Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New oil leak (Read 74 times)
ghryx
YaBB Newbies

argh.

New oil leak
09/04/16 at 18:07:37

Hi all, I've done the cap oil leak fix, and another for the little nut in the cubby below the exhaust. All's been well but a new one has shown up on the front right side of the engine inside the opening immediately adjacent the exhaust.  Here's a couple pix:

I feel like I found info on this before in here, but for the life of me I can't track it down now.  Anyone point me in the right direction?  How evil is this new one?  Thx.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New oil leak
Reply #1 - 09/04/16 at 18:42:14

WWW   IP Logged
ghryx
YaBB Newbies

argh.

Reply #2 - 09/05/16 at 08:39:31

but...but...but...
I already did that!  Brand new plug this past spring, did the suggested sealant on it and everything. I triple checked that it was seated correctly.  What could cause it to fail so quickly (fully accepting operator error could be one cause).   Embarrassed

It also looks to me like oil is coming up from -under- the bolt. I thought this one was below the plug problem.  Hmm.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/05/16 at 09:23:32

ghryx wrote on 09/05/16 at 08:39:31:
It also looks to me like oil is coming up from -under- the bolt. I thought this one was below the plug problem.  Hmm.

Well... yes it can.  Here's a leak check that'll help you clarify...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335737953

WWW   IP Logged
ghryx
YaBB Newbies

argh.

Reply #4 - 09/05/16 at 09:35:01

Thx. Will do some testing today.  Gotta love a 15 year old bike. Wink

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Better living through chemistry
Reply #5 - 09/14/16 at 10:46:28

I had a similar set of leaks, one from the head plug and some weeping oil from the nut. (I took Dave's advice and cleaned up the area then rode with a piece of rolled-up cloth to see which side got oily, and both sides did.)

Somewhat amazingly, cleaning up the area with carb cleaner stopped the rubber plug leak, and using high-temp, wicking Loctite on the nut and washer stopped that leak.  I used Loctite 294, which is oil-tolerant and wicks into the threads without need for disassembly. So far, after 1000 miles of hard riding, I see no leak from either place.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to take things apart to replace the copper crush washer and snug that bolt up again. In my case, if it leaks in the future I'll probably need to heat the nut to remove it.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:31:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.