Send Topic Print
Tire and Tube Question (Read 247 times)
whoisrawb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tire and Tube Question
11/07/16 at 09:34:30

Hello All, I just ordered replacement Tires for my 650 i ended up with metzeler 888 ultra marathons 100-90-19 for the front and 140-80-15 for the rear.

For Inner Tubes I found
Inner Tube for 100/90-19 Tire | Part #ZZ21720
For the Front

Now for the questions.....I am having a hard time finding the rear size...i found one : Color - PV-78
Size - 140/90-15
Sku #305639

Will this work even thought its 140/90 not 140/80 ....sorry to be a total newb but appreciate the input

Thanks Yall

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Tire and Tube Question
Reply #1 - 11/07/16 at 09:59:18

The short answer is, yes it will work.

The long answer is just a few posts down on this page: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1478216078

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/07/16 at 10:26:32

The people at Revzilla were comfortable selling the 140/90/15
tube to be installed in the 140/80/15 Metzler . The guy at the Suzuki shop was comfortable with it, too.
Don't forget about the rim strips... I did, and it's not cheap at the dealership..
And if you're wanting to balance the tires with the beads, get them now, with the tires, tubes, and get free shipping.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #3 - 11/25/16 at 19:54:56

these balancing beads are fascinating. I've never heard of them before.  Do you use these completely instead of spoke weights?

I am still riding on my original 2001 IRC tires, 3400 miles.  It's been 100% garaged and I only see one crack in the tread, rubber feels good, but I know that I'm tempting fate.  Up to now I've stalled on getting them replaced because when I called 2 shops around here for service, they did not even ask what tires I wanted, just spit out a price - weird,  gives me a bad feeling about having them do the work.  They're the only nearby shops.

I'm debating mounting my own tires.  I have some tools and a lift, but no bead breaker.   I've done bicycle tires, nothing bigger.  

1. Should I be able to get the tire off with 2-3 irons and some rubber/cut garden hose to protect the rims?  I am thinking I'd use a big wooden handscrew clamp to break the bead.  I'll buy the cheap Harbor Freight breaker if the clamp doesn't work.  Maybe a compressor too.

2. Can I balance tires myself on the bike?  I've never added weights before.

EDITTED LATER - now I see a bunch of motorcycle tire tools on Amazon, balancing beads too - I'm gonna just do it.  Thanks for the comment below - it is reassuring.

« Last Edit: 11/25/16 at 22:19:39 by ero4444 »  

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 11/25/16 at 20:30:33

You don't really have to break the bead as such since these aren't tubeless tires, it is pretty easy to push down to the drop center.  A couple tire irons and something to protect the rim and you're golden.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 11/26/16 at 05:06:00

ero4444 wrote on 11/25/16 at 19:54:56:
I'm debating mounting my own tires.  I have some tools and a lift, but no bead breaker.   I've done bicycle tires, nothing bigger.  

1. Should I be able to get the tire off with 2-3 irons and some rubber/cut garden hose to protect the rims?  I am thinking I'd use a big wooden handscrew clamp to break the bead.  I'll buy the cheap Harbor Freight breaker if the clamp doesn't work.  Maybe a compressor too.

2. Can I balance tires myself on the bike?  I've never added weights before.

EDITTED LATER - now I see a bunch of motorcycle tire tools on Amazon, balancing beads too - I'm gonna just do it.  Thanks for the comment below - it is reassuring.

Maybe I can add my 2 cents worth.  NEVER use screwdrivers as tire tools!

For a bead breaker when doing my own tires, I use a fairly good size "C" clamp and a few pieces of wood (1/2" thick plywood to spread out the pressure) and squeeze tire together (on the bike at first to hold wheel) until beads break down off rim in a single place - usually tire will then release from all around.

To help with making sure that you don't mar the wheel, you can purchase some tire changing protectors (plastic) but a friend showed me a cheaper way:   use some plastic from a gallon jug - best is the thick type of jug like on a Prestone anti-freeze jug.  Works great!

My son used the balancing beads and personally I didn't like them.  I went for the stick on 1/4 oz. weights.

I have found that you need about 3 hands and about 4 tools to get tire to go over rim at first - after that, it is easy to pull the rest by hand.  When installing new one, be sure to put only one side on first, then the tube, and then the second side - this is where it is easy to pinch a hole in the tube.  Be careful!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 11/26/16 at 07:38:31

JUST A LITTLE HEADS UP,the tires have a red or yellow dot on the sidewall ,this is the lighter side of the tire and should be lined up with the valve stem,( the heavy side of the tube).After you insert the new tube you can slightly inflate it, just enough to make it rounded this may help to keep it back from the rim when putting on the final bead.I often use large screwdrivers as tire irons they provide better leverage and the handles a better gripe,BUT  I do take a grinder ,and radius the tips and remove any sharp edges.I use 6" c clamps as   bead breakers, they also are used on my car/truck to push the wheel brake cylinder back to make room for new disk pads.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 11/27/16 at 07:02:24

Steve H wrote on 11/25/16 at 20:30:33:
You don't really have to break the bead as such since these aren't tubeless tires, it is pretty easy to push down to the drop center.  A couple tire irons and something to protect the rim and you're golden.

Just an add on:  Some M/C tire irons are pretty much straight but with a "duckbill" on the end and these are great, however, some are sold with a bit of a "dip" just above the flat "duckbill" that provides a help when rotating over the rim.  Helps keep the tire iron from slipping up and out - making things more frustrating.  If you can get this type of tire iron, maybe a little more expensive, it will pay for itself in frustration and in the middle of a tire change, eliminating frustration is worth a bunch!!  Believe me, been there, done that!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #8 - 11/27/16 at 10:38:25

I get you on the tire dots...  

I've read about Metzler 880 for years and figured that is the way to go - of course now they are discontinued - do they even make 880 for front?  The 888 seems to be harder compound and worse rain performance.  What's the next best for Savage, for a stickier tire?

I'm a low-miler and I don't mind paying up for a stickier tire with lower life.  Might just scrounge the last 880's but I don't really want to get them from Ebay.   Leaning to Shinko now, bargain pricing doesn't hurt.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/27/16 at 10:45:59

I have had the Shinkos on my S40 for over a thousand miles and they are holding the road very well. I admit that I have not yet been in the rain with them. I have been in all kinds of temperatures, ranging from 34 degrees to 106 degrees.

I do check the tire pressure before every ride.

Kenny G

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #10 - 12/04/16 at 15:55:10

Got Shinko 712's from Bikebandit..  I did the front tire and got it BACKWARDS.  Too tired to fix it yet.  Wore out my arms, two tire irons is not enough. It's kinda fun but sheesh - so outta shape.

I used "Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker" - a pair of fork + spoon-like levers that can scissor the tire out the bead and the other ends are decent tire irons with smooth bend end.  Need one more iron.

Decided to use tire balancing and sealant liquid, instead of the beads.

EDITTED LATER - had some ice cream and got a burst of energy. Man, that felt good and I got the wheel turning the right way on the bike.   Looks like I need new pads and brake cleaning too .

« Last Edit: 12/05/16 at 02:32:40 by ero4444 »  

IP Logged
MadSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #11 - 05/26/19 at 00:44:48

ero4444 wrote on 12/04/16 at 15:55:10:
Got Shinko 712's from Bikebandit..  I did the front tire and got it BACKWARDS.  Too tired to fix it yet.  Wore out my arms, two tire irons is not enough. It's kinda fun but sheesh - so outta shape.

I used "Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker" - a pair of fork + spoon-like levers that can scissor the tire out the bead and the other ends are decent tire irons with smooth bend end.  Need one more iron.

Decided to use tire balancing and sealant liquid, instead of the beads.

EDITTED LATER - had some ice cream and got a burst of energy. Man, that felt good and I got the wheel turning the right way on the bike.   Looks like I need new pads and brake cleaning too .

I know this is an old post but us newbie savages scavenge this site. You mentioned the bead balancing and sealant liquid. From what I read you are staying with tubed tires. It is my understanding that you can not use balancing beads with a tubed tire. Has anyone have a successful experience? How has the balancing/sealant liquid worked out (if used with a tubed tire)?
Thank you

'02|9k miles|

MODS: ... To be announced

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/26/19 at 03:18:36

You can use Dyna Beads in a tube...or tubeless.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MadSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago
Reply #13 - 05/28/19 at 23:11:38

Thank you for the quick response Dave. I went back to the article I read and indeed there were a lot of reaction to the "no beads with tubed tire" information. Unfortunately I can not find the page I was on previously, the main tire discussion page where the list of best tires for the Savage was posted. I ordered a set of the shinko 230 tour master to replace my rock hard tires. The rear is a 2018, ok. But the front is a 2017, two years old (can't remember the month right now) knowing that it's said bike tires shouldn't be older than 5 years old, is it normal or should I return it?

'02|9k miles|

MODS: ... To be announced

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/29/19 at 03:26:53

MadSavage wrote on 05/28/19 at 23:11:38:
The rear is a 2018, ok. But the front is a 2017, two years old (can't remember the month right now) knowing that it's said bike tires shouldn't be older than 5 years old, is it normal or should I return it?

I really like the Shinko 230 tires on the Savage - good choice! Wink

Is it normal to get a tire that is 2 years past the manufacture date?....unfortunately it does occur.  My 2010 Honda NT700 had a factory rear tire that was dated 2008 - so even the factory will mount a 2 year old tire on a new bike.

If you bought your tire from an online retailer - they likely had the tire shipped from a "warehouse" that was close to you, and they have no idea how old the tire was they shipped to you (and the warehouse employee are probably rotating stock and shipping older tires first.

Since you will likely wear out two rear tires for each front tire - your front tire is likely going to be on the bike for a long time and will likely last for 10,000 - 15,000 miles..........unless you ride enough to wear this tire out in 3 years - I would suggest you contact the seller and request a newer tire.

When I ordered tires for my ST1100 from Bike Bandit the front and rear tire came from different warehouses (rear tire was a common size the front is a bit less common) and the front tire was 4 years old when it arrived.  I contacted Bike Bandit and they had a newer front tire shipped from a different warehouse, and they sent me a shipping tag and arranged for the "old new" tire to be picked up at their cost.

I used Dyna beads in a tubed tire before I made a rig to balance my tires, and they seemed to work fine.  If you are going to mount your tires yourself and don't have any way to balance.....I guess it is fine to use them.  One reason I stopped using them is that sometimes when you mount a tire.....it is badly out of balance and I like to let the air out and rotate the tire on the rim to see if I can use less weights.  (Tires often have a spot on the sidewall that is the lightest part of the tire and it is mounted in alignment with the valve stem - but on a spoked wheel the heavy spot is not always at the valve stem).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire and Tube Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.