Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First time cleaning carbs, what else? (Read 306 times)
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First time cleaning carbs, what else?
10/27/16 at 17:38:20

Hi, I have a 2003 LS650, no mods. I got the bike a year ago used. And it has been working on and off. The only maintenance I've done is change of oil and air filter. I got it to the shop for new tires. That's about it. The bike is very picky starting. One day no problem, next day it won't start. Pushing the power button I can hear the battery and sometimes the engine starts revving but it dies in less than a second. Sometimes the engine does not rev at all... I leave, come later in the day and it starts at the first try... or it used... now it is not starting again.

So, I finally decided learning to do some more maintenace myself. I removed the seat and the tank (ok... not very impresive... but for a first timer, very exciting)... now I'm going to take the battery out and the spark plug... since it's open, why not? and the carbs, and then I'll proceed to clean the carbs.

Aside from replacing the battery and the spark plug (any recommendations on what to use as replacement) I'm going to install a battery tender. Any other suggestions on what should I do since it is already open? Remember that I am a newbie Cheesy, and that I don't have shop or garage with fancy tools Cheesy

Thanks!!!!

Looking forward learning from everyone in this forum.

20160701_125328.jpg
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Re: First time cleaning carbs, what else?
Reply #1 - 10/27/16 at 17:46:08

Welcome aboard! If you put where you're from there might be a member close enough to give you a little help. Does your bike already have the Raptor petcock? (If it does, it says On - Off - Res. No PRI on the Raptor) If it has the original petcock, I would start there before messing with the carb.

Good luck,
Ken

IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/27/16 at 18:13:49

Thanks Ken, that's a good idea, I'm in Alexandria/Springfield, VA.

I think I have the stock petcock (on,res,pri).

You are saying replace the petcock and not touch the carbs yet? reassemble the tank and seat, and see if the bike would start better?

I guess I can try that, Yamaha raptor 660 petcock, correct? And what do you use to "block off the vacuum tap on the carb"

Thanks!!

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #3 - 10/27/16 at 18:33:19

I bought a 5 pack of rubber plugs at Autozone to cover the vacuum tap. They don't seem to last very long, though. Maybe a year and they're cracked and ready to fall off. I'll probably have to replace it with a short piece of vacuum line plugged with a small bolt when I use up all of these.

When that stock petcock goes bad, and they often do, it can cause all sorts of weird problems. A lot of people on here swap them out even if the stock one is still good, including me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/27/16 at 22:55:23

Road grime lands down in the cavity the spark plug is in.
Check/ clean out before pulling the plug.

My 05 would Not start if I twisted the gas.
The 02doesn't mind if I do.
The 05, first start of the day, even if it was August and
110 degrees, gonna need the choke.
The 02, Gary told me when I bought it,
Choke it and it Will Not start.
50 degrees, fires right up.

Before you go digging into it, spend more time messing with it.
Be sure the battery is charged and healthy.
A flaky battery can spin it over, but the spark plug might not fire.

If you don't know how old the battery is, what kind it is, then start there.

Either take it to be tested or check the voltage, and check it while you're pushing the Start button, too.

If it's old and a lead/acid type, it might be low on water..

If I don't Know the medical history of a battery in a bike without a kickstarter , I would have it tested, if it's an expensive, nice battery.
It's just a cheap one,I'd get it tested to see if it's a likely source of my problem, but even if it's Okay, I'd replace it and get a darn good battery on it.
Gary put a cheap one on the one I got, but it's new and has a year warranty,, I plan on putting a good one in before Spring.

If you're putting it in gear with the sidestand down, it will die.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/28/16 at 04:26:13

Thanks Justin, that's why I thought it would be a good idea to change the battery and the spark plug anyway. Make sure those are not part of the problem.

One more question, does the factory petcock have a filter? when you replace it for the raptor, do you add a filter?

Thanks!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/28/16 at 05:20:26

marccarrion wrote on 10/28/16 at 04:26:13:
One more question, does the factory petcock have a filter? when you replace it for the raptor, do you add a filter?

Thanks!!

The factory petcock and raptor both have screens on the topside that goes into the fuel tank.  The carb also have a screen on the top side of the seat for the float needle.  I don't run an additional filter, and some who have added filters ended up causing problems as the small inlet/outlet fittings can "air-lock" in this gravity fuel system and prevent fuel flow.  (Some members do run an additional filter without any problems....make sure you don't get one with small 1/4" fittings).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 10/28/16 at 05:33:23

marccarrion wrote on 10/27/16 at 17:38:20:
The bike is very picky starting. One day no problem, next day it won't start. Pushing the power button I can hear the battery and sometimes the engine starts revving but it dies in less than a second. Sometimes the engine does not rev at all... I leave, come later in the day and it starts at the first try... or it used... now it is not starting again.

Make sure you are using full choke when starting a cold engine. Also, don't touch the throttle until the engine is running, and even then it's not necessary until you remove the choke circuit (which should stay on for 15-60 seconds depending on temperature).

marccarrion wrote on 10/27/16 at 17:38:20:
and the carbs, and then I'll proceed to clean the carbs.

There is only one, so "carb" will do.

The advice given about changing the petcock to a Raptor unit is good advice. The OEM unit fails. If the bike sat for a long period without being ridden prior to your purchase, there is a good chance that the carb needs to be cleaned. The screws that hold the float bowl and slide cap can be difficult to remove because they aren't actually phillips heads (even though they look like they are). You can buy and use a JIS screwdriver, but here is my suggestion; Use a long (12" or longer) screw driver that is in good shape, and use a lot of down force when turning the screw. This has worked for me 100% of the time for over 4 decades. Once the screws are out...throw them in the garbage and replace them with SS cap screws that you can buy at the local ace hardware store.

There is a lot of good info on this site about cleaning the carb. I suggest you read the data as there are a few "good to know" type things. If you can get the tank off...you can clean a carb. I've been doing it since I was 12 years old. If a dumb kid can do it, so can you.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/28/16 at 06:57:29

I never knew there was a difference between JIS and Phillips!! Thanks!!

I ordered the petcock, should be here next week, and I'll go get a JIS Screwdriver and go ahead and clean the carb too. Eventually I need to learn it right Cheesy

Also, is it worth to get a carb repair kit? Or I won't know until I open it and see the condition that it is in?

Marc

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 10/28/16 at 07:50:01

More than likely, you just need a good cleaning. If you are happy with the jetting (no bogging or surging) thee isn't a need for a kit. Of course, if you are experiencing bogging or surging it could be a result of a clogged circuit. At this point, I'd just clean it.

IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/28/16 at 08:55:47

Removing the carb is not as easy, I think I have all cables out, but the thing does not move much. The battery box is also very close to it, no much room to pull even if I was able to move it. Any advise? Right now it is still sitting between the two tubes and it seems that it's not going to go anywhere.

Marc

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 10/28/16 at 09:15:31

Loosen the front and rear clamps, move them out of the way, turn it 90 degrees and twist it out.

While the carb is off the bike, stuff a rag in the intake boot so nothing finds it's way into the engine.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 10/28/16 at 09:22:07

Apologies if this was noted (didn't have time to read everyone's detailed posts), but make sure you open up the plug to the air/mix screw if it hasn't been already. This allows you to adjust the air/fuel mixture at idle. That may help with any issues getting smooth running at idle.  See this link for more info.  BE CAREFUL not to damage the screw that's under the plug, it's brass and can get chewed up easily if you are too aggressive.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822/0#0

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
marccarrion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/28/16 at 10:05:43

I have tried turning it 90 degrees clockwise (from riding position) and the top hits the frame... it can't turn Sad I read someone had to remove the top before removing it, is that normal?

Marc

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 10/28/16 at 10:24:15

OK, if turn and twist didn't work, then it's move back (towards the airbox) until the front of the body clears the boot, then twist it to the side.

It's not a delicate flower, so it's ok to man-handle it to get it out. Don't be afraid to drive it hard towards the airbox.

Make sure that the fuel line is disconnected, the throttle cable is disconnected, and the two vent lines are free (leave them in place, just disconnect them from the carb body).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:36:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First time cleaning carbs, what else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.