Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Narrowing the stock belt? (Read 872 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Narrowing the stock belt?
Reply #15 - 11/26/16 at 13:53:18

Armen
I guess you reversed the pulley so that your new retaining ring is now on the outside?

Norman.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #16 - 11/26/16 at 14:59:56

Nope. Machined off the outer ring and part of the pulley so that the belt will still run tight to the inside, but be narrower.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #17 - 11/29/16 at 17:38:50

Norm,
Latest version of the truth: I decided to narrow the rear pulley to 1". At that width, the offset is the same on both sides. Since I wiped off the outer, stronger cast side, I am going to flip the pulley around and use the bolted-on steel ring as the outboard retaining ring. Then I'll make a thinner inner ring.
Gaining over 1/2" from doing this. Hoping that along with the shocks from Chris Livengood, which seem to be a bit narrower at the bottom than the RYCA ones, I may be able to center the shock over the lower eyelet rather than running it alongside as it is stock.
Next step is to mangle the front Kawi pulley and send the belt off to be narrowed.

Pulleys.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 11/29/16 at 17:59:48

I'm surprised you don't just drill holes in it and tear it on the dotted line.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #19 - 12/13/16 at 19:12:28

So, the flog continues. I narrowed both pulleys to 1" wide. Made a new outer ring for the front pulley. Flopped the rear one over, so the OEM steel inner ring is now outboard. Might not bother to run an inner retaining ring on the rear pulley.
Rear pulley lost about a pound. The front one about 1/4 lb less than stock, 3/4 lb less than a stock Kawi pulley.
This allowed me to move the left shock inboard. Chopped over an inch off the top shock mount/protrusion/thingy sticking out of the frame. Drilled into the upper mounting stud with an 8.5mm bit, then tapped the hole to 10x1.5mm. Now the top of the shock mounts on a 10mm bolt, which is threaded into the frame.
On the bottom, I 'm using a clevis on the  left shock bottom, and an eye on the right shock bottom. OEM, the left shock sits out further than the right one, so moving it inboard, and leaving the right one as is, makes the shocks look symmetrical. While I was at it I drilled the lower right shock mount out and tapped it to 8x1.25, so now a bolt holds the shock onto the lower shock mount.
On the lower left, I chopped up the clevis supplied by Chris at Livengood and widened it to clear the lower mount.
The problem with the clevis mounts, is that they add about 15mm to the length of the shock. Even with the clevis threaded all the way in, the eyelet mount on the right side I barely engaged into the bottom of the shock.
It's all dummied up now, but I'll have to modify a clevis mount for the left shock so that the right shock will have enough thread engagement when the shocks are set to the same length.
As of now, the left shock with the clevis is about 13 3/8" I'd like to shorten that a bit.
Talked to the guy chopping the belt It should be done within a week. Using a straightedge, it looks life the belt (cut to 1" wide) will clear the shock.
Just bolts on!

New_shock_setup.jpg

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/14/16 at 06:07:00

Going the extra mile there Armen!  It looks good.  A lot of work, but it looks good.  I'm not sure I like the not matching lower mounts on the shocks, but I like the narrowed rear end.

"Might not bother to run an inner retaining ring on the rear pulley."   This, I DO NOT recommend!  I threw a chain once when I was still racing motocross and it's no fun having your rear wheel lock up at speed.  And I was on dirt.  Just not worth the risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWjwHgveY

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #21 - 12/14/16 at 07:24:37

The non-matching lowers were the only way to have the shocks with the same offset. If I do the same lower mount style on both, the right shock will be inboard. Unless I do some really wacky lower mount.
I thought about the shoulder or the belt.
Looked at the rear pulley on my bud's F800 BMW. No inner guard. Early Ducs had inner and outer guides on the cam belt pulleys. Later ones deleted the outer guide on the top pulley.
I did drill and tap the inner edge of the rear pulley. I i find a big piece of thin aluminum scrap, I'll prob make one.
Next problem is that the clevis is longer than the eyelet mount. Right now the eyelet on the lower right is only engaged  by a few threads into the shock. Have to make a new (shorter) eyelet for the lower left so that I can make the right shock shorter.
Just bolts on!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 12/14/16 at 07:43:18

I believe Harley rear pulleys only have a shoulder on one side.....I wonder if the pulley is machined with a very slight angle to the teeth - so that the belt will not slide off the open side?

(The belt rides on the top of the teeth - the belt teeth do not bottom out in grooves).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/14/16 at 08:45:50

I hear you on the limited shock mounting options.  I might prefer putting the U on the left side of the swingarm but maybe I wouldn't like that either.  No big deal either way.  And I don't hate it either.  Hell, even if I did, it's your bike.  (Plus I wouldn't even comment if I did hate it!)

Someone got paid a lot of money to make sure the belt on your bud's F800 won't fall off!

It shouldn't be hard to adjust the belt so that it wants to hold the outside of the pulley.  My worries would be if the wheel adjusters came loose and the wheel were to slip or what might happen to the belt as the swingarm travels through it's arc.  Sure these are unlikely problems, but you already have a slightly loose belt and I doubt your chainline is perfect (mine isn't even close), etc.

I just don't want you getting slammed to the ground there bud! It's not fun. Smiley  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 12/14/16 at 08:53:34

Plus I'm excited to see your build.  You've teased us enough that I'm anticipating greatness. Smiley  So don't go getting hurt before posting pictures and a detailed build!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #25 - 12/14/16 at 17:22:07

Three front pulleys. The stock Suzi-Q one, the +2 teeth Kawi one modified to fit the Savage, and a Kawi pulley narrowed to 1" and modified to fit the Savage.
Stock Suzi-Q is 2.2 lbs, stock Kawi is 2.6 lbs, modified and narrowed Kawi is 1.9 lbs.
Changed the socket head Allens to stainless button head Allens. A little nicer.
Rear pulley is approx 1 lb lighter than stock.
Haven't weighed the belt, but it'll be 2/3 the weight of stock (cutting it down from 1.5" to 1").

3_pulleys.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 12/15/16 at 10:18:01

Very nice work
If I get rid of the dual purpose tires & get some light weight street tires & some of those super thin transparent inner tubes made by Trojan might be able to get tracker weight down to 305 lbs !!! Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #27 - 12/15/16 at 16:22:47

Ruttly,
Goal is as close to 300 lbs and 40 HP  Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 12/15/16 at 19:42:02

Armen you can get it done,if anyone can you can,just don't fill that gas tank before you weigh it. 40 H/P is easily obtainable !  I would bet mine is closer to 45, 50 would make me proud. My next savage engine will hit 50
H/P. Very close to final tune and off to see Dr. Dyno in Febuary. Seat & paint don't really concern me at this point , a killer dyno run does !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #29 - 12/16/16 at 02:25:51

If what I've read is correct, the stock wet weight is around 380 lbs. RYCA says their kits get you down in the 320 range. With an aluminum tank and a bunch of other lighter bits, I think 300 wet is possible.
In it's present incarnation, it'll be a stock top end with a Lancer bumpstick, Mikuni RS40, RYCA muffler, etc. Next go round it'll be a high compression 695 with a fondled head. By that point, 40 HP sounds pretty attainable.
We'll see.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Narrowing the stock belt?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.