cloth between hand and dent can help analyze the shape,
A fluorescent lamp will expose high and low spots while its still painted and shiny.
After you've spent time on it you can spray , just freckle it, with black paint and use a sanding block to expose low spots, and high spots,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #11 - 12/03/16 at 11:38:17

Verslagen,

Thank you.

Justin,

I know for sure the two dents are small enough to easily hammer out, but I don't have the tools. I do have some 60/40 rosin core solder to tin the area and a bar of body lead. I fashioned a lead paddle out of a piece of a hickory handle that broke off one of my wife's garden tools.

When I moved to Texas 10 years ago I never thought that I would ride again. That was the most serious mistake of my life and to top it off I gave away almost all of my tools. I was 68 years old and never owned a bike with an electric starter and was having trouble with my legs. I thought the heat and wind would keep me out of the saddle. I was like a fish out of water, lo and behold the cycle shop near my home had a really nice 1998 Yamaha V-Star and cheap. After installing a Clever Lever I could ride the darned thing.

The real serious spending began; I had no helmet, gloves, boots, leathers or tools. And then I had to make a gantry to pickup a bike, and a stand to hold the bike steady so I could work on it without it falling on me.

The question that I will post here and in Dave's post is: The ears to mount the Kawasaki fender are somewhat wider than the S40 ears. Can a sheet metal guy make the 2 bends on each ear to be easily able to slide it into position? You can see I have a clamp squeezing the fender together to be able to slide the fender between the fork legs. I don't want to risk scratching the fender after I get it powder coated? I know my hands are not strong enough to squeeze the fender between the forks and get the bolts started.

Kenny G Undecided
« Last Edit: 12/03/16 at 13:16:39 by Kenny G »  

IMG_0679.JPG
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 12/03/16 at 13:17:56

Now that the fender is mounted I don't think I like the style of the fender.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 12/05/16 at 04:50:06

What don't you like about the size/shape?

You may not want fender advice from me any more - but the fender from a Honda CB250 also looks promising.  The width is good, the mounts on the side need to be cut down smaller and a new mounting surface welded in between the uprights, and the mount for the speedometer drive and brake line can be welded up if you don't want to use the rubber guide.  The shape fits the tire well.....and the brackets for the reflectors have to be removed by cutting the spot welds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-93-Honda-CB250SC-CB-250-SC-Nighthawk-front-fende...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #14 - 12/05/16 at 06:41:23

Dave,

Nothing wrong with your advice.

The shape of the front end of the fender is tapered, and more streamlined looking than the front end of the Savage/S40  fender. I am going to see if my friend A J can nip the end off the fender and roll the edge. He has all kind of sheet metal equipment, in fact enough equipment to build a gas tank from scratch.

Incidentally, I was able to make the bends on the mounting tabs as you suggested. I am a little dangerous with a hammer so I used a series of  wood blocks and clamps to do the bends.

I had to elongate 2 of the new mounting holes as the fender sat too high at the front with the new holes copied from the Savage/S40 mounting tabs.

One picture attached.

Kenny G

IMG_0688.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint Matching

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!