Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike runs better on some days (Read 111 times)
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Bike runs better on some days
07/24/16 at 20:00:54

Hi. Suzuki S40, new 2014, 3100 miles. Bone stock. So I was riding today. The weather was hot as blazes, humidity way up, ozone bubble, the works. Went for a fairly long ride; the bike needed no warm up and was silky smooth the entire ride. I don't mean the growling/rumbling went away; it's just that there was no slight jerking sometimes or odd Thumper behaviors.

So other type days I'll have to warm the bike and it will be balky for a mile or so before it gets it's first wind.

What gives? Atmospheric conditions affecting carbureted bikes? Just curious. Oh, and I use 89 octane gas.

david

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Bike runs better on some days
Reply #1 - 07/24/16 at 20:21:47

Most modern bikes run lean. IE not enough fuel for the amount of gas. Lean means the motor has to warm up a lot to have a hot enough combustion chamber to atomize the fuel and burn well.
So the hot weather helps the bikes run better (until they overheat).
Humid day means more water in the air, displacing the oxygen. This makes for a richer mixture.
Kinda the way it works.
Reset the carb and have a happier bike  Wink

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 07/24/16 at 20:51:02

Yep, the surging you experience is because you're running lean. You need to rejet a little richer for a smoother running bike.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 07/24/16 at 20:52:40

Armen wrote on 07/24/16 at 20:21:47:
Most modern bikes run lean. IE not enough fuel for the amount of gas.

I think you mean air!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Garry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/24/16 at 22:29:08

Lots of things affect a carb bike. Atmospheric pressure, wind direction ( you might not realise you are riding into a slight side wind but it does make a performance difference) and temperature. Manufacturers tune bikes to run properly at sea level and 24 degrees C. Anything different to that and it won't run perfectly without some resetting! I also think your attitude on the day also makes a difference in how you perceive the bike to be running. I know mine seems to run better on certain days!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 07/24/16 at 23:11:11

Youngde,you should go to the tech section ,fuel& exhaust,reading through the topics will give you the knowledge to tune your carb,allowing your bike to run much smoother.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/25/16 at 09:11:34

Once you get it jetted
Right
It's Still gonna run better or worse depending on temperature,humidity, barometric pressure.
That's why, back in carburetor days, drag racers were forever rejetting.
You're needing to find the jetting that works best for your
Elevation and typical atmospheric conditions.
I'm just smart enough to grasp That.
There are people here who can actually help you do that.
One DAY, ONE, day, mine was just Running like a scalded dawg,
And I was on I 20, on a cement section, and it busted through the 100 MPH mark.. Right conditions,
A carburetor IS a crude fuel metering device. An infernal combustible engine IS a crude animal. Considering how they work it's kinda miraculous that they don't self destruct in about five minutes.
Think abowdit, you've got an aluminium slug on a stick flying up and down in a cylinder. Up at the top, you've got rings. The top ring is designed to press out, it's edge tapered, literally designed to scrape at the cylinder, but somehow, through metallurgy and lubrication wizardry, they don't gall together and screech to a halt. The ring, so well designed, does wipe the cylinder and seal pretty well, is seated by the pressure of combustion, and moves down the cylinder without trying to remove material, it's just beautiful,,, but they Should die,, it's just Too Harsh of an environment and the parts should eat each other.. But, they run and run... And I just love them.

Get yourself jetted.
Find out what your elevation is. Tell us. Where you are, what is your average day like. Summa these guys are fluent in jetting.
I still need a translator.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 07/25/16 at 19:18:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/25/16 at 09:11:34:
Once you get it jetted
Right
It's Still gonna run better or worse depending on temperature,humidity, barometric pressure.
That's why, back in carburetor days, drag racers were forever rejetting.
You're needing to find the jetting that works best for your
Elevation and typical atmospheric conditions.
I'm just smart enough to grasp That.
There are people here who can actually help you do that.
One DAY, ONE, day, mine was just Running like a scalded dawg,
And I was on I 20, on a cement section, and it busted through the 100 MPH mark.. Right conditions,
A carburetor IS a crude fuel metering device. An infernal combustible engine IS a crude animal. Considering how they work it's kinda miraculous that they don't self destruct in about five minutes.
Think abowdit, you've got an aluminium slug on a stick flying up and down in a cylinder. Up at the top, you've got rings. The top ring is designed to press out, it's edge tapered, literally designed to scrape at the cylinder, but somehow, through metallurgy and lubrication wizardry, they don't gall together and screech to a halt. The ring, so well designed, does wipe the cylinder and seal pretty well, is seated by the pressure of combustion, and moves down the cylinder without trying to remove material, it's just beautiful,,, but they Should die,, it's just Too Harsh of an environment and the parts should eat each other.. But, they run and run... And I just love them.

Get yourself jetted.
Find out what your elevation is. Tell us. Where you are, what is your average day like. Summa these guys are fluent in jetting.
I still need a translator.

JOG you're scarein' the heck out of me!your goin' give this newbie nightmares!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 07/25/16 at 19:38:15

Hi Batman and JOG. Great comments; thanks. Ok, Raleigh, NC is at 315' above sea level. Our temps are: hot in the summer (high 80's to high 90's, with typically mid-to-high humidity), not too bad generally in the winter (yes, I'll ride then too) -- 30s to 40s for a few of the colder months. I just guessing from experience here; no scientific data to back it up other than the sea level height.

The bike seems to run better in high heat/high humidity days. A little less so on those dryer warm days we get occasionally What do you think? Serious rejetting needed or something less onerous.

I typically stay in the Raleigh area with a planned trip to the mountains sometime relatively soon

So I'm interested in a rejetting kit that would accommodate my riding conditions.Thanks.

By the may. I did mention the S40 is bone stock, with the exception of a battery tender. Thanks for the information.

david

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/25/16 at 19:57:36

Ohh, I don't know the answers, just the questions to ask so the carb guys have what they need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/26/16 at 06:37:33

The temperature and humidity affect the way an engine runs, and cold dry air makes the most power when the engine is jetted properly.  Folks who race are constantly changing the jetting to work with the atmospheric conditions during the race.

You don't have to be that fussy, and a good jetting change will work in most conditions just fine - I don't know of anybody that changes jetting to suit the weather on a street bike.

I ride in very similar conditions as you 500 - 800 elevation.  A #150 main jet, # 50 or #52.5 pilot jet, and 3 washers on the needle are a very good place to start.  If you have a lean surge just off idle.....then remove 1 washer on the needle and use 2 washers.

I have had this combination at the TN/NC rides and when you get up to 5,000 feet it might be running a bit rich - but not so much that you need to make any changes for that 15 minutes that you are up at that elevation!

(The one exception that I might consider about rejetting - is that if you live at 6,000 feet and above and have jetted for those conditions....it might be worth a jetting change if you are going on a long tour to a much lower elevation, as the bike will be running leaner when you drop down to the low elevations).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youngde811
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #11 - 07/27/16 at 18:24:01

Thanks everyone. Good information. So today was hot/humid (heat index 102 degrees) and the bike ran *really* well. It seems to love this weather. When I get ready to re-jet the carburetor I'll be here with questions. Thanks again.

David

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:38:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike runs better on some days

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.