Send Topic Print
buy old or new? (Read 334 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: buy old or new?
Reply #15 - 07/19/16 at 01:48:24

Works on dusty stuff on hardware store shelves.
I got a 2" Bulldog hitch for ten bucks..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 07/19/16 at 02:02:12

Antje, the stock IRC tyres aren't much to write home about. If you do buy the new one, don't push the limits, particularly in the wet. Once you have a couple of thousand miles up consider replacing the rear, the front isn't as bad. Popular value for money choices on this site are Shinko and Kenda. The techies here will soon advise on size, i.e 140/90 15.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/19/16 at 04:12:07

If you love working on motorcycles, tinkering, and you enjoy having wrenches in your hand almost as much as having the grips in your hands while riding......then you can get a really good deal on a used Savage.  It likely will need the head plug removed and replaced if it has not been done, if it has 10,000 miles or more you are going to need the cam chain tensioner looked at, the Raptor Petcock is always a good thing to install so you don't have problems with the vacuum operated petcock, the bolts at the front/rear of the cylinder can weep oil, it will probably have old tires on it unless they have already been replaced....etc.

If you don't have tools and a nice place to work.....you most likely are better off getting a new bike.  Just be wary of the dealers that hate working on the Savage, and don't understand how to keep it running.  This forum is very good at diagnosing problems that come up.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/20/16 at 17:56:01

After expanding my craigslist search I found a number of interesting bikes. I will check out one tomorrow: 2007 4200 mi. decent tires, new battery and looks in great shape on the photo. Got its yearly check up.  It is the wife's bike and she doesn't want to ride any more. Asking $1650.
I am crossing my fingers that it really is as nice as it sounds.   Cool
If I get it I just have to figure out how to get it in the truck.  Scrounging in the wood piles to get 2 planks long enough.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #19 - 07/20/16 at 18:11:55

Back up to a ditch!  Or, go rent a little haul. It's worth it for a good deal you don't wanna miss.  Luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/21/16 at 20:42:24

I got the 2007 S40.  4200 mi. It is nice and clean.  But I think the carburetor could use a little cleaning. Oh, and just a little backfiring.  
I did back the truck against a hill to load and unload the bike.  Glad it made it into the garage pretty easily.
Tomorrow I will have a tight squeeze to register it between appointments....Will be riding this weekend Cool
Thanks for all your help!

IMG_0173.JPG
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #21 - 07/21/16 at 21:03:45

Nice!  Welcome to the cult...I mean club  Wink

Carb probably won't hurt by a good once over. You need to read and understand the white spacer mod and also remove the brass plug to get to the air mix screw. Read up and ask questions. Once in the carb you don't want to damage the plunger or plunger parts. And some parts like the dimpled thingy go in a certain side up.

If you do anything smart, do these two. Go to the marketplace and buy Dave's stainless allen screw set to replace all of the carb screws while it is off. And get a set of JIS screwdrivers. If you have any carb screws that are stuck, you'll strip them out trying too hard with a standard US phillips. They're different! Ask me and Dave how I know  Shocked

Looks of the header pipe it may be running a bit lean.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/21/16 at 21:15:26

The bike also came with the clymer manuel.
I will read up and try to understand the carburetor
I'll check out the screws and tools

Do you think the discoloration means it runs lean? Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #23 - 07/21/16 at 21:16:16

Since there's plenty of wood in you garage, make up a piece about 8"x 8" and 2 3/4" you will have a good little packer you can put under the stand to check your oil level, some use a brick. Bike must be level or near level to check the oil according to the handbook. There are errors in Clymer, and a thread in the tech section which points these out.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #24 - 07/21/16 at 21:22:30

The bluing sometimes occurs from getting a bit hotter than normal. Nothing to worry about...you'll hear other comments about pipe coloring and lean jetting. Some rejet, some just adjust the air mix screw...just depends on your bike and elevation, etc.  Just get familiar with the bike, and if it runs good enjoy it for a while before tearing into it. Keep hanging around here and everyone here will keep you on the up and up. Great folks here.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Antje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 07/21/16 at 21:24:18

Great- I easily can make a block to get the bike level.

And I don't see the tools in the Marketplace.  They must be out right now....

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #26 - 07/21/16 at 22:32:20

welcome you will have fun, the guys hear really know there stuff listen and learn. i did. one of the best spots on the interwebs

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #27 - 07/22/16 at 00:17:59

If you are referring to the stock tool kit, it's not that much to write home about either. The open end spanners and the screwdriver may have uses. The pliers next to USELESS, I never got the belt tensioner thingy in mine and I brought new. The tube spanner well?????
Do what Zippi says and enjoy it for a while before embarking on tuning and so on.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #28 - 07/22/16 at 06:58:39

Here's the link to Dave's allen screw set:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1443182703

As for the JIS screwdrivers, they aren't sold in our marketplace, sorry.  You'll need to get them locally or either order. They aren't super cheap, but worth it to not strip critical screws. I think I paid $25 for 4 of them. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS-Screwdriver-Set-NEW-3rd-Gen-New-/3112...

Oh...and if you don't have one, an impact driver (see pic) from Home Depot (mine carries one) can come in handy breaking loose some of the external carb screws as well as others that are stuck. It's a happy balance between smacking it hard enough to break the screw loose but not so hard you bend and bang things up.

47641.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #29 - 07/22/16 at 08:25:56

Before you start on the carb, you might want to drain the tank and replace with fresh gas and a dose of carb cleaner.  Worth a try....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:43:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › buy old or new?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.