Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bar clamp and riser setup (Read 263 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
bar clamp and riser setup
08/12/16 at 15:32:56

looking at the OEM diagram for the S40 (with the pullback risers and drag bars) (http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2008-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m147543...) it shows a threaded post coming out the bottom of the pullback riser spacer and a nut that attaches from the bottom.  I'm at work and have a pdf of Clymers and it shows the bar clamp/stubby riser has a through bolt that threads into the top of the riser extension.  Anyone know if the through bolt and the threaded lug on the spacers are the same size and if it's 10mm?
I'm looking at getting spacers made or using deep sockets but want to know how it's all put together there first.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: bar clamp and riser setup
Reply #1 - 08/12/16 at 15:57:14

You can use 10mm or 3/8" thru bolt.
If you're using 3/8" drive sockets, use the 3/8" bolt.
10mm don't fit.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 08/12/16 at 17:01:56

In answer to your question. The bolts at the top are 10mm x 1.25 pitch, just like the bottom bolts.
3/8" U.S. bolts are a bit smaller. The assembly is better if you use metric bolts. Less wobble, but if you are not too fussy the 3/8" size works.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 08/12/16 at 17:08:29

As a matter of fact, Versy made me some risers, 3", for just what you are talking about. They work very well, not too radical but enough of a change to be noticeable. Plus if you think a bit more is necessary they can be cut down a bit more as long as the bars don't hit the tank. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 08/15/16 at 08:18:04

norm, do you have a pic of those risers?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 08/15/16 at 08:42:03

question for those who have changed the risers:
Were you able to find 6" hardened steel bolts with hex cap heads?  The Ace near me doesn't have them and they are usually great for hardware.
If not, how did you tighten things down using a hex head bolt?  Since the bolt head is recessed in the bottom of the clamp, it looks like the only way to hold it while tightening the nut below is to wedge a flat blade screwdriver against one of the sides of the hex and this seems like it might mar the aluminum on the clamp.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/15/16 at 08:45:27

Tocsik,

Go to an industrial nut and bolt supply house and you should be able to pickup the bolts that you need.

Probably Fastenal can order them.

Kenny G

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 08/15/16 at 08:59:40

Tocsic,
Here you go. The bolts I used are from Tractor Supply 3/8" x 6" 96 cents including nuts. Hex head and they were no problem to tighten. I may change them to metric later.

riser.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/15/16 at 09:10:15

If you have the new style bar clamp, then you have to use an allen head bolt (I don't have any so? )
Allen head bolts by default are of a higher grade material then standard bolts.

If you have the old style, they have a socket for the hex head bolts.
Clamp a bar in there and it won't turn.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 08/15/16 at 09:18:41

FWIW.
The risers feel a lot more natural to me. More involved, not perched on the bike. Also I believe less mirror vibration and a side benefit is less weight on my tailbone so the seat feels a bit more comfortable. I think it is a worthwhile mod for minimum expense. Smiley

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 08/15/16 at 09:34:51

Versy,
Can you make the risers with each end tapped M10X1.25 to a depth of about 25mm?  If so, the stock hardware can be used up top and then we could just get short bolts for the bottom.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/15/16 at 09:59:43

While I could, I don't think it's in your best interest.
Those risers have a integral stud to have a more reliable connection.
Putting threads in the spacer would put threads at the most likely place to bend and someplace down the line break.

Since the bar clamp has a bridge that connects both sides, you can assemble the risers w/out the bar attached.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 08/15/16 at 10:06:11

Gotcha.  Just struggling to find 6" or 150mm socket cap screws.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 08/15/16 at 10:09:40

norm, I see your bike is a 2014.  How did you tighten down the hex head bolts up top?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 08/15/16 at 10:58:28

Tocsic,
I had no problem, the hex bolts didn't try to move. I had it off twice and just used a 14mm wrench at the bottom only.

I have found some SS socket head bolts locally that are 160mm long I may buy those but the cheapo 3/8" bolts seem to be working fine.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:25:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bar clamp and riser setup

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.