Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Clunking  going into first. (Read 244 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Clunking  going into first.
08/19/16 at 17:11:51

I have found that when I stop for gas, after restarting, going into first makes a god-awful clunk In traffic if I give the bike time, clutch disengaged, no problem. In this situation I usually put the bike in gear push it back a bit to break the clutch and start in gear. which of course precludes the clashing of gears. I don't like loading the starter by doing this but 'the lesser of evils'

Anybody got a comment. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clunking  going into first.
Reply #1 - 08/19/16 at 17:31:03

Sidestand up, start in first?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/19/16 at 17:33:29

Clunk is just normal...
It's trying to sound like a Harley...

My Sporty does it way better...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 08/19/16 at 17:34:30

try pulling the clutch in and waiting a moment before trying to shift into first.  If it's smoother, might to adjust the clutch cable a bit

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/19/16 at 18:22:12

does your clutch drag a bit at stops?
where's the throwout lever in relation to the marks on the case?
may need to change the rod.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/19/16 at 19:46:59

It clunks,it rattles,it wines and it farts out the tail pipe! It's a savage !get over it!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 08/19/16 at 21:23:03

Glad someone finally asked this, I've been wondering about the almighty clunk now I don't have to worry.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
CarnivalOfRust
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 08/19/16 at 21:52:22

I had a Kawasaki KX125 that I absolutely abused the clutch on. I weigh about 250 and that poor bike had to work four years with me on its back. Early on in owning it I found the clutch completely locked up. I hadn't realized it but this had been building up with warning signs like hard shifting, gray colored trans fluid, clutch-in stops killing the motor, and then the clutch would lock up after a day or so of sitting. I changed the oil and kept it fresh from then on and never had a symptom again. This is all extreme scenario for a street cruiser, but adjusting your clutch cable so it fully disengages the clutch and running fresh oil will keep your clutch happy. If you get you get your cable set so it disengages nicely but you have no free play at the lever then it may be time for a new cable, or possibly some clutch work.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 08/19/16 at 21:54:45

It's normal. 1st is always very loud. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can get an extremely quiet shift into the upper gears. It's smooth as butter and quiet as a morgue. Don't ask me how I do it. I don't know. The Savage was not designed to be a smooth, comfortable motorcycle. Suzi Q didn't put billions of dollars in R&D in this thing.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #9 - 08/19/16 at 21:55:15

Sounds like your clutch is not disengaging all the way. A small amount of clunk or gear clash is normal while it breaks the spinning clutch loose. But is it isn't disengaging all the way then it would be more of a clunk or clash sound. Does the bike lurch forward a little when you put it in gear?

Check for to much clutch lever free play then the release arm position. Like Versy said may be a short throwout arm and you need a longer one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/20/16 at 04:37:32

When I first start my bike up and the engine is cold, the oil is thick and the first click into gear is always the loudest.  My driveway slopes slightly downhill.....so I pull in the clutch, have my left foot on the shifter, and with my right foot I push off and get the bike rolling....and shift into gear while the bike is rolling forward, and it softens the clunk a bit.

After that......I just do things normally and let it make a little noise when going from neutral to first gear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/20/16 at 06:19:25

I just do things normally

You just keep on telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 08/20/16 at 07:24:39

Dave,
Mine is the opposite. It goes into gear, after cold starting, like butter? When I stop for gas and the bike is stopped for about 3 min or so it tries to rip the dogs off first gear. That's why I start in gear after fueling.???
The clutch seems to be adjusted properly. It doesn't make sense to me. The S40 gearbox isn't bad at all as long as finesse is used.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/20/16 at 07:29:19

That is weird....normally the clutch releases easier once the engine is warmed up and the oil is thinner.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/20/16 at 07:34:42

Norm,

I would think that your clutch is dragging slightly if it has an excessive clunk going into gear when the engine is warm.

When I stop to add petrol I always stop in gear. After I fill the fuel tank I push the bike forward a few feet while holding the clutch lever in to separate the clutch discs. I then push the shifter into neutral and start the engine and put it into gear without the clunk.

There is nothing more embarrassing than some wise ass kid in the back of mum's minivan hollering out the window "Hey mister grind me a pound" followed with a hysterical laugh.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:29:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clunking  going into first.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.