Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anything! (Read 1052 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anyth
Reply #60 - 08/17/16 at 10:37:00

Kenny G wrote on 08/17/16 at 07:53:16:
Justin,

When anything irritates you as much as The Kid does it would be a good idea to ignore him. I would hate to lose your knowledge and wit on the forum.

His parents are still waiting on the call from the hospital to confirm the mix-up.

Kenny G

Oh... I thought you always meant the call from the hospital to find out I was dead... Huh

Mix-up... Okay...  Undecided I guess that would actually be a little funny.  Undecided

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 08/17/16 at 10:42:43

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/17/16 at 10:21:32:
Well, a T-bolt would have been a better idea. No, it wasn't the problem, but it might reduce a little of the metal denting/shearing problems in the hub.

So you think that Suzuki should have used a T-Bolt....so that when you use it for to mount a sprocket that was never made for the bike......or you over torque it - it has a better chance to withstand the abuse?

I can't wait to see how well your clutch works when you leave out those pesky metal rings, or add a couple of Kevlar plates....Suzuki most likely didn't have a clue what they where doing when they designed the clutch or put those extra parts in there.

I have no problem with you trying to fix your bike, and learning new skills along the way.  I do believe you have had to go much deeper than your tools/skills allow - it is a shame you got a motorcycle that hasn't been very reliable, and that you don't have any skilled mechanics in the family to help you learn.

What I find aggravating is that you try to blame the engineer/manufacturer/mechanic for building it wrong, wanting too much money for everything, and generally not doing a good job.  Even with your very limited experience....you feel that you have the ability to mix chemicals, and add/remove parts ithat will result in better and cheaper stuff than the professionals can create with their vast resources.  I also find it aggravating that you are so slow to take good advice....either from the experienced folks on this forum....or the Clymer manual.

I'm going over and stand next to JOG for a while.....and just watch the show.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #62 - 08/17/16 at 12:38:29

Dave , The screaming marmut is freakin funny !!!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #63 - 08/17/16 at 12:48:33

Man, I thought we had this topic wrapped up within the first couple of pages!  

Carry on... Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #64 - 08/17/16 at 13:33:27

Now, I could throw the engine back into the frame, put the 5 remaining sprocket bolts back on, and mount the chain so I can put the clutch assembly back on and tighten up the front sprocket... prett

Am I to understand that you installed and torqued
One bolt?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #65 - 08/17/16 at 13:35:50

I gotta Git me onna them Marmot things. I would build a Ride Along box for him to stand up in and train him to scream every time he saw a cell phone or someone doing anything STEWPID.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #66 - 08/17/16 at 15:05:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/17/16 at 13:35:50:
I gotta Git me onna them Marmot things. I would build a Ride Along box for him to stand up in and train him to scream every time he saw a cell phone or someone doing anything STEWPID.

Just mount a laser on his head and have him do something useful.
like melting cell phones, lip stick cases, shavers and the like.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #67 - 08/17/16 at 18:35:30

I saw a guy reading a book while driving yesterday. Today, I saw a woman taking selfies at 70 mph.

Huh Roll Eyes

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 08/18/16 at 03:10:49

Kris01 wrote on 08/17/16 at 18:35:30:
I saw a guy reading a book while driving yesterday. Today, I saw a woman taking selfies at 70 mph.

Huh Roll Eyes

If I leave home just a bit later than normal in the morning, I sometimes pass a fellow that is driving about 45 mph on a 55 mph road (everyone goes 60 mph), and this fellow has a book in his hand and is resting it on the steering wheel.  His glasses are down on his nose, and he peers down through his glasses to read....and occasionally looks over his glasses at traffic.  I guess he believes he is not a hazard!?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #69 - 08/18/16 at 05:31:36

And we thought cell phones were bad!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #70 - 08/18/16 at 07:34:19

Would it be a bit hypocritical to take a picture of someone doing these awful things?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #71 - 08/18/16 at 07:35:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/17/16 at 13:33:27:
Now, I could throw the engine back into the frame, put the 5 remaining sprocket bolts back on, and mount the chain so I can put the clutch assembly back on and tighten up the front sprocket... prett

Am I to understand that you installed and torqued
One bolt?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #72 - 08/18/16 at 08:47:31

No, I had torqued all of them and stripped one. I removed them all afterwards.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #73 - 08/18/16 at 10:04:27

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/18/16 at 08:47:31:
No, I had torqued all of them and stripped one. I removed them all afterwards.

And, once again, the details come out.

After how long?

So, was there anything done differently with the one that stripped?
Were they all torqued in stages?
I'm guessing not.

Here is something for the inexperienced.

When assembling things, get all the bolts started.
Then, gently snug them, working a pattern. A head on a V8 has a different pattern than a wheel, but the concept is the same. On a sprocket, I would not even use a torque wrench. I know what Tight feels like. But I Would get all the bolts in, snug in a crossing pattern and continue In that pattern gradually increasing the torque until I Felt the bolts come tight. If I knew that they were Supposed to be able to Take 45pounds I would be looking at the effort I was putting out and length of the ratchet and maybe even add a cheater pipe to make it easier for me.
Six bolts ,, consider the Clamping Force of six bolts. The thread angle of the bolts, the finer the thread, the less angle. So, a fine thread with a given torque will clamp tighter than a coarse thread with the same torque, all else being equal.
Take six bolts, and think about just how hard it will be to make sure that sprocket is not gonna move.
What kinda power is it getting?
What was the
Recommended Torque you were given?Usually, it's a range, not a specific target. On the Savage the torque specs are often very wide. Just because a torque spec is listed in a book doesn't mean that a torque wrench is needed.

That
It just got easier to turn
Feeling?
You don't know it yet but your body learned what it feels like Just as it starts. Do that a few more times and You will develop the feel of a bolt coming to its full potential and more isn't better..

Now, is it possible that you got a bolt that just wasn't as strong as the others?
Yep,, could be. Some stuff just isn't up to snuff. But greasing up threads reduces rotational friction which requires less Torque to achieve the clamping force. And invites stripping threads.

So,
What went wrong?
What have you learned from it?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #74 - 08/18/16 at 12:03:17

Sorry, I'm late to the party. The title of this thread hurts my head. So much stupid. Weapons-grade stupid. Really, it's about the dumbest thing I've ever read. It's completely insulting to everyone that has an engineering degree or has personal success as a repairmen/mechanic.

Now, with that out of the way...

Not every baby turtle makes it back to the sea. In that vein, repairing, a complicated mechanical device like a motorcycle isn't something that everyone can successfully undertake. Some owners should just go to a qualified mechanic.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 22:19:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anything!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.