Send Topic Print
newb problems (Read 313 times)
09S40X
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

newb problems
07/28/16 at 14:24:47

first off hello everyone, thanks for letting me be a part of suzukisavage.com I just purchased an 09 s40 it is my very first bike and I am  a newb.  first off it has 3800 miles and was straight piped when I got it, its really clean.  I then drove it for a week then changed the oil  and filter I used a k&n filter and mobil1 racing 4t 10w-40, the next day I put back on the factory muffler but tore out the main rear baffle first and im happy with the way it sounds.  the next day it was harder to start, it used to fire right up with no choke, then 2 miles on my way to work it spits and sputters and dies and wont restart, 45 min later I get it to work and it fires right up, I let it sit until lunch let idle for 10 min went to go home it did it 1 mile into that trip and had to walk it back to work. I work at a dodge dealership in Idaho and have some knowledgeable technicians I have been consulting with. I then removed the carb and one of my technicians noticed the slide was sticking and cleaned it, so I put it back together and installed a k&n air filter at that time since I had it all apart, it then ran great for a week back and forth to work 3 miles one way and went on a 25mile ride during that time and was really happy with the way it rode, it has been harder to start though, I have had to use the choke when i didn't have to before, then was doing the same thing again yesterday a week later, but it would re start if it was choked then putter out again, I read about the hidden air fuel screw removed the cap and adjusted 1/2 turn out and no change, went all the way in then out 1 1/2 turns no change, out another 1/2 turn no change, then realized yesterday that the manual I downloaded was wrong about oil capacity, I put in 2.5 quarts like it said, it looked like It was just over the inspection window so I thought the level would be ok until I found out the right oil capacity, I drained it to the right level this morning and pulled the carb again to have one of my technicians inspect, as I said I am new to this whole bike thing and would like any recommendations on what I need to do to get it to run right and also any first timer tips on anything so I can make this the best bike as possible, I really hope I didn't f this thing up already with overfilling the oil, and the changes I have made I know have oil film on my rear fender im guessing from overfilling the oil, I hope I haven't blown any seals, I haven't seen any drips anywhere. please help. I really appreciate any input from you professionals here thank you I am looking forward to future upgrades and learning about this great bike I purchased I really like riding it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: newb problems
Reply #1 - 07/28/16 at 14:35:56

welcome to the madness.

I suspect your issue is the petcock.
The vac operated petcock gets real touchy when the intake and exhaust are modified.

check out the tech section index for petcock test.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/28/16 at 14:57:48

Welcome!

...and if it is the petcock, your choice is to replace it with the raptor or you can get a rebuild kit for the stock petcock for about $20.  Most here will encourage you to go with the raptor upgrade to eliminate any future issues with the stock vacuum driven petcock.

However, a rebuild kit may not do you any good since you are dealing with a bike that has had the exhaust, etc. modified so a raptor may be what you need.

p.s. I rebuilt mine versus getting the raptor (my exhaust ISN'T modified)...and I catch he11 for it (in a fun way, not meanness).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/28/16 at 15:08:46

another BIG benefit of the RaptorPC is tank removal.  Just flip the lever to 'off', disconnect the fuel line and that's it.  Barely a drop spills and you don't have to drain the tank every time you remove it.  Which can be a lot.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/28/16 at 18:29:20

you could see if it runs in the prime ,without dying,what kind of K&N ?Slip in or cone filter?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 07/29/16 at 07:23:31

Try running it on prime.  If it runs fine there and not fine on on or reserve, you've probably got petcock problems.

Also check out the recommended oils http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
09S40X
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/29/16 at 15:25:17

madness it is! thanks for all the input, I used a slip in k&n filter, and am now doing the prime test and it seems to run great right now and I have a raptor on order, thanks all for your help

IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/31/16 at 13:41:55

This may seem obvious, when you fit the Raptor tap don't forget to block the vacuum tube inlet on the carb.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 08/02/16 at 22:24:39

Maker sure you have the right Raptor, there are several. The techies here will advise the correct Raptor part number.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #9 - 08/03/16 at 06:08:03

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/03/16 at 07:39:20

And that $19.95 jobbie online is a look alike with tiny fuel line connections. Support your local economy, go to the store..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 08/03/16 at 20:19:37

As far as I'm aware, the Yamaha part number for the 660 Raptor petcock is 5LP-24500-01

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
09S40X
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/24/16 at 10:43:29

so everything is working great now, new raptor, and have the air screw 1/2 turn out seems to run fine right now, im thinking I will re jet during the winter time, but now having problems with aftermarket turn signals, I cant seem to wire the rear through the fender without drilling holes in my fender, I have added the fender struts as my bike did not come with them or turn signals any tips would be appreciated

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 08/24/16 at 11:19:25

I had to relocate my rear turn signals and drilled a new hole behind the existing one, fitted it with a rubber wiring hole grommet, and it works well.  Existing hole on front side, new hole on rear side.

Just be careful when drilling that you put a block under the fender so you don't drill into your tire! Also, make sure you leave about 1/2" between the two holes so there is still a decent piece of fender there between them that won't bend or break.

IMG_20160507_130457.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 08/24/16 at 11:24:20

...but your desired end result may be something different.  Here is what I was wiring for:

IMG_20160511_080608_1.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › newb problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.