Send Topic Print
Stop It (Read 303 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Stop It
07/23/16 at 13:06:32

Are you having trouble stopping your Savage/S40 ? We know that front brake is weak almost to the point of being dangerous. Yeah some good pads & a braided line help some but that's like putting lipstick on a pig ! I recently bought the upgraded setup from Shawn here on SS. This was the easiest upgrade to do , just bolt it on & bleed it. This brake works great with good feel , still breaking it in but it gets better every time I ride it. I know many have tried it, what are your thoughts about the setup ? I think it was a good investment and it looks cool too !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Stop It
Reply #1 - 08/06/16 at 18:40:19

Wow 50 views and no replies. You mean to tell me no one else has bought one ! I noticed the other day while out tearing up the local farm roads & rippin thru town that I wasn't even using the rear brake at all. Guess when I see one of you on a twisty I'll just hang back till I see your brake light come on and throttle around you on the outside before I start braking and then I'll be gone,but will let you catch up so we can say hello !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/06/16 at 20:19:28

I never saw the brakes as underperforming. I could make the front tire squeal.. I never had it on a tight track and got the brakes hot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/06/16 at 22:27:10

I drive twisty mtn roads all the time,that 's where I live,but I never use my brakes ,I use compression braking going into a tight curve and power out halfway through,if your waiting to see my brake lights you won't be passing me cause I'd be gone!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 08/06/16 at 23:13:35

If all your using is compression braking going into turns your going slow.
My point is the stock front brake sucks good pads, braided hose,drilled rotor it still sucks. I'm sure you would whoop some butt on your roads just like I would whoop you on my roads. You have an unfair advantage , that would be your aerodynamic latex suit !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/07/16 at 03:57:37

Ya'll sure bragging a lot about your skills.
Is your youth feeling froggy or something ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/07/16 at 04:08:09

I bought Shawn's big brake kit, and this is my second riding season with it.  It definitely is a huge improvement over stock.  Most normal riding can be done with just 2 fingers on the brake lever.....aggressive braking takes another finger or two, and the brake is very smooth and controllable (it is not a touchy/grabby brake...it is very linear).

When (and how) you ride makes a big difference in your braking needs.  When I am on a casual ride on the local roads......I don't do a lot of braking for the corners.  We have a pretty open view of what is ahead, our hills our not real steep, and I seldom break the speed limits......it can take me several hundred miles of riding to seat a set of new pads with this kind of riding, and the stock brake worked OK - but it was definitely not as good as the brakes on my other bikes.

When I am on roads like the Dragon, Moonshiner 28, and riding in TN/NC, I use the brake a lot.  The area has very steep hills, decreasing radius turns, and very tight turns that cannot be taken at normal riding speeds.  When you ride at a fun speed on these roads - you are going to be using your brakes......a lot!  Last year I made a few aggressive runs on the Dragon, and a few times I was braking so hard the bike would "shimmy".....I believe there is so little weight on the back tire that it wiggles around.  Shawn's big brake kit did just fine and never gave a wimper (MM and Oldfeller's rotors had turned light blue/purple on that same trip to the Dragon),

The big brake kit isn't needed by everyone - some folks never push their bike beyond what the stock front brake is capable of......but if you do want/need a  better front brake, it does make a huge improvement.

« Last Edit: 08/07/16 at 13:02:29 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 08/07/16 at 05:28:39

Well, I'm doing a 12mm Grimeca master (had to change master with the 7/8" clip-ons), completely rebuilt caliper, drilled disc, aggressive pads,  steel braided line, and a very good front tire. I'll know before too long how well the set-up works. If it ain't up to snuff, then I'll do that upgraded set-up that is on the forum somewhere.
-Armen
PS Scuffed up the disc surface to help the pads bed in better/faster.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #8 - 08/07/16 at 06:01:20

I'm guessing the s40 is not a bike that most buyers want to fang.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/07/16 at 06:58:17

e big brake kit isn't needed by everyone - some folks never push their bike beyond what the stock front brake is capable of......

That sounds like my skill set. I'm able to scare myself and be challenged to keep my line and Feel like I'm going as hard through a corner as is reasonably sane without needing to make Big changes in speed coming into a corner. I'm only racing me. I'm just working on getting smoother and more consistent through the corners I play in. Since the bike I'm getting is wearing buckhorns instead of drag bars, and since I'm not as young and have had some
New ways of thinking
Come clear to me, I'm HOPING that my riding style will be less aggressive and riding slow and easy will be exhilarating enough so I don't feel the need to see how much exit speed I can get out of the corners. But then I keep Hoping for other things that don't materialize,,, so, we will see..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 08/07/16 at 07:05:43

Well..If going into a curve marked 35 at45 and poping out at 55-60 is going slow ....just call me slowpoke! but with 13" progressive shocks reduceing my rake my bike steers faster and no matter how far I lean it it no longer drag a peg. and I do push it's limits but I've been riding the same bike 20+ years.(I've never changed the back shoes, and have only changed the front disc pad once -27,000+ miles )If you feel you have to brake going into most curves our bikes setup /or our riding styles must be somewhat different.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/07/16 at 09:33:33

batman wrote on 08/07/16 at 07:05:43:
If you feel you have to brake going into most curves our bikes setup /or our riding styles must be somewhat different.

It all comes down to how far you want to carry the speed into the corner.  If you want to use compression braking to slow down gradually.....you don't need any brakes.  If you have the stock brakes and use them....you can carry your speed farther into the corner than you can without using brakes.  If you feel the need to carry the speed as far as possible and do late braking......a big brake really helps - and it looks really cool!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/07/16 at 10:50:49

"really cool" is that a technical term or just opinion ? dang! makes me what to break out my tie dyed T shirt with the peace symbol on the front ,my bell bottom jeans and harness boots and just ride! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/07/16 at 12:53:43

Would you prefer that I say it looks "Bad Ass"? Huh

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #14 - 08/07/16 at 15:14:59

Ruttly,
I agree with Dave. A lot of this has to do with where and how you ride.
This is a piece I wrote a while ago based on a conversation I had with an Airhead BMW owner. Most of the bikes I work on are ridden in NYC, which is a very different planet than the civilized world.

Tales from the lift:
Sometimes, I just need to explain stuff in a way a layman can understand...
Guy shows me his very clean R75/5, says it was 'totally gone through' needs nothing.
Yea, right.
Notice the tires are old. Suggest new tires.
Ask if the brakes had been attended to.
Blank stare.
Grab the front brake lever as hard as I can. Push the bars, bike rolls.
"Kinda exciting, riding with no brakes, eh?"
"I won't be going very fast" he says.
Shake my head.
"Lemme paint you a picture." I say:
This is NYC. The roads look like Dresden in '46. Following distances in traffic are measured in inches. You're heading up the FDR drive at 70 MPH (which is the speed you have to travel so as to not get run over from behind) behind some Trust Fund Trinket sleeper in a 911 Porsche. Suddenly the driver sees a pothole that could swallow a refrigerator, thinks about blowing up about $4K of wheels, and stomps on the brakes. With big honking tires, brakes that could stop cancer in your lymph system, and lots of groovy electronics, the car stops in about 108'.
So do you, except you do it by hitting his rear bumper at 50 MPH.
As you're flying over that ass-engined Nazi slot car, the wing-tipped wonder boy behind the wheel is speed dialing his lawyer to sue you for rear-ending his toy. You spend the rest of your life in a metal chair with big wheels on the side, pissing into a bag taped to your waist.
Bank stare.
"Uh, what should I do?"
Besides the tires, ditch the old/hard/nasty asbestos brake shoes. Install EBC brake shoes, scuff up the drums so they'll seat, new brake cable, dismember everything, lube pivots, repack/shim wheel bearings, adjust carefully. Stop better. Be less dead.
He went for it : )

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:36:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stop It

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.