Send Topic Print
Battery replacement (Read 258 times)
JIbber Jabber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery replacement
08/26/16 at 15:08:29

I have my bike for only 6-7 months, but I did not ride it the last two months, because I was away for the summer. I had someone start it up a month ago and it started right up. I have since returned and attempted to go for a ride today, but noticed the ignition switch was in the park position, I knew right away the battery would be dead. I took it out and brought it to the shop, they told me the battery is dead and I need to replace it!

So my questions are as follows:
1) does that even make sense, being that it is relatively new? is the shop jipping me into buying a new one?
2) if yes, which battery do you guys recommend as a replacement?
3) is there anyway I can prevent this from happening again? (I don't mean not leaving it park, that much I know, but rather how to prevent full drainage of battery, e.g battery tender, type etc.)

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Battery replacement
Reply #1 - 08/26/16 at 19:00:40

Once drained that far for that long, I wouldn't trust it even if it would hold a charge. Get a new one! Someone else may suggest a good brand.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 08/26/16 at 19:14:36

Yes, that makes perfect sense.  Putting it on a battery tender would only help if the tender is charging faster than the battery is draining via lights.  Since nobody uses park position anyways, you could disable that part of the ignition switch.  You'd need a wiring diagram, the ability to read it, and the confidence to cut a wire or two.

Maybe you could rewire the horn to the park position so that if the key gets turned the wrong way the bike beeps at you!  Grin

I recently put a Shorai lithium battery in mine. It's tiny but powerful. My other bike has a nifty lithium battery from "stark power." It's a smart battery that shuts off power to the system if you've drained it too low.  It saves enough juice to start the bike. It DOES WORK, but stark stopped making and selling these batteries...   Huh

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/26/16 at 19:28:58

New battery time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 08/26/16 at 19:33:37

Here's a 2007-2009 diagram. If your year is different the colors may not be the same but the wiring should be the same.

[edit: Hmmm, it didn't go through. Let's try and upload the pic again!]
« Last Edit: 08/27/16 at 15:19:11 by Kris01 »  

2007-2009_Wiring_Diagram_004.jpg

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/27/16 at 06:25:51

AGM batteries are good. If you are buying locally, you can find good online coupons for advance auto. Order online with coupon and pickup in store. I've gotten up to 30 - 40% off. Think I got a $90 AGM for $60.

MAKE SURE TO TEST ANY NEW BATTERY BEFORE YOU LEAVE  THE STORE. New batteries can be faulty and will drive you nuts.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 08/28/16 at 18:22:25

I just bought a Parts Unlimited battery for my Honda GL500. The battery can be accessed and removed in 5 minutes, so checking electrolyte is not as hard as the 650. PLUS the warranty is better than Yuasa on most of these.
No matter what you buy, at least put it on a charger BEFORE you use it. While a battery won't reach 100% charge after being sucked flat, I try them on a car charger anyway. It usually works for a year or so. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Camace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #7 - 08/28/16 at 19:16:56

to your point 3, disconnect the battery if you are leaving it sit for a long Period of time(ie the winter), or alternatively add in a kill switch that dissconects the battery.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/29/16 at 11:25:09

I like Big Crank.  They have lasted very well for me!!

http://www.batterymart.com/c-suzuki-l650-savage-all-battery.html

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 08/29/16 at 13:00:57

I don't know if MOTOBATT brand is sold in your country, but if it is don't buy it. The recommended MOTOBATT battery for an S40/Savage Won't go in a stock battery box.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/29/16 at 14:29:05

So? What do you WANT? You don't expect it to fit, do you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 08/29/16 at 17:29:00

Yes JOG, I did expect it to fit, because it said so on the box. I was more than somewhat annoyed when it didn't, and opted for the standard Yuasa lead acid thing.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/30/16 at 04:08:14

I suppose that Would be a moment, open up the box, get it all ready and Shazzam,, she no fit.. And go back, look at the website, look at the order, look at the battery, and

IT'S NOT GONNA FIT,,  

Crappola,,

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/30/16 at 10:28:22

No fit?  Get a hammer.

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #14 - 08/30/16 at 10:41:52

or crowbar....

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:09:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.