Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anything! (Read 1052 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anything!
08/15/16 at 10:01:56

Was torquing my rear sprocket today, and I was torquing them to 45 ft. lbs. which is within specs.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098848534

I had two torque wrenches, an old fashioned needle type and a clicker type. I was using the clicker type last when one of the nuts turned more than expected. No clicky, clicky....Turned some more, still no clicky, clicky. I was concerned. Eventually, I went ahead and removed it. What did I find? Smashed threads. It had been overtorqued. The bolts were lubricated. What went wrong? I'm going to back the rest off to no more than 40 and, if I can find them. chase the threads, put it back on, torque it gently below spec., and buy another nut and bolt for later install after I get it on the road. In the process of removing it, I screwed up and sheared a bit of the aluminum ridge that holds the bolt. It ought to be okay... Undecided

And, I thought I would get it running soon.  Sad Maybe I will??? Can I get by with one bolt out or undertorqued?

Maybe I should think twice before torquing that front pulley nut to 100 ft lbs, lest I ruin the whole engine!

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anyth
Reply #1 - 08/15/16 at 10:33:26

If you are using a 150 ft/lb torque wrench, they don't work very well at lower torque settings....sometimes it is nearly impossible to hear/feel the click (especially if they are not a high quality wrench).

If you have a cheap wrench.....use the dial one for the lower torque values.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 08/15/16 at 10:35:12

I think I found out what is wrong. Can you see it? I may order all new bolts and nuts. I'm thinking of sourcing them from a fastener company instead of oem. Okay, ain't it?

CAM00416.jpg

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 08/15/16 at 10:35:40

CAM00413.jpg

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 08/15/16 at 10:36:26

CAM00414.jpg

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 - 08/15/16 at 10:38:35

Dave wrote on 08/15/16 at 10:33:26:
If you have a cheap wrench....

I think that's pretty much guaranteed.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 08/15/16 at 10:53:00

Dave wrote on 08/15/16 at 10:33:26:
If you are using a 150 ft/lb torque wrench, they don't work very well at lower torque settings....sometimes it is nearly impossible to hear/feel the click (especially if they are not a high quality wrench).

If you have a cheap wrench.....use the dial one for the lower torque values.

Thanks for the advice. Could it be that I just barely ran out of threads, and stripped it? Shouldn't it have still torqued, or not? That's what the picture shows. Did the other chain conversions use flat washers?

I'm thinking about ordering some more bolts. It'll probably be $12+ for OEM bolts, not including nuts. I found that my local fastener place can't get square heads in metric.  Roll Eyes Should I do that, assuming that I may have weakened the other bolts as well? Could I repair the stripped one with tap and die and make do?  Huh Is it too dangerous?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 08/15/16 at 11:04:13

It's a Craftsman Microtork 150 ft lb. He bought it at least 10-15 yrs ago when I was a kid. I remember we used it to overhaul a tractor engine long ago (probably when it was new or close to it), and that old tractor ran very well.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/15/16 at 11:18:42

Mine is a Craftsman 150 ft/lbs, and I have trouble with anything less than 60 ft/lbs.....it just won't click reliably at lower settings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 08/15/16 at 11:46:45

Dad's had it for awhile. He has another one that might be rated for 200. He has always pooh-poohed his dial wrenches in favor of the clickers.  He just didn't seem to like 'em or want to use 'em. Now I know better.  Wink

So, I'll be better off with the other one you say? It's 150 lbs too, but I take it that it is simply more reliable at lower torques? It looks like it works by simple leverage. I'm guessing the tempered needle is attached somehow to the handle and the head pushes near its base, flexing it very slightly at its base, but alot at the tip. Am I correct? I can say that it seems that one is more in tune with things with this old-fashioned style piece than the clicker. You can tell what you're doing, just as long as your in position to read the dial. The clicker is confusing... trickery... You expect it to break away (the click is not always audible, but you feel it) at the torque you want, but when it doesn't, bad things happen because you're relying on it to click rather than paying attention to your own perception of what's going on. The clicker dulls the senses a bit. Agreed?

The clickers are good for fast work because the ratchet, and you don't have to go slow and watch the dial, right? Keep talking... This torque wrench discussion is interesting. The old fashioned beats the high-tech?

I'm figuring that if I used a clicker, I would have been better off with a 3/8 inch drive with high inch pound rating, yes? I had to use an adapter to go to 3/8 inch drive anyway. It seems that 3/8 torque wrench would naturally fit the torque range, right? I only had a 1/4 inch drive that ran up to 200 inch pounds, and then the 1/2 inch ones.

Do you think that 1/4 incher will work okay for the clutch cover bolts? I can click it with my bare hands at the lower settings. Its a taiwan no-namer job. Don't want to ruin those bolts either....

CAM00422.jpg

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 08/15/16 at 11:55:08

CAM00427.jpg

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 08/15/16 at 12:20:29

What did you lubricate the threads with?  

I never lubricate smaller nuts and bolts with anything more than a drop of Locktite.  Makes it too easy to over-torque and damage threads.  Dry threads produce more accurate readings unless the specs call for lubrication.  When threads are lubricated, it reduces the amount of torque required to achieve the desired amount to "stretch" on the bolt.  So if you torque lubricated bolts to spec, you are almost always over-torquing them.

Read these:

http://benmlee.com/4runner/threads/threads.htm

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/25/ask-kevin-if-i-lubricate-threads-or-use-...

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/15/16 at 10:01:56:
Was torquing my rear sprocket today...No clicky, clicky....Turned some more, still no clicky, clicky... It had been overtorqued. The bolts were lubricated. What went wrong?  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 08/15/16 at 12:26:00

Also, when doing conversions or making modifications, make sure you never "bottom out" the bolt.  That's a good way to strip things out.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 08/15/16 at 12:32:39

cheapnewb24 wrote on 08/15/16 at 10:53:00:
...Could it be that I just barely ran out of threads, and stripped it?

Looks like you might have.  I'd replace all of those fasteners.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 08/15/16 at 12:37:37

Remember cross threading is better than loctite !
LMFAO

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:03:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Don't trust torque specs, wrenches... or anything!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.