Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stop It (Read 303 times)
ero4444

weekender

Re: Stop It
Reply #15 - 08/07/16 at 15:52:20

ok I give up, what's a Trust Fund Trinket sleeper?

Had to laff at "Nazi slot clar" - you paint a picture alright.

Brakes be good to have.  The talk of high-speed cornering does not seem that relevant to braking.  My stock bike can only corner so hard and then it grinds pegs and nuts.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 08/07/16 at 16:06:18

Armen ,no matter how big your brake disc is the real limiting factor is how much rubber is in contact with the road and the weight of you and your bike .we will never be able to stop as fast as a car,they have flat tires ,our round tires don't have that much of a contact patch.Can you stop faster with your large brake ?yes ! but still not as fast as a four wheel car. Your best weapon is your brain, not tailgateing ,and being aware of traffic is much better than a larger brake.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #17 - 08/07/16 at 17:16:16

ERO,
That's spell correct killing me.
it was 'Trust Fund Trinket sleeper"

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #18 - 08/07/16 at 17:17:42

did it again
darn spell correct
I give up.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #19 - 08/07/16 at 17:29:33

Batman,
Problem is, around here if you leave more than a few feet between you and the car in front of you, someone else cuts in. Just how traffic is in the big city.
As far as stopping distances, the best cars are under 100', the best bikes around 120'. So, it isn't a night and day difference. But enough of a difference to give the advantage to the car in most cases.
My point was, optimize what you have.
I teach Motorcycle Maintenance in NYC, and there is always some hipster with a POS 70's CB Honda with the original brakes in pathetic condition. The goal is to convince them that the whole traffic world stops much faster than they do.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 08/07/16 at 17:44:32

Yea , I had cb 750 big problems back in that era, the motors back then always out ran the rest of the bikes,and they didn't get better with age!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 08/07/16 at 18:02:54

Armen wrote on 08/07/16 at 17:16:16:
ERO,
That's spell correct killing me.
it was 'Trust Fund Trinket sleeper"

Cmon, man.. try ..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #22 - 08/07/16 at 18:04:10

W...
H...
O...
R...
E...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 08/07/16 at 18:35:46

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, JERK!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #24 - 08/07/16 at 19:06:51

????
Spelled out the word the censor software was switching out on me.
It wasn't 'sleeper'
Anyway, let's get back to bikes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 08/08/16 at 05:02:00

Armen wrote on 08/07/16 at 19:06:51:
Anyway, let's get back to bikes.

OK.....

The end result of all this could be - if you want/need more front brake......Shawn's brake kit works really well.  It makes the front brake operate as well as most other "performance" bikes that are currently for sale.

If you are happy with the way the stock brake works.....never mind.

I was reading an article written by a Moto GP rider, and he was currently working on his braking - by concentrating on the first 3% of his braking.  He stated that before you can apply full braking....you need to apply the brakes and get the bike to transfer weight onto the front wheel.  You must not instantly grab a handful of front brake....as the weight is not yet on the front wheel and you will just lock up the front wheel.  This is applicable to our riding for the "panic stop" that you might have to make.....you need to apply the brakes gradually (but quickly) and let the weight transfer forward onto the front wheel....as more weight transfers forward you can apply more brake.  This can all take place in a very short amount of time - but you do have to allow the weight to transfer forward.  It is a good idea to practice this braking technique.....so your "muscle memory/instinct" you can access it when you need it!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #26 - 08/08/16 at 06:12:39

Dave wrote on 08/08/16 at 05:02:00:
I was reading an article written by a Moto GP rider, and he was currently working on his braking - by concentrating on the first 3% of his braking.  He stated that before you can apply full braking....you need to apply the brakes and get the bike to transfer weight onto the front wheel.  You must not instantly grab a handful of front brake....as the weight is not yet on the front wheel and you will just lock up the front wheel.  This is applicable to our riding for the "panic stop" that you might have to make.....you need to apply the brakes gradually (but quickly) and let the weight transfer forward onto the front wheel....as more weight transfers forward you can apply more brake.  This can all take place in a very short amount of time - but you do have to allow the weight to transfer forward.  It is a good idea to practice this braking technique.....so your "muscle memory/instinct" you can access it when you need it!

Shawn's BBK is a simple solution to terrible problem - Suzuki got the brakes wrong on the S40. The OEM brakes "feel" wooden, even with SS lines. Initial bite is OK, but they lack linearity so the more you squeeze the less effective they become. Shawn's BBK resolves this by provided enough stopping friction so force at the handle equates to linear stopping force.

Dave, the lesson you provided above is spot on. The brake lever is to be squeezed, not grabbed. The weight transfer to the front tire is significant (I've seen 75% quoted for hard stops), especially on a stock bike where the fork dive is substantial. This is why new riders need to be encouraged to leave the rear brake alone. New riders tend to get lazy and brake only with the rear, which provide wholly inadequate braking. Heck, I've been riding for over 40 years and rarely use the rear brake on the street (on dirt it's a different story and it's used to purposely slide the rear to change direction).

The front brake is everything, and that's why the OEM brakes need to be upgraded - they simply don't prove enough braking force.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 08/08/16 at 19:07:14

Bout time got some replies
Very good discussion worthy of SSs members

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 08/08/16 at 19:38:13

I hear of a lot of guys not using the rear brake. You're losing 25% of your stopping power by doing this.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 08/08/16 at 19:59:49

As your riding becomes more and more aggressive and you brake very hard with the front brake - the rear brake becomes less meaningful, and can even be dangerous.  There are several fellows with road racing experience in the group of old fellows that I go out and eat with - and they tell me that they don't use the rear brake on the race track. Evidently the problem is that with so much weight transferred onto the front wheel during heavy braking - the rear is very easy to lock up.....and when that happens the rear tire will slide out as the rear will try to swing around the front end.....it is far better for them to just use the rear wheel to control the direction of the rear and not use it for the minimal braking it might provide (this style is used on the primitive racing bikes without ABS to help them).

I have not reached that level of riding, and I still use my rear brake in most situations - but I have experienced the issue that the racers and sport bike riders are trying to avoid.  The Honda ST1100 had a very touchy rear brake, and it was too easy to lock up.  Once when I needed to stop quickly I was braking really hard, and the rear locked up and started to swing out the left side.  I had to release the brakes to straighten the bike out, and then get on the brakes again - luckily I had enough room to get slowed down even with the temporary release of the brakes.

It is kind of funny.....we start our riding career by being very careful with the front brake, then as we improve we use both brakes in unison....and for those folks who get to advanced levels and the threshold of maximum braking....they worry about the rear brake!

« Last Edit: 08/09/16 at 04:37:03 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:11:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stop It

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.