Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anything! (Read 1052 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anyth
Reply #75 - 08/18/16 at 12:19:51

Yup... all hogwash.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #76 - 08/18/16 at 12:29:59

Thank you Gary. It  is all in good fun and Newbee knows I'm just messin with him. If he lived next door his bike would be running but he doesn't live next door. Ive been riding since 12 and fix my own bikes ever since and a mechanic for the last 25 years. Im glad I offended you now Newbee knows you got his back. I know I wasn't the only offender. And I won't hold it against you that your an engineer , cause if engineering was perfect we wouldn't need mechanics would we !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 08/18/16 at 13:12:10

You have to question the intent after a while, as time after time the popper plug has hit the water and been drug back cross the calm surface of the water while jest looking for some bass to rise up to hit on it.  

Ignorance is RANDOM, surface fishing with a bait caster rig is not random at all .....

Look at the title of this thing,    Don't trust torque specs, wrenches ... or anything!

Somebody is jest fishing for some attention ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #78 - 08/18/16 at 14:30:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/18/16 at 10:04:27:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/18/16 at 08:47:31:
No, I had torqued all of them and stripped one. I removed them all afterwards.

And, once again, the details come out.

After how long? After some time... not immediately... minutes??? No more than a few hours later I'd say.

So, was there anything done differently with the one that stripped? I was in the last stage. I forget how many bolts I had torqued to 45 before that one. Not sure... I was probably mildly aware that torquing twice could cause problems, so I likely went straight for the clicker on the last stage. Again... not sure.
Were they all torqued in stages? I did torque them in stages, partly for the purpose of comparing the two torque wrenches. I doubt I had never really used the beam type before. I believe I started at 30 with-- I don't know-- maybe a couple stages above that.
I'm guessing not. Methinks you guessed wrong. Grin

Here is something for the inexperienced.

When assembling things, get all the bolts started.
Then, gently snug them, working a pattern. A head on a V8 has a different pattern than a wheel, but the concept is the same. On a sprocket, I would not even use a torque wrench. I know what Tight feels like. But I Would get all the bolts in, snug in a crossing pattern and continue In that pattern gradually increasing the torque until I Felt the bolts come tight. If I knew that they were Supposed to be able to Take 45pounds I would be looking at the effort I was putting out and length of the ratchet and maybe even add a cheater pipe to make it easier for me.
Six bolts ,, consider the Clamping Force of six bolts. The thread angle of the bolts, the finer the thread, the less angle. So, a fine thread with a given torque will clamp tighter than a coarse thread with the same torque, all else being equal.
Take six bolts, and think about just how hard it will be to make sure that sprocket is not gonna move.
What kinda power is it getting?
What was the
Recommended Torque you were given?Usually, it's a range, not a specific target. On the Savage the torque specs are often very wide. Just because a torque spec is listed in a book doesn't mean that a torque wrench is needed.

Great... I can't tell you certainly I used a crossing pattern, but I most likely did. I might have been better off without a torque wrench as, then, I may have used my intuition rather than a number.

That
It just got easier to turn
Feeling?
You don't know it yet but your body learned what it feels like Just as it starts. Do that a few more times and You will develop the feel of a bolt coming to its full potential and more isn't better..

I take it that you're saying that it slows down at getting significantly harder to turn (not necessarily easier) right as the bolt reaches its peak holding performance? Feeling for proper bolt stretch? Huh

Now, is it possible that you got a bolt that just wasn't as strong as the others? Probably Wink
Yep,, could be. Some stuff just isn't up to snuff. But greasing up threads reduces rotational friction which requires less Torque to achieve the clamping force. And invites stripping threads. True, but, assuming that what I put on there was no worse than plain motor oil, the difference isn't going to be much compared to anti-seize.

http://benmlee.com/4runner/threads/Slide1.JPG
http://benmlee.com/4runner/threads/threads.htm

So,
What went wrong?
What have you learned from it?

A. Don't trust torque wrenches.
  1.Don't trust clickers, especially when they're old, out of tune, and out of their peak torque range.
  2. Beam wrenches are more reliable...period.
  3.Proper torque is not set in stone. It is more or less an indirect method of measuring proper tightness--only one piece of the puzzle. Bolt angle can be more accurate. Tighten till snug (or finger tight???), then a specified amount of rotation. This predicts bolt tension (longitudinal??? Am I wording it right) without the variable of thread friction getting in the way.
  3. Instead of using adapters, get a torque wrench that is appropriate for the size bolt. In other words, one of these days I ought to get a 3/8 inch drive torque wrench. If it's a clicker, especially a cheap one, be well-rehearsed in calibration techniques and beware. Otherwise, get a beamer (not taking about BMW, by the way).
  4. On top of that, torque properly. Be careful when torquing multiple times. You can't go to 40 ft lbs and then turn it the same direction again and expect to be able to get 35.  Roll Eyes Of course, I probably knew that already. Just sayin' Wink
  5. Finally, if your torque wrench is liable to cause problems, just throw it away... Cheesy You're better off using your hand than being fooled and (hmmm... a certain other word feels nearly perfect here, but using it is simply not my style) by a lying torque wrench.

B. Torque is a combination of bolt friction and bolt tension as accomplished by the leverage of the bolt's threads. Tension is what holds the pieces together. Friction is what holds the bolt from moving. Both are important. On the friction side, there is a complicated and fine balance between keeping a bolt easily removable and keeping it from falling out without using too much bolt tension. Knowledgeable or discretionary use of bolt lubrication, anti-seize, or loctite may be warranted.
  1 The presence or absence of bolt lubrication can complicate things considerably. Torque must be reduced after lubricating threads in order to avoid overtensioning the bolt, thereby stretching it too hard or stripping it of threads. As it seems, anti-seize can be the worst for causing problems, while the effect of other lubricants can be mildly significant, but not severe. Loctite serves as an initial lubricant, and torque must be reduced then as well.
  2. Anti-seize is used when there is substantial risk of the bolt getting stuck and becoming difficult or impossible to remove by conventional and convenient means. Anti-seize is most useful in high temperature applications. Otherwise, it may be possible to use oil??? Huh
   3.An APPROPRIATE (too high grade can be nearly like welding the bolt in place... too low, it can break loose too easily) grade of thread locker (such as Loctite brand) may be used whenever there is a substantial risk of the bolt/nut coming loose and causing a problem,and is ESPECIALLY NECESSARY when the friction provided by proper bolt torquing is not sufficient to hold the bolt in place. Over-tightening as a substitute for thread locker is often not a very good option and can sometimes be disastrous.
   4. Don't trust book values. Follow the above principles. It is better to go for minimum torque than strip, especially for specialty fasteners.
   5.A good hand can go a long way to finding proper tightness, in accordance with A5. Torque wrenches are not always necessary, especially with wide torque ranges.

C. I learned a little more  about the value of bolt shoulders.

D. I should have checked thread length. (I knew better but missed it this time). Oversight...

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #79 - 08/18/16 at 14:34:07

« Last Edit: 08/18/16 at 17:20:12 by cheapnewb24 »  

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #80 - 08/18/16 at 17:11:57

It would have been way, way, worse if I had used anti-seize. Comparably, oil lubed threads isn't much worse than dry. Going back to the source material, he seems to think that motor oil doesn't cause a problem, but anti-seize causes a substantial problem. Yeah, oil probably makes a difference. How much is another question.

For the record, I'm getting rather annoyed with all this "weapons-grade stupid" business. Angry

That bike is going to be fixed, and Mr. Loser here is going to do it, whether you have any faith in me or not!

This was a meaningful discussion, but, obviously, some of the high and mighty here don't think it's worth swine slop.  Angry

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 08/18/16 at 17:12:07

That's a pretty graph, but where did it come from?  

How does the pretty graph, which has no origin mentioned anywhere, have anything to do with the fasteners on your wheel assembly?    

Seems like a 1/4 - 28 American thread, not many of those on an all metric Savage motorcycle.

Housing screw off a Harley?   Oil pan bolt off an American car?   Something American 1/4-28 that likes to strip or break would be my guess .....

Show us where this graph came from, so we can see the context and comments from the original author.

=======================================

..... and yes, we all recognize that fasteners inside their designed torque ranges are STRETCHED FASTENERS that are maintaining a designed clamping force, or tension that is what holds the parts together.

You saying you can do it by feel is like old Bill saying he could adjust his valves by ear, listening to the amount of click while it is running.

Doing it by measuring direct rotation past seating IS a way of directly determining an amount of bolt stretch, but this only applies to dry metallic flange to dry metallic flange hard bolt ups, any form of gasket in between the flanges makes the method unusable.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #82 - 08/18/16 at 17:14:20

The origin is mentioned in the previous thread. I had technical problems. The picture didn't want to show up, but the link to the image is there along with the source.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #83 - 08/18/16 at 17:15:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/18/16 at 17:12:07:

That's a pretty graph, but where did it come from?  

How does the pretty graph, which has no origin mentioned anywhere, have anything to do with the fasteners on your wheel assembly?    

Seems like a 1/4 - 28 American thread, not many of those on an all metric Savage motorcycle.

Housing screw off a Harley?   Oil pan bolt off an American car?

Show us where this graph came from, so we can see the context and comments from the original author.

Size doesn't matter does it? Principle is the same regardless of size, isn't it? Are you starting to nitpick meaningless things just to discredit me?

The chart now has the source above it. Hope you're happy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #84 - 08/18/16 at 17:26:40

After how long?

So, was there anything done differently with the one that stripped?
Were they all torqued in stages?
I'm guessing not.

Then, gently snug them, working a pattern. A head on a V8 has a different pattern than a wheel, but the concept is the same. On a sprocket, I would not even use a torque wrench. I know what Tight feels like. But I Would get all the bolts in, snug in a crossing pattern and continue In that pattern gradually increasing the torque until I Felt the bolts come tight. If I knew that they were Supposed to be able to Take 45pounds I would be looking at the effort I was putting out and length of the ratchet and maybe even add a cheater pipe to make it easier for me.
Six bolts ,, consider the Clamping Force of six bolts. The thread angle of the bolts, the finer the thread, the less angle. So, a fine thread with a given torque will clamp tighter than a coarse thread with the same torque, all else being equal.
Take six bolts, and think about just how hard it will be to make sure that sprocket is not gonna move.
What was the
Recommended Torque you were given?Usually, it's a range, not a specific target. On the Savage the torque specs are often very wide. Just because a torque spec is listed in a book doesn't mean that a torque wrench is needed.

That
Feeling?
You don't know it yet but your body learned what it feels like Just as it starts. Do that a few more times and You will develop the feel of a bolt coming to its full potential and more isn't better..

Now, is it possible that you got a bolt that just wasn't as strong as the others?
Yep,, could be. Some stuff just isn't up to snuff. But greasing up threads reduces rotational friction which requires less Torque to achieve the clamping force. And invites stripping threads.

So,
What went wrong?

Couple of questions there.

Funny how much information about torque you have
Now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #85 - 08/18/16 at 17:33:18

So repeat the thread reference, punkin -- every time you give a fact into evidence give the source where you got it from.

All you are saying now is that you ain't got that information any more, or that you are too lazy to go get it from wherever and plunk it down again.

We are not over there, way off in the past, we are here and now.   Things from past threads are useless unless referenced.

=====================================   he went and got it.

At work, I was testing a bolt tensioner for a spacecraft mechanism. I had to put lubricant on the thread to prevent it from gaulling due to the high tension required on the mechanism. I wondered how effective the lubricant would be on the thread. I decided to run a few extra runs after work to determine the effects that lubricant has on bolt tension. The reasoning is that lubricant makes the nut more slippery, and therefore with the same specified torque that you apply to the nut per the manual, you would get a higher tension because of lower friction in the nut. The question was how much tension increase do you get.

A strain gauge was placed on a 1/4-28 bolt and torqued with a torque wrench to various values.

These tests are performed with the nut sitting on a ball bearing, so that part of the friction is not accounted for.

The test set-up that I had had a ball bearing that the nut is sitting on. Therefore, the only friction is in the thread. The thread were 17-4PH Cond. H700, and the nut was 6AL-4V Titanium. The material does not represent your typical automotive fasteners. However, I was interested in comparing the difference between using and not using lubricant. Since the same material is used in all tests, it is assumed that different material will exhibit the same characteristics. Plus, I did not have the right material available

Duh, titanium nuts and super strength bolts?  With the fastener working against a ball bearing to make sure there was zero stiction in the measurement system?   What lab grade torque measuring tool did he use to make this evaluation anyway?

What possible relation to a Suzuki Savage Wheel Assembly metric fastener does this 1/4-28 threaded spacecraft mechanism shite even POSSIBLY have to your motorcycle ????

What was your intended point, anyway?   Refresh us again please.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #86 - 08/18/16 at 17:37:07

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/18/16 at 14:30:08:

After how long? After some time... not immediately... minutes??? No more than a few hours later I'd say.

So, was there anything done differently with the one that stripped? I was in the last stage. I forget how many bolts I had torqued to 45 before that one. Not sure... I was probably mildly aware that torquing twice could cause problems, so I likely went straight for the clicker on the last stage. Again... not sure.
Were they all torqued in stages? I did torque them in stages, partly for the purpose of comparing the two torque wrenches. I doubt I had never really used the beam type before. I believe I started at 30 with-- I don't know-- maybe a couple stages above that.
I'm guessing not. Methinks you guessed wrong. Grin

What was the

Great... I can't tell you certainly I used a crossing pattern, but I most likely did. I might have been better off without a torque wrench as, then, I may have used my intuition rather than a number.

That
Feeling?

I take it that you're saying that it slows down at getting significantly harder to turn (not necessarily easier) right as the bolt reaches its peak holding performance? Feeling for proper bolt stretch? Huh

Now, is it possible that you got a bolt that just wasn't as strong as the others? Probably Wink
Yep,, could be. Some stuff just isn't up to snuff. But greasing up threads reduces rotational friction which requires less Torque to achieve the clamping force. And invites stripping threads. True, but, assuming that what I put on there was no worse than plain motor oil, the difference isn't going to be much compared to anti-seize.

http://benmlee.com/4runner/threads/Slide1.JPG

So,
What went wrong?

A. Don't trust torque wrenches.
  1.Don't trust clickers, especially when they're old, out of tune, and out of their peak torque range.
  2. Beam wrenches are more reliable...period.
  3.Proper torque is not set in stone. It is more or less an indirect method of measuring proper tightness--only one piece of the puzzle. Bolt angle can be more accurate. Tighten till snug (or finger tight???), then a specified amount of rotation. This predicts bolt tension (longitudinal??? Am I wording it right) without the variable of thread friction getting in the way.
  3. Instead of using adapters, get a torque wrench that is appropriate for the size bolt. In other words, one of these days I ought to get a 3/8 inch drive torque wrench. If it's a clicker, especially a cheap one, be well-rehearsed in calibration techniques and beware. Otherwise, get a beamer (not taking about BMW, by the way).
  4. On top of that, torque properly. Be careful when torquing multiple times. You can't go to 40 ft lbs and then turn it the same direction again and expect to be able to get 35.  Roll Eyes Of course, I probably knew that already. Just sayin' Wink
  5. Finally, if your torque wrench is liable to cause problems, just throw it away... Cheesy You're better off using your hand than being fooled and (hmmm... a certain other word feels nearly perfect here, but using it is simply not my style) by a lying torque wrench.

B. Torque is a combination of bolt friction and bolt tension as accomplished by the leverage of the bolt's threads. Tension is what holds the pieces together. Friction is what holds the bolt from moving. Both are important. On the friction side, there is a complicated and fine balance between keeping a bolt easily removable and keeping it from falling out without using too much bolt tension. Knowledgeable or discretionary use of bolt lubrication, anti-seize, or loctite may be warranted.
  1 The presence or absence of bolt lubrication can complicate things considerably. Torque must be reduced after lubricating threads in order to avoid overtensioning the bolt, thereby stretching it too hard or stripping it of threads. As it seems, anti-seize can be the worst for causing problems, while the effect of other lubricants can be mildly significant, but not severe. Loctite serves as an initial lubricant, and torque must be reduced then as well.
  2. Anti-seize is used when there is substantial risk of the bolt getting stuck and becoming difficult or impossible to remove by conventional and convenient means. Anti-seize is most useful in high temperature applications. Otherwise, it may be possible to use oil??? Huh
   3.An APPROPRIATE (too high grade can be nearly like welding the bolt in place... too low, it can break loose too easily) grade of thread locker (such as Loctite brand) may be used whenever there is a substantial risk of the bolt/nut coming loose and causing a problem,and is ESPECIALLY NECESSARY when the friction provided by proper bolt torquing is not sufficient to hold the bolt in place. Over-tightening as a substitute for thread locker is often not a very good option and can sometimes be disastrous.
   4. Don't trust book values. Follow the above principles. It is better to go for minimum torque than strip, especially for specialty fasteners.
   5.A good hand can go a long way to finding proper tightness, in accordance with A5. Torque wrenches are not always necessary, especially with wide torque ranges.

C. I learned a little more  about the value of bolt shoulders.

D. I should have checked thread length. (I knew better but missed it this time). Oversight...

Funny how much information I have now JOG  Angry FOLLOW THE DARNED HYPERLINKS! Angry The chart doesn't want to show. I don't know why. Maybe the post is too long. Roll Eyes Ughhh! Angry

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #87 - 08/18/16 at 17:50:34

I didn't realize that it was all about exotic titanium fasteners!

Still, the author guesses that steel fasteners would act the same. :facepalm:

(Maybe it would??????)

That's one of the links someone gave me at the beginning of this thread.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #88 - 08/18/16 at 17:55:43

The point was that, compared to anti-seize, motor oil isn't so bad on fasteners.

Thanks, Gary for jinxing me. Tongue

Now, I am starting to look stupid. Angry

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #89 - 08/18/16 at 18:05:20

Well, it is good to know your aerospace scientist used a torque wrench to do his fine measurements -- he trusted a properly used torque wrench, apparently.

And old style oil wars and torque wars are not about being stupid, it is about finding out the truth as best we (the big we, the all of us we) can determine.

The list, as a whole is composed of some very talented people.   Don't assume somebody's background unless they give it to you, most of us are college or better educated and there are some fairly smart people on here.  Auto Mechanics, Engineers, Quality Engineers, Six Sigma Black Belts, Building Inspectors, Municipal Engineers,  etc.

The list as a whole is a pretty durn smart critter, as you will note if you watch us in motion.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:09:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anything!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.