Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not-so-great acceleration in 1st gear (Read 91 times)
kecuki
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Francisco, CA
Not-so-great acceleration in 1st gear
08/22/16 at 11:55:28

I'm noticing that riding my bike in first gear, it doesn't have as much acceleration and power as I think it should have, or as I'm used to from very different bikes I rode in the past. Usually, when I stop and start moving on 1st, acceleration is not linear, sometimes a little bit jumpy even. As I'm opening the throttle, it doesn't accelerate smoothly. From 2nd gear upwards it's much better, opening throttle gradually accelerates bike forward. Is this something I should expect from this bike or is it not normal? I have '99 Ryca, unknown mileage. Many thanks for your responses and sorry for the dumb question  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Not-so-great acceleration in 1st gear
Reply #1 - 08/22/16 at 12:00:45

If the bike surges and doesn't accelerate smoothly at low throttle settings - but the acceleration smooths out when you open the throttle over 1/2 throttle - that is an indication that the bike is running too lean at lower throttle settings.  The cure for that is normally to replace the white spacer on the slide needle with 3 washers that are #4 Machine Screw size (sometimes 2 washers if 3 doesn't cure the problem).

Maybe you could use a carb cleaning as well?

What kind of oil are you using?  Hopefully not an oil with Friction Modifiers that could be causing your clutch to slip.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 08/22/16 at 13:12:31

Dave wrote on 08/22/16 at 12:00:45:
If the bike surges and doesn't accelerate smoothly at low throttle settings - but the acceleration smooths out when you open the throttle over 1/2 throttle - that is an indication that the bike is running too lean at lower throttle settings.  The cure for that is normally to replace the white spacer on the slide needle with 3 washers that are #4 Machine Screw size (sometimes 2 washers if 3 doesn't cure the problem).

[this is directed at the OP, not Dave]

The easy way to determine if lean jetting is causing performance problems is to engage the choke while accelerating and see if performance improves.

[of course, Dave knows this]

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/22/16 at 14:00:38

I am not a big fan of using the choke for doing an analysis on carb issues....however if it does run better with the choke on, that is an indication the engine needs more fuel for some reason.  It doesn't help you to know if it needs a jetting change, idle fuel adjustment, the carb cleaned, or there is low fuel in the float bowl.

However...the choke can help you figure out if the issue is fuel related, and if the problem is too little or too much fuel.  It shouldn't be used as an indication on the main jet size.....the choke doesn't work at high throttle settings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kecuki
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Francisco, CA
Reply #4 - 08/22/16 at 14:14:17

Dave wrote on 08/22/16 at 12:00:45:
What kind of oil are you using?  Hopefully not an oil with Friction Modifiers that could be causing your clutch to slip.

I have Suzuki 10w40 (4-Cycle Motorcycle Engine Oil)

I remember playing with a choke a little bit some weeks ago, and if I recall correctly bike was running a bit better (in 1st gear, that is)... I will need to try again to be 100% sure.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #5 - 08/22/16 at 16:14:19

Do you have the petcock mod installed? Sounds like it's starved for fuel.

IP Logged
Riley
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 08/22/16 at 16:43:01

I think part of the problem in 1st is that the power isn't spread over a wide range making acceleration short. 1st ends so quickly the bike doesn't have much time to spend in the powerband whereas in 2nd it does. Of course past second the gutless bike will have a hard time spreading the low amount of torque over the gear ranges.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #7 - 08/22/16 at 20:22:32

If it's tuned right no way. It has plenty of torque in all gears but only 30 ish HP. It's not a Kawasaki Ninja racing bike it's a thumper cruiser different class. It's not the kind of engine you rev to 14000 RPM. If you do you'll be in pieces.

You have something out of adjustment. Timing chain, carburetor, valve lash, bad gas... Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/22/16 at 22:03:59

If you're not getting a giggle either you're spoiled by having a seriously quick bike, or yours is not running right.
With mods real close to a six second zero to sixty is totally doable. Stock, IDK, but they aren't gutless. First gear is done quickly. If you're Riding in first you should be in a parking lot.
If you want acceleration you should be grabbing second no more than a couple of seconds after leaving the line. I'm in fourth by about ten seconds out. Not trying to run each gear all the way out, just feeling the torque.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:37:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not-so-great acceleration in 1st gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.