Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1997 Savage bobber on Craigslist (Read 120 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
1997 Savage bobber on Craigslist
08/18/16 at 12:26:19

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mpo/5715531555.html

I can see the dent in the gas tank, the taped up seat and rusty spots here and there but for the most part, this seems like a pretty decent deal. And it looks like it's only 12-14 miles from my office so it won't be too tough for me to go look at it. But I've got three huge concerns:

1. I wonder how much money it'll take for me to get an actual NC title for this thing. I'm guessing MORE than he's asking for the purchase price.

2. With my "nearly-zero" mechanical ability, I wonder how difficult it would be to learn how to tune a carb correctly. (assuming I can get help via tech section and y'all's encouragement)

3. I wonder how I can hide it from my wife until I get it cleaned up and running somewhat decently.

Might be a fun project to work on this fall and then sell. Advice? Dude says it runs so it can't be all bad, could it?    Shocked

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: 1997 Savage bobber on Craigslist
Reply #1 - 08/18/16 at 13:43:58

No title =stolen?  Parts bike maybe. does NC title by frame or engine number? which one do you want to throw away? Is what you get to keep worth $400?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #2 - 08/18/16 at 14:00:25

The front rotor looks to be a different size than stock and there's no caliper (so obviously the front brake line isn't hooked up to anything)

There are also no signals so who knows how much the electrics were chopped up.

I don't remember exactly how far back the stock frame goes back but if it was chopped up in the rear it wouldn't be worth as much. Maybe still an option for someone looking to make it into a better bobber?

It looks like it has keys so it's not as likely that it was stolen. The little tag near the shifter controls makes me think that the bike was sold at an auction or some sort of sale like that. I have no clue what parts are worth on this bike but if it runs I would assume that the remaining parts could be sold for $400 if you want to mess with it.

I'm also trying to figure out what the red dot is near the carb in this picture.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/18/16 at 14:17:16

BSTON wrote on 08/18/16 at 14:00:25:
The front rotor looks to be a different size than stock and there's no caliper (so obviously the front brake line isn't hooked up to anything)
caliper looks like it's tucked behind headlight.
There are also no signals so who knows how much the electrics were chopped up.

I don't remember exactly how far back the stock frame goes back but if it was chopped up in the rear it wouldn't be worth as much. Maybe still an option for someone looking to make it into a better bobber?
Has stock seat so the horns might be there
It looks like it has keys so it's not as likely that it was stolen. The little tag near the shifter controls makes me think that the bike was sold at an auction or some sort of sale like that. I have no clue what parts are worth on this bike but if it runs I would assume that the remaining parts could be sold for $400 if you want to mess with it.

I'm also trying to figure out what the red dot is near the carb in this picture.

might be a fuel filter.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/18/16 at 14:37:08

verslagen1 wrote on 08/18/16 at 14:17:16:
BSTON wrote on 08/18/16 at 14:00:25:

might be a fuel filter.

Looks like a filter when I zoom in on it.  

Can we take bets and if RG gets it we'll settle at the next Dragin meeting?  Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/18/16 at 14:58:31

Oh I forgot to note front disc is EBC replacement.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/18/16 at 18:33:41

Well it could be worth $ 400 in parts, if you don't value your time very much (as you won't be covering your labor cost to dismantle, market and ship the parts.  It would however provide a way for you to learn how to tear things apart!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 08/18/16 at 19:06:53

BSTON, I'm very impressed with your observation skills!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #8 - 08/19/16 at 00:26:51

It's really not in good conditions!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/19/16 at 01:10:52

Experience costs money. Either you buy something to learn on or you screw up your good bike .
It'd give you a place to practice and maybe even get some parts .
Be nice to have a spare carb..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 08/24/16 at 04:30:53

After mulling over the possibilities of this bike, and one in Fayetteville and one in Raleigh, I'd decided to save my money and spend it on my 2012 bike. I want to tinker with some simple stuff over the next couple of months like the seat mod, a raptor petcock and maybe install some Harley pipes.

Well, that and the fact that my wife isn't 100% behind the idea of bringing in another bike at this juncture.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:23:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1997 Savage bobber on Craigslist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.