exploiting a sickness (Read 84 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
exploiting a sickness
07/22/16 at 13:13:37

Armen"s post of 07-18-16 It's a sickness, woke the" gyver "in me!I thought what if we first took a cut across the face of the flywheel as close to the outer edge as we could, without loss of integrity,the thickness of say 1/8inch steel plate,then milling pockets as Armen did,and in making the pockets we removed 2lbs of steel we could pour them with lead and seal it in with a donut shaped piece of 1/8inch plate,making a 7 lb flywheel......why?.....while many of us,have found ways to increase horsepower,we have not addressed torque......I don't mean to single out Dave on this but I have read that he said,he has to feather his clutch at parking lot speeds and that he can't use 5th gear below 60 mph .I think these might be eased with a heaver fly wheel with the loss of a few hp on the top end, making the bike easier to ride and save gas by being able to use 5th gear at lower speeds.(reduced lugging)It may also raise the torque peak ,or extend it or shift it from3500 to a more useable level for highway speeds.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: exploiting a sickness
Reply #1 - 07/22/16 at 13:36:44

Common misconceptions here:
Heavier flywheel will not increase torque nor reduce HP.
At any specific RPM the same amount of Torque and HP will be produced, regardless of the weight of the rotating parts.
Acceleration is what is affected by the weight of the parts. Heavier parts change RPMs slower. Lighter ones faster.
So, if you want a plonker, use a heavy flywheel. Better low and steady RPM manners. Want a snappier bike, but maybe buzzier, and twitchy (RPM wise), then use a lighter flywheel.
There are always trade-offs. When we were racing a Bultaco 250 2 stroke in 250 GP AHRMA, the rider insisted on a heavy flywheel, no matter how loud I protested. We were at Daytona, and he chopped the throttle at high rpm. Even with the heavy flywheel, the revs dropped pretty quickly. The tonnage on the end of the crank was too much for the flimsy crank and snapped the end off.
As I was taking it apart, Keving Cameron (tech editor of Cycle Magazine, and as near to God as there is in the bike biz). I held up the flywheel and broken end of crank and started to say "Hey Kevin, what do you think?" when he looked at me like I was six kinds of idiot and said "You have to ask?".
Next round we had a lighter flywheel.
Having said that, I doubt the Savage would have similar issues.
But it would rev up and down faster. Exacerbated by higher compression and more displacement.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/22/16 at 15:07:03

Thanks Armen , I went back to school ,and your right ! the bike makes the same amount of torque with any  flywheel.I got it now! A little smoother at idle and low speeds with the heavy ,faster with the light,and faster braking if you don't pull the clutch in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/22/16 at 15:17:35

quicker with the light..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/22/16 at 15:29:53

guess the gyver stepped in some batsh*t this time! :- Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1