Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bike trip
Reply #15 - 09/06/16 at 06:13:19

There is a kit made by Outex that can be used to make your spoked wheels tubeless.  I have never done it.....don't know anything about it yet.  You can buy it on eBay, or from online retailers.

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~outex/tubelesskitenglishlist.htm

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 09/06/16 at 11:28:01

If you intend to travel using a credit/debit card it may be wise to inform your bank as some will trace your purchases across the country and assume your card is stolen and shut off access to your account. It's a good idea to keep a few hundred in your shoe, for those times cards are not taken or some low life steals your bike (you will have out of state plates!) so you at least have bus /plane to go on or go home.Most banks will try to call if you have a cellphone,but if your in the mts. or the middle of nowhere ?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #17 - 09/06/16 at 13:40:39

If I were to take the savage on a long trip I would definitely look into changing the gearing to lower the RPMs a bit. I'd also pick up a throttle lock and a good pair of gloves with gel palms.

Depending on your route, more fuel would be very nice but that's not something that would just easily bolt right up to the bike.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 09/06/16 at 16:03:50

You can use alum.  water bottles like the kind sold on this site,fill with fuel ,screw in the top run a couple of turns of electrical tape around the top seam and toss in a saddle bag.If you forget to turn your petcock back to run from reserve after a fill up ,you'll have a second reserve.(beats pushing )the plastic in the tops of these tend to swell,(seal tighter,hard to remove, an impossible to reinsert,but wont leak)one time use only.(ask me how I know)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #19 - 09/07/16 at 06:25:21

One thing that I thought of this morning that has made things nice on some long trips. I bring a wet rag in a baggie and a separate dry rag. At stops I clean off my helmet visor with the wet rag and then dry with the other. The little bit of moisture takes the bugs right off and using the second rag removes all of the water spots.

It's probably not as big of a deal if you have a windshield but it could be used on that instead of a helmet visor.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #20 - 09/07/16 at 08:44:33

I have a 1.5 liter Primus fuel bottle (reusable and NO leaks) as well as a "Crampbuster" that I found on Amazon..  
Since you have a while to plan, take a few weekend practice runs to decide what you actually need and how best to pack it. Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Scott1234
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/08/16 at 16:15:00

Thanks for all the advice everyone, no discrimination against the little stuff either. A pebble in your shoe is a small thing until you have to walk too far. Its going to be a while as a procure equipment and modify the bike so expect updates in the future, ill be sure to take pictures.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.