Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why I don't like to ride in the rain (Read 213 times)
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Re: Why I don't like to ride in the rain
Reply #15 - 07/21/16 at 10:33:56

I rode in the rain on the S40. Hell, on a trip back from http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/ I rode in a thunderstorm that also had pea-sized hail.  Shocked

I ride in the rain on the Vision. The really nice thing about it as long as I'm moving the only things that get wet are my helmet and my gloves.  Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #16 - 07/21/16 at 11:58:16

Nothing to it, just slow down, dress right, and look past your drops on your visor  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/23/16 at 04:17:13

Well.........The rain yesterday seems to have killed my cell phone - so I suppose that might be a good reason to hate riding in the rain.

I had it in my jacket pocket, and I assumed it was going to be enough protection when we got caught in the rain - but it appears I was wrong.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 07/23/16 at 06:16:34

Open it
pull battery
Leave it in a warm dry spot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/23/16 at 09:14:30

hope it ain't an Iphone, get them wet and the battery dies.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 07/23/16 at 10:05:03

Dave a ziplock sandwich bag works great

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 07/23/16 at 14:38:19

I always carry a couple of zip loc type sandwich bags in case I see rain coming.  I pull over, put cell, wallet and gps in them.
Killed my gps on the texas run 2 yrs ago... won't happen again Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/24/16 at 07:47:50

I rode through that same rainy texas day with my cell in a ziplock bag in my jacket, I got soaked pretty good despite Frog Toggs, but the phone was fine, hooray ziplocks bags

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 07/27/16 at 20:13:25

what's a cell phone? what's a gps? I took a 2000 mi ride to get away from all that! A seal-a-meal machine to bag my clothes before I leave,a tool bag,and a credit card for gas,food,and lodging ,a rain suit and I'm on the road!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 07/28/16 at 04:32:13

The cell phone and/or GPS comes in really handy when you are leading a group ride.  It is not nearly as easy to navigate intersections as a group and make quick lane changes......or to pull over and look at a map when you have a Gaggle of Savages with you.

I placed the Iphone in a bag of dessicant to see if that would dry it out, that didn't make it work.  Some places suggested taking it apart to let it dry out - and when I popped out the SIMS card I could see the little "water indicator" that they have installed in these phones - and it was still silver (they turn red when exposed to water).  It may have gotten water in it somewhere - but not enough to active the indicator.  I tried to fill out an online repair form - but it would not allow me to as it stated I had to turn off the "Find Iphone" setting.  Evidently the phone is still sending out signals - so maybe the screen has just stopped working?  I eventually had to go to the Verizon store and have them turn it off.  Then the repair page wouldn't recognize that I still had that phone....I had to call and talk to someone - but within 12 hours they had a box delivered so I could send the phone in for repairs.

Time will tell if this ends up being a Warranty repair or one I have to pay for.......or if I end up just keeping my old phone and getting a new battery as the current one is old and only powers the phone for about 2 hours.  I need to have a phone for my job (and it is a company phone).....so going without one is not an option.

I have  a Sena radio headset, and having the Iphone give me verbal route instructions is incredibly handy when trying to get to a destination in unfamiliar areas.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 07/28/16 at 14:02:07

Next stop?  Blow drier and a six pack of your favorite beverage, or maybe a heater set to low.....
Make sure the phone is a decent distance... but constant "dry heat" will dry it out. Doesn't always work here in florida, but hey... you gotta try something.
Do a you tube search on your particular model and maybe you will get a hit on how someone got theirs to work after a wetting.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/29/16 at 03:39:06

old_rider wrote on 07/28/16 at 14:02:07:
Next stop?  Blow drier and a six pack of your favorite beverage, or maybe a heater set to low.....
Make sure the phone is a decent distance... but constant "dry heat" will dry it out. Doesn't always work here in florida, but hey... you gotta try something.
Do a you tube search on your particular model and maybe you will get a hit on how someone got theirs to work after a wetting.

Apple Service has it now....the fate of the phone is in their hands.  If they fix it under warranty all is well.  If they fix it at my cost I believe it is $ 269, if I get a new battery for my old phone it is $ 129.  (I tried one of those $ 29 batteries from eBay and they only last about a month).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:48:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why I don't like to ride in the rain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.