Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
anyone else disappointed with the dyna muffler?? (Read 223 times)
pyke13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

anyone else disappointed with the dyna muffler??
08/08/16 at 14:01:26

i changed my muffler to the one of a harley sportster, it bolted straight on no problem. it looks better than my old muffler and the bike is running better.

so what am i disappointed about you ask? its far to quiet yet ive read so many posts about these exhausts being loud

how do i make this thing louder?
i dont want it no muffler loud but i do want it a bit louder than it is, any suggestions

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: anyone else disappointed with the dyna muffler
Reply #1 - 08/08/16 at 14:12:30

You can take a long drill and make a small hole in the steel "plug" that is located in the center of the muffler.  I would start with a small hole about 1/4" in diameter....and make the hole little bigger if you need more noise.

You can use one of the stepped Uni-Bit type drills with an extension rod to get up far enough.  You might need to make sleeve, or use some conduit to help you keep the bit centered when you drill the first hole.  You won't have to remove the muffler to drill the hole.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pyke13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/08/16 at 14:26:13

wont that just mess up the fueling? it did on my old exhaust. may just have to live with it

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/08/16 at 14:29:57

I am not promoting "louder pipes", as I believe the DYNA muffler is loud enough to keep the general population (non-bikers) from being upset when you ride past - however you could likely get a bit more sound without being too obnoxious.

If you only drill a small hole, it should not upset the jetting too much.  Start small, like maybe 3/16" or 1/4", and I would think that 1/2" might be too big.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/08/16 at 14:58:43

Dangit...now y'all got me thinking again...which is very painful!  

If I have a DYNA with the CAT that is assumingly providing a wee bit extra back pressure versus a non CAT muffler AND I wouldn't mind a wee bit more "loud" (not ridiculous loud...I don't like that either) then I can probably afford to drill a 1/4" hole in the baffle and get a little noise with no ill effects on the running/jetting?  It ran perfect before and after the DYNA install.  It had already been rejetted with the stock muffler for optimum running and that seemed to have translated over perfectly to the DYNA.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 08/08/16 at 16:39:02

I had first tried the Emgo shorty megaphone (think Ryca). That little thing was loud. I could live with it, but I didn't want to inflict it on others around me. The stock Dyna muffler was a little too quiet for me. I solved the issue with a 1/2" drill bit and an extension bit. I stuck it up the tailpipe and drilled a hole in the Dyna baffle. The result was a nice Dyna sound with just a little more bark.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 08/08/16 at 17:00:35

I tried a 1/2" hole in a dyna  with the result of haveing to rejet , as I had aready gone to larger jets and my bike was running well I changed it back. I think if your are going to drill you should do as Dave advised and start with a very small hole and test ride before drilling larger. Be carefull of making it to loud you may want to hear your grandkids call you "poppy" someday!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 08/08/16 at 19:32:11

pyke13 wrote on 08/08/16 at 14:01:26:
its far to quiet yet ive read so many posts about these exhausts being loud

Where? All the people that have 'em say they are slightly louder than stock, not loud. I have one and it's loud enough.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 08/08/16 at 21:47:27

stock dyna is perfect compromise between loud/not loud !   plus it looks cool ! Cool

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 08/10/16 at 15:07:36

PYke, I remember now ! Your the guy who had to pop rivet the holes closed in your stock muffler to get your bike to even run! Now your heading back into that realm again? Shame ,Shame!

IP Logged
pyke13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/11/16 at 14:56:02

nope nope, been there done that. not going there again

IP Logged
pyke13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/11/16 at 14:58:55

once bitten twice shy n all that, it wasnt me suggesting to drill holes in the baffle plate this time. anyway ive got bigger bike issues to worry about atm!!

im guessing there shouldnt be oil spraying onto my left shin. think im going back to 4 cylinders

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/11/16 at 17:14:35

Pyke ,just a guess left shin! could be coming from the head bolt,the nut dead center in the front U N D E R side of the head just where the head and cyl. meet. (clean of the oil put on some high temp  rtv,torque to 20 ftlbs.) And don't be trying to get 60mph out of second gear it takes the oil pressure to the moon,hence oil leaks!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #13 - 08/11/16 at 18:09:14

I used stock for little while then wanted louder so I got a Jardine.
I got bored so I debaffled the jardine...
https://youtu.be/A5ZwoH_GxfU
i put the baffle back in then sold it.
I bought the dyna but it was definitely too quiet so I stepped up to a Mac perforance, full baffled sound great..
https://youtu.be/ct0gefwRxAY

Sold the bike but still trying to get rid of the slipon
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/VduBpl/For%20Sale/20150901_203122_zps6...

IP Logged
pyke13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/13/16 at 05:18:23

batman wrote on 08/11/16 at 17:14:35:
Pyke ,just a guess left shin! could be coming from the head bolt,the nut dead center in the front U N D E R side of the head just where the head and cyl. meet. (clean of the oil put on some high temp  rtv,torque to 20 ftlbs.) And don't be trying to get 60mph out of second gear it takes the oil pressure to the moon,hence oil leaks!

wasnt 60 in second thats caused it, even though i do ride her hard.
think its more the 280 mile round trip sitting at 70-75 all the way.

the oil is leaking from where the head meets the barrel. i was thinking blown head gasket but its running fine so im a bit confused by it. will start a thread about it and post pics as soon as i work out how to do the pics

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:10:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › anyone else disappointed with the dyna muffler??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.