Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Think'n and Drink'n again ..... (Read 374 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Think'n and Drink'n again .....
11/17/16 at 21:27:17

MM wants to take longer and longer trips, and having done so he is putting a bigger tank on his Savage.

And I agree, 2.5 gallons total capacity has always been an issue when floggin' it on down the big miles at high speed (especially when pushing a big gas killing windscreen) so irracible 'ol Yoda and I are working on an adder tank for the Savage.   A small one, inexpensive low rent style.   Gravity fed, since that is how the Savage works.

This is all happening as we speak, slowly, as the cheap China Post bits and pieces trickle in.

Think'n and Drink'n has begun all over again, slurping coffee and cogitating on this new Barcalounger bike.   It too has a sub 3 gallon gas tank.    It also has "pretty" requirements that the old Savage does not have, so I've got to be clever on this one, not crude.   Results must add beauty, not take it away.

It also has a 3-6 psi fuel pump .....

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Think'n and Drink'n again .....
Reply #1 - 11/18/16 at 12:39:41

Bags are here, and Jafum was VERY VERY optimistic in their measurements --- original concept will not work out, but new dual containers are on order, balanced with one container per side, giving much better balance, having the same gas capacity and giving roughly the same space for carrying other stuff.

« Last Edit: 11/18/16 at 16:58:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 11/18/16 at 13:24:14

It's definitely way easier to mod a different tank to fit the Savage than it is to make one fit the Intruder 700/750/800.

I looked into it when I had a VS750 and since the tank mounts with a U shaped mount on top of the frame, there is no easy way to mount a different tank on it.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 11/18/16 at 16:26:19

Because of the Jedi training I have gotten, I simply looked to the Force to show me the relationship between hidden gas jugs, fuel pumps, and really big saddlebags.

I carry a lot of junk in the small saddle bags that are on my Savage right now, and my junk includes a gallon jug of gas for when it is just too too far to the next gas station.  

This IS something that occurs regularly up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and we did get bit once on an aborted trip to the top of Mount Pisgah as I can get some really rotten gas mileage on my Savage due to several very good reasons, with my overactive right wrist being just one of them.

Run this thought along for size, expand the size of the gas jug from one to 2.5 gallons, then putting in a 2.5 gallon jug into each of the very large right and left saddlebags.    

(actually leaving more empty room still left in each bag than my current saddle bags even have in total)

.... and also tossing in some jug based fuel filters, manual shut offs and a hand pump bulb that is used for evacuating the trapped air from the ups and the downs of the gas lines that are integral in this sort of low mounted system  ---  air evacuating that will have to be done at each full fill up, BTW  ---  then you have a fuel pump suction drawn fuel system by which I can draw on 5 gallons of gas hidden in the saddle bags using the 3-6 psi fuel pump that comes stock with the Intruder and only using the 2.5 gallons in the gravity fed gas tank as my primary reserve (and a secondary 20 mile reserve should I actually run it all down that low).

7.5 gallons of long running trip gas ....   and that is with still having the 20 mile reserve built into the normal gas tank.   300-350 miles on the full rig up, which not too shabby for $60 invested in jugs and fuel line and misc hardware.

..... at a materials cost of less than a third of what MM is paying for his new, unpainted, "will need a lot of modifications" steel gas tank all by itself.

Plus, if I want to be all nimble when I get there and I decide I don't want to be swinging around the roughly 50 extra pounds of "totally filled up" gasoline, well then I can just fill up the top regular tank and shut off the empty bag jugs after I suck them dry (or I can take out the jugs and use the funnel by hand if that is what is needed)

And, if you are with me and you run dry on a long stretch I can take out the funnel and one of my gas jugs and pour some gas into your tank so we can all make it on down the road to the next gas station .....

Wink

« Last Edit: 11/18/16 at 21:29:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 11/19/16 at 22:30:17

Yea ...  Huh

There are some places in Louisiana where its 60-70 miles between fuel stations ... so if ya have 100 mile range ya have to stop at every one of them  Embarrassed Embarrassed : Embarrassed    thats a lot of stop-en !

so

what's a feller to do ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/20/16 at 06:24:31

Amusing thought, since I have a fuel pump I could rig up a little 1/4" rubber filling hose and pump the gas over into your tank -- but that would just take forever.

Big jug, funnel ....  quick and messy.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/20/16 at 07:52:03

@MMRanch...

Could be worse...say, I-80 in Wyoming west of Rawlins. There's whole lotsa Nuthin' out there.

Years ago, when traveling on my CM450, had a bad moment in Nevada...hit reserve earlier than expected, & it was about 30 miles to a town either way.  Slowed waaayyyy down, nursing it along, and she started sputtering within sight of a gas station. Did some low speed swerves back & forth to slosh down whatever gas was left. Had to push the last 50 feet or so. Ever since, I've erred on the side of caution...lol.

P.S. @ Oldfeller...off topic, but was curious about how the high mileage rebuild is going...?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 11/20/16 at 14:45:14

Tank bag with a fuel blatter ?   I'm carrying extra in both saddle-bags now (balanced).  

I'll give the 4.75 gal. tank a go after Christmas.   (w/pictures)

Dreaming   Roll Eyes 300 mile range .  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/20/16 at 17:17:18

I have fuel storage for the backhoe. A fuel pump for a fuel injection system and some wiring and hose,,  I've used it on gasoline, too..
A small enough diameter to fit into the fuel jug won't be easy, but, doesn't HAFTA be expensive.
A pump that has to be replaced because it's not strong enough to maintain injection pressure will still transfer the fuel.
That's how I got the ones I have.

Mechanics replace them every day...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/21/16 at 02:43:03

I would most likely just install a sold state fuel pump to transfer the fuel from the saddlebags to the main tank.  You would plumb the left/right saddlebag tanks together, then run the line to the fuel pump, and then T the fuel line just below the tank/petcock.  The solid state fuel pump has a check valve inside, so no fuel should flow from the higher tank to the saddlebag tanks.  When your main tank is running low - you would just switch on the new fuel pump and transfer fuel to the main tank.  The amount of current required is very low for the sold state fuel pump, and the only thing you need to remember is to shut it off when you have moved enough fuel.....there would not be any auto shut off.

Here is the "standard" for the sold state pumps....you might be able to find a copy that is less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/FACET-SOLID-CARBURETED-ENGINES-GG42034103/dp/B013SG7M9E

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
~
Reply #10 - 11/21/16 at 07:00:53

https://www.amazon.com/MOSTPLUS-Electric-Motorcycle-Pressure-Carburetor/dp/B0...

I hope not to need that second fuel pump, that the actual lift required is minimal (although there will be potential for air entrapment in the ups and downs.    

This generic pump for $13 is very similar to what is on the bike now, so it gets you the general idea.   3-6 PSI at ~20~ gallons an hour at zero lift (lesser flow and lesser pressure at higher lifts of course).   My theoretical thought is that if I purge the suction air and get solid fuel into the lines so that the suction based system can work at maximum, then I am golden as far as getting it to the carburetors.

I also have a somewhat verified thought that the fuel pump on the bike now can suck on and pass some air through the system, as I have seen it work in that fashion (no gas in tank, previous owner and all).

Intentionally permitted gravity based back flow from the bike's gas tank to the bag jugs could also be used to purge the air from the lines .....  so I got several means to do the job so I mebbe I won't put in the pump bulb until I find that I really need it.

81cCOrev8FL__SL1500_.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/21/16 at 07:27:03

Here's the jug .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/21/16 at 07:35:35

The cat is a full sized female, so you get the idea -- Big Bags.

IMG_20161121_103502.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/23/16 at 08:50:55

OK, so this is how you add a 1/8" thickener plywood backing to the bag, so you can hard mount it to the frame.

The clamping method is sorta a "bullet caster" methodology ..... but it holds it together firmly with no relaxing for the full 24 hour curing period.

The construction adhesive stuff is the premium, 3x stronger  variety -- the good stuff.

IMG_20161123_114459.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 11/23/16 at 08:51:48

Once the lead comes out ......

IMG_20161123_114505.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 17:19:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Think'n and Drink'n again .....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.