Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Rocker Arm Changes
10/11/16 at 10:45:17

I have become aware of 3 different rocker arms in the Savage engine.

The early versions are once piece construction, and the width of the part in contact with cam is narrower than the cam lobes.

I can't document when the change was made - but as some point the one piece rocker arms were changed to have a wider wearing surface, and it is almost as wide as the cam lobes.

The part numbers for the above one piece rocker are 12840-07F00 for the intake and 12850-07400 for the exhaust rocker.

In the 2004 model year there were a lot of upgrades to the Savage, and it may be the rockers were changed as well.  The parts diagram shows the 1 piece rockers are listed with the same part numbers listed above - but it also lists the new style rocker that have part number 12840-24B10 for the intake and 12850-24B10 for the exhaust.  These rockers are made by brazing a hardened wearing surface on to the rocker.

I will be taking photographs and posting an article in the Tech Section that shows the changes - but until I do I welcome any comments on the issue.  I have seen plenty of damaged 1 piece rockers - but my experience with the new style rockers is very limited, as I have only taken 2 bikes apart that have the newer style rockers, and both of them were very low mileage.  Has anyone ever seen a 2 piece rocker that has been worn or damaged?

I would suggest that anyone who needs to replace their rockers consider an upgrade to the new style rockers - the parts list doesn't show that the old style has been replaced (superceeded) by the new style - so it may be possible that you can still purchase the older style 1 piece rockers.  The rocker arm shaft numbers have not changed, so it appears the rocker arms styles are interchangeable.  (It might even be desirable to buy the newer style rockers and sell you old style on eBay....however youzguyz has just proven the early rockers are good for 155,000 plus miles as long as you use Rotella oil and keep you idle speed up where it belongs).

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Rocker Arm Changes
Reply #1 - 10/11/16 at 12:25:49

Dave does each of the 2 piece rocker contact the cam ?
Having a hard time picturing it my mind !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/11/16 at 13:32:55

The 2 piece rocker looks just like the 1 piece....except there is a hardened wearing surface that has been brazed on where the rockers contacts the cam.  (The early rockers don't have this hardened piece).

Here is a newer "2 piece" rocker with the insert with a worn 1 piece rocker from a 2002 bike.

And this is what the wear on the 2002 (1 piece) rocker looks like when it was still in the head cover.  The exhaust rocker and cam were worn - most likely this was caused by a previous owner idling the bike on the sidestand for extended periods (to keep the battery charged and the fuel in the carb fresh in the winter months).

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 10/11/16 at 15:19:48

Ok I was thinking a rocker for each valve. I had mine welded & reground when I bought my cam.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/11/16 at 17:52:16

Ruttly wrote on 10/11/16 at 15:19:48:
Ok I was thinking a rocker for each valve. I had mine welded & reground when I bought my cam.

Unfortunately....I did the same thing.  It turns out that the new rockers work just fine with the welded/reground cams, and they are half the price of having Webcam weld and grind your rockers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:18:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rocker Arm Changes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.