Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I see the light!!! (carb problem) (Read 172 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
I see the light!!! (carb problem)
07/24/16 at 14:02:38

And, in the pictures, you can see the light too!
The problem is.. you shouldn't.
This is the 2nd time Thumper has developed cracks in the slider diaphragm.  I can't remember the miles when it first happened.  Maybe Lancer has a date of when he sold me one I replaced it with, then I can cross it back to my oil change log.

Versy..  I see from way back when that you fixed yours with some kind of goop: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438491696

How did that work out for you?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I see the light!!! (carb problem)
Reply #1 - 07/24/16 at 14:11:44

you got some odd looking puckering going on.
which is the reason for your holes
and those are a lot larger then what I had.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/24/16 at 14:21:06

The puckering isn't as bad as the pictures show.  I just think it is old age.  I'm guessing 75k miles since I changed it last time.  
I will just bit the bullet and order new OEM .. appx $128

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 07/24/16 at 15:30:05

Youzguyz, With the kind of miles you roll,and the heat in texas,I think you should go for the new one.If you repair,and it fails on the road......? I don't know if you use Ron Ayers but the number is 13500-24BO and you were right on with price $128.37

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/24/16 at 17:48:21

Food For Thought

Guyz, When it starts to get that expensive to repair, would it pay to purchase a different kind of carburetor?

I know in years past I had Mikuni carbs that didn't have rubber diaphragms. I have recently spoken to Lancer about the possibility of putting a Lectron Carburetor on my S40

I am not sure that spending $500.00 to save $128.00 is a wise investment.

Kenny

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/24/16 at 18:06:05

75000 miles/$128.00= lotsa. miles per dollar
I'd be happy with it..
And how many more hunnert thousand miles is it gonna run before the chass, seat, everything is just tired?
One day you Might just wanna hang it from the rafters and call it a trophy.
Maybe Suzuki will give you a new one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 07/24/16 at 20:19:20

If they used his bikes in an ad they should give him one with a gold plated frame!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/25/16 at 04:30:23

batman.   Ordered it yesterday.

Kenny.  I've considered going with a different carb, but I am trying to keep Thumper as stock as possible (and using minimum parts) to see what long term problems can occur.  

JOG.  Someday, it will totally grenade.  But, not today!!  I am seriousely considering sending the head off to Lancer to get the valves done.  The oil useage is getting to be a bit much.  Ain't had it open that far yet.

For the moment..  Thumper has the carb from Hamish as Hamish is on the stand for an oil leak.. and I fear it is the head gasket.  I'm going to  put some pressure in the crank case today to see if I can find out exactly where it is leaking.  Guess I should have torqued those head bolts when I had the head cover off.  Oh well..  Do what I can before it gets too HOT!

Thumper will get his carb back when I get the new slider in..  but, I  have to able to RIDE!!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/25/16 at 08:16:19

am seriousely considering sending the head off to Lancer to get the valves done.

People I've talked to have said that if you do that then the compression will be better than your rings and they will crap out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/25/16 at 08:19:31

Kenny G wrote on 07/24/16 at 17:48:21:
Food For Thought

Guyz, When it starts to get that expensive to repair, would it pay to purchase a different kind of carburetor?

I know in years past I had Mikuni carbs that didn't have rubber diaphragms. I have recently spoken to Lancer about the possibility of putting a Lectron Carburetor on my S40

I am not sure that spending $500.00 to save $128.00 is a wise investment.

Kenny

Did we talk about the Lectron carb ?
My memory can be a bit sketchy at times.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/25/16 at 09:06:38

Lancer,

We talked about the Lectron and you said it is really good even though you don't sell them.

My bike is running so good right now I am reluctant to make any changes, but I probably will when the weather has cooled off enough to work in my garage.

I have thought also about the Mikuni that you sell.

Kenny G

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/25/16 at 11:13:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/25/16 at 08:16:19:
am seriousely considering sending the head off to Lancer to get the valves done.

People I've talked to have said that if you do that then the compression will be better than your rings and they will crap out.

JOG.  The issue with the valves is I am burning oil.  Just reseating (cleaning, lapping, whatever) the valves and changing the seals shouldn't cause the compression to sky rocket to the point of blowing out the rings.
IF I do replace the piston with a high compression 94mm (not sure yet).. well, new rings will be put in place as well.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/25/16 at 13:11:30

Mmmkay, I'm not the pro,, it's just stuff people told me, sounded reasonable to me, but, hey,,might be a load..

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 07/25/16 at 13:46:26

You can buy lapping compound at AutoZone. It's a simple job (other than getting to the valves) that shouldn't take you more than an afternoon.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/25/16 at 14:00:20

Kris01 wrote on 07/25/16 at 13:46:26:
You can buy lapping compound at AutoZone. It's a simple job (other than getting to the valves) that shouldn't take you more than an afternoon.

I looked into doing it myself.  Read all the different methods tips and tricks.  Yes, I could do it, but I'll be content to have Lancer do it, as he will do it all including porting and such.
"Reworked Cylinder Head:... Hand lapping of valves (includes new valve stem seals) & intake/exhaust porting to maximize air flow to increase power and efficiency.  The head is blasted on the outside and inside the ports as well.  $250"
One of the big problems with ME doing it.. is it is HOT here, and I don't have suitable work space.. that I am allowed to do suitable work in.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 10:20:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I see the light!!! (carb problem)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.